UPS Employees are working unsafe why doesn't the Union correct this problem?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Also, the topic of religion has no place in discussions about UPS. It will ONLY lead to elevated emotions and arguments. Completely unproductive. Stop.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Sincerely,

I

The Union should know and challenge any rank and file member who is not following safety training immediately and firmly.

They should tell the member that they expect safety training to be following, they should also instruct the member to refuse to work in an manner contrary to UPS safety training.

They should also enlighten the member that there is very little they can do to defend clear safety training violation discipline.

I am trying to follow what you are saying.

But, if you have been to church today.... you might have been imbibing too much.... in the sacraments.

-Bug-

Integrity

Binge Poster

The Union should know and challenge any rank and file member who is not following safety training immediately and firmly.

They should tell the member that they expect safety training to be following, they should also instruct the member to refuse to work in an manner contrary to UPS safety training.

They should also enlighten the member that there is very little they can do to defend clear safety training violation discipline.

I am trying to follow what you are saying.

But, if you have been to church today.... you might have been imbibing too much.... in the sacraments.

-Bug-
BigUnionGuy,

I can't really help you if you don't follow this.

I am very sorry I couldn't clearly get my point across.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Also, the topic of religion has no place in discussions about UPS. It will ONLY lead to elevated emotions and arguments. Completely unproductive. Stop.
LongTimeComing,

True faith is part of everything a believer says and does.

I would agree that Threads directly related to faith are better moderated to another sub-forum but faith or religion mentioned within discussions is very appropriate for some.

Sincerely,
I

union4life

Why do they chronically violate the UPS safety training they are given?

Most even sign the training saying they have been properly trained, yet they violate this training anyway.

Why?

In Article 18 of the Master Contract the IBT leaders state that the safety of the employees and the general public is of the utmost importance.

Why doesn't the leadership of the IBT and the local unions put a stop to the unsafe work practices perpetuated by their own membership?
The reason employees don't work safe is simple and clear. These individuals choose to do so. They have their reasons (insert any excuse here) and will continue to do so until they reach the end of their willingness to do so.

As for the leadership of the Union not "putting a stop" to these unsafe practices, I believe mine does. I go to local meetings and craft meetings. I listen and ask questions. I use the information to re-enforce my UPS safety training.

Instead of asking your original question here, you should ask the employee(s) you are witnessing make the unsafe work habit. I look forward to reading your conclusions after you start polling these "unsafe workers".

Buck Fifty

Ok here's a perfect example for your. Our BA was in town last week and we had a driver who have almost 400 pieces on a p700. Stuff crammed everywhere not what I would say is a safe load.

The driver grabbed the BA and said we need to talk to the center manager. the BA asked what it was about. The driver took him to the load and explained it happens all the time. The BA laughed and was like what do you want me to do. Go out do your best and if u have a long day file 9.5.

How is this the BA's job. I'm a steward and I look at loads everyday, most upon request. Can't tell you how many times the Preload Sup says they understand and start saying they will talk to the preloader about it. Complete waste of time. I tell my driver to go out and make them pay!!! It's the only thing the company understands. If a grievance is filed(and it should be), the decision will be that the company will comply. A packed truck is not unsafe if unpacked correctly, if you can read between the lines here. Make 'em pay !!!

Integrity

Binge Poster
How is this the BA's job. I'm a steward and I look at loads everyday, most upon request. Can't tell you how many times the Preload Sup says they understand and start saying they will talk to the preloader about it. Complete waste of time. I tell my driver to go out and make them pay!!! It's the only thing the company understands. If a grievance is filed(and it should be), the decision will be that the company will comply. A packed truck is not unsafe if unpacked correctly, if you can read between the lines here. Make 'em pay !!!
ICU,

You are saying that a packed truck in not a safety violation. It is only a safety violation if it is unpacked incorrectly.

I not sure how I feel about this.

If I recall others have posted here that they view a packed truck as a safety violation.

For thoses reading this how do you feel?

If you feel it is a safety violation than what is being violated? Egress? Sruck by injuries?

Please let me know of the violation.

Sincerely,
I

Buck Fifty

ICU,

You are saying that a packed truck in not a safety violation. It is only a safety violation if it is unpacked incorrectly.

I not sure how I feel about this.

If I recall others have posted here that they view a packed truck as a safety violation.

For thoses reading this how do you feel?

If you feel it is a safety violation than what is being violated? Egress? Sruck by injuries?

Please let me know of the violation.

Sincerely,
I

If my truck is packed, I open the bulkhead door and deliver the first box, then the second, then the third.... see where this one is going. What I don't do is fight the load or climb and reach for boxes. I clear a shelf after I clear the bulkhead and I work it safely from there. It might take all day and night, it might mean a driver or two have to come and help management out. But what won't happen is I won't get hurt or rushed. I make my own egress and unless one of the boxes is alive, I don't get struck by them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
If my truck is packed, I open the bulkhead door and deliver the first box, then the second, then the third.... see where this one is going. What I don't do is fight the load or climb and reach for boxes. I clear a shelf after I clear the bulkhead and I work it safely from there. It might take all day and night, it might mean a driver or two have to come and help management out. But what won't happen is I won't get hurt or rushed. I make my own egress and unless one of the boxes is alive, I don't get struck by them.
ICU,

It is clear that you don't view a packed truck as a safety violation.

I get it.

Based upon some previous posts, I'm not sure everyone posting on this site agrees with you.

Sincerely
I

Coldworld

60 months and counting
One of the fastest ways to get hurt is when the load falls against the bulkhead door or the back door and the driver trys to rock the door up and down to get it open....that will screw your back up faster than you can say yellow spandex....

Integrity

Binge Poster
One of the fastest ways to get hurt is when the load falls against the bulkhead door or the back door and the driver trys to rock the door up and down to get it open....that will screw your back up faster than you can say yellow spandex....
coldworld,

Is it your opinion that a packed truck is a safety violation?

Sincerely,
I

Dragon

Package Center Manager

I still have not figured out why they ask the steward to look at a load? A full truck does not give any one a reason to get hurt. Everytime something falls against the door its some how UPS fault????

Not picking on you ICU, just saying....

Buck Fifty

I still have not figured out why they ask the steward to look at a load? A full truck does not give any one a reason to get hurt. Everytime something falls against the door its some how UPS fault????

Not hurting my feelings, ya'll pack that truck as full as you like. I