UPS Employees are working unsafe why doesn't the Union correct this problem?

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all Teamsters,

For Discussion:

UPS employees chronically work unsafe.

You know, we all know it.

Why do they chronically violate the UPS safety training they are given?

Most even sign the training saying they have been properly trained, yet they violate this training anyway.

Why?

In Article 18 of the Master Contract the IBT leaders state that the safety of the employees and the general public is of the utmost importance.

Why doesn't the leadership of the IBT and the local unions put a stop to the unsafe work practices perpetuated by their own membership?

There must be a reason.

Please share if you will.

Sincerely,
I

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
To all Teamsters,

For Discussion:

Most even sign the training saying they have been properly trained, yet they violate this training anyway.

Why?

In Article 18 of the Master Contract the IBT leaders state that the safety of the employees and the general public is of the utmost importance.

Why doesn't the leadership of the IBT and the local unions put a stop to the unsafe work practices perpetuated by their own membership?

There must be a reason.

Sincerely,
I

I do, when and if I see it happening. Especially if it's a younger guy slinging hardware or doing generally unsafe things to get the work done.

The unsafe environment that's fostered by UPS has a lot to do with the recent generation of PT supervisors. Most of the sups I've seen promoted over the last 2 or 3 years have been under 21 and a lot (not all) of them don't appreciate the toll a physical job can take on the human body over the course of a decade or three.

The best advice I ever received was at about my year and a half mark while I was chucking 100+ lb irregs onto a catwalk. An older feeder driver came up to me and said, "Hey, just because you're a big guy doesn't mean they can expect you to do all this **** by yourself. I've had 2 back surgeries, a knee surgery, a shoulder surgery, and I need another one soon. Protect yourself."

Most of the "unsafe work practices" that get ignored don't result in a catastrophic injury/fatality/equipment damage but end up destroying people's joints and backs over a period of years and years. Those type of injuries are a lot easier to "sweep under the rug" because UPS doesn't have a direct financial incentive to police them.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
UPS employees chronically work unsafe. Really....

Why do they chronically violate the UPS safety training they are given? Examples ?

Anything an employee signs is null and void.... Read Article 6 Section 1

There must be a reason.

Sincerely,
I

So.... You think the Union should run the company's business for them, and discipline their own members ??

-Bug-

And Lord knows they NEVER are encouraged to push the limits by the very managment that had them sign the paperwork.

"The men who spurned me on now sit in judgement of my wrongs"

Integrity

Binge Poster
I do, when and if I see it happening. Especially if it's a younger guy slinging hardware or doing generally unsafe things to get the work done.

The unsafe environment that's fostered by UPS has a lot to do with the recent generation of PT supervisors. Most of the sups I've seen promoted over the last 2 or 3 years have been under 21 and a lot (not all) of them don't appreciate the toll a physical job can take on the human body over the course of a decade or three.

The best advice I ever received was at about my year and a half mark while I was chucking 100+ lb irregs onto a catwalk. An older feeder driver came up to me and said, "Hey, just because you're a big guy doesn't mean they can expect you to do all this **** by yourself. I've had 2 back surgeries, a knee surgery, a shoulder surgery, and I need another one soon. Protect yourself."

Most of the "unsafe work practices" that get ignored don't result in a catastrophic injury/fatality/equipment damage but end up destroying people's joints and backs over a period of years and years. Those type of injuries are a lot easier to "sweep under the rug" because UPS doesn't have a direct financial incentive to police them.
PiedmontSteward,

What to the BAs do when they witness these unsafe behaviors, do they challenge it?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
So.... You think the Union should run the company's business for them, and discipline their own members ??

-Bug-
BigUnionGuy,

I didn't suggest this.

Are you telling me that the Union is powerless to stop unsafe work practices in UPS?

I hope this is not what you are telling me.

Please elaborate on your point.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
And Lord knows they NEVER are encouraged to push the limits by the very managment that had them sign the paperwork.

"The men who spurned me on now sit in judgement of my wrongs"
cachsux,

The men and women who engage in the unsafe work practices are responsible here.

Are you telling me that contractually we have to engage in activities that by the admission and compulsion of UPS safety training are unsafe?

Please tell me what you are trying to say with your statement.

Sincerely,
I

packageguy

Integrity You ask a question you know the answer to. Work safe have you ever see some of these trucks. The way they are loaded. Front to back and floor to ceiling, over weights mixed in. You bring it to supervisors attention. They say sorry we have no where to put it. I respect the questions you ask but come on. I am not one to complain, I do it I keep quiet. it just takes longer....

texan

BigUnionGuy,

I didn't suggest this.

Are you telling me that the Union is powerless to stop unsafe work practices in UPS?

I hope this is not what you are telling me.

Please elaborate on your point.

Sincerely,
I

cachsux,

The men and women who engage in the unsafe work practices are responsible here.

Are you telling me that contractually we have to engage in activities that by the admission and compulsion of UPS safety training are unsafe?

Please tell me what you are trying to say with your statement.

Sincerely,
I
I still wonder, what do you do with the information you obtain?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I still wonder, what do you do with the information you obtain?
texan,

Wonder no longer.

I read it.

Sometimes I respond in discussion, sometimes not.

This is an online discussion forum in the sub forum about union issues.

That is what I am doing participating in an online discussion.

No great mystery!

Blessings to you!

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity You ask a question you know the answer to. Work safe have you ever see some of these trucks. The way they are loaded. Front to back and floor to ceiling, over weights mixed in. You bring it to supervisors attention. They say sorry we have no where to put it. I respect the questions you ask but come on. I am not one to complain, I do it I keep quiet. it just takes longer....
littleboybrown,

No I do not. I can't answer questions directed at others.

This discussion is more focused on the unions response to unsafe work practices.

Can you speak on this topic?

Sincerely,
I

packageguy

littleboybrown,

No I do not. I can't answer questions directed at others.

This discussion is more focused on the unions response to unsafe work practices.

Can you speak on this topic?

Sincerely,
I

Yes, my times my union reps are. They see it they also address it to supervisors and building manager, and the same answer is we have no where to put it. As a steward I just ask is the route next to him lighter, put it there and the driver meet up later? I am with UPS 20 years and no injuries. That's not being lucky that's working smart.

curiousbrain

I got a little emotional in your last thread about "safety" - and yes, Integrity, I put it in quotes because it's a joke of an idea at this company.

As for this thread, the reality is very simple:

1) Some don't put up with unsafe working conditions - and they file, and the company pays. It's a cost of doing business.

2) Everyone puts up with unsafe working conditions because they feel helpless. And the company laughs all the way to the bank.

Ask any question you want, rhetorically or not, that is the simple fact on the inside - if you fail to see it, it is not the fault of me or anyone else, but rather your own lack of Integrity (note the capitalization) to recognize the situation as it really is.

edit: I'm not a Teamster anymore, so I should shutup.

Last edited by a moderator:

texan

Yes, my times my union reps are. They see it they also address it to supervisors and building manager, and the same answer is we have no where to put it. As a steward I just ask is the route next to him lighter, put it there and the driver meet up later? I am with UPS 20 years and no injuries. That's not being lucky that's working smart.
And the Wisdom and Blessing you perhaps show in honoring the Creator, He gives you sir.
I see your "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith". Matthew 21:22 at the bottom of your post.
You seem not ashamed of the Gospel.
The Most High Blesses those that seek and look to Him.
Rejoice in HIS benefits.

packageguy

And the Wisdom and Blessing you perhaps show in honoring the Creator, He gives you sir.
I see your "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith". Matthew 21:22 at the bottom of your post.
You seem not ashamed of the Gospel.
The Most High Blesses those that seek and look to Him.
Rejoice in HIS benefits.

Thank you no shame here,

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
PiedmontSteward,

What to the BAs do when they witness these unsafe behaviors, do they challenge it?

Sincerely,
I

My business agent is responsible for my hub and two smaller package centers - somewhere between 1,500 and 1,800 employees. When he's in the hub, it's usually to briefly talk to the stewards or to handle a termination. I think that responsibility falls on the stewards and more seasoned bargaining unit members, personally.

Integrity

Binge Poster
littleboybrown,

What specific safety violation is being addressed when this issue is being addressed to management?

Have you ever had any minor injuries that you have not reported?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I got a little emotional in your last thread about "safety" - and yes, Integrity, I put it in quotes because it's a joke of an idea at this company.

As for this thread, the reality is very simple:

1) Some don't put up with unsafe working conditions - and they file, and the company pays. It's a cost of doing business.

2) Everyone puts up with unsafe working conditions because they feel helpless. And the company laughs all the way to the bank.

Ask any question you want, rhetorically or not, that is the simple fact on the inside - if you fail to see it, it is not the fault of me or anyone else, but rather your own lack of Integrity (note the capitalization) to recognize the situation as it really is.

edit: I'm not a Teamster anymore, so I should shutup.
brownbaggin,

You are a part time management person and you think safety is a joke of an idea at UPS.

Do you think this is a proper attitude or sets a good example?

Do you mean file a grievance? If so, then how does the company pay. Maybe you mean file a complaint with OSHA? Please explain.

I have clearly presented the situation as it really is. Please explain if you feel I have done differently.

Sincerely,
I

brownbaggin,

You are a part time management person and you think safety is a joke of an idea at UPS.

Do you think this is a proper attitude or sets a good example?

Do you mean file a grievance? If so, then how does the company pay. Maybe you mean file a complaint with OSHA? Please explain.

I have clearly presented the situation as it really is. Please explain if you feel I have done differently.

Sincerely,
I
i love you I but it doesn't matter. The system is broke and its truly unfixable.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
To all Teamsters,

For Discussion:

Why?

There must be a reason.

Sincerely,
I

If you really need to ask, you haven't been paying attention. Those are the workers who don't stand up for themselves.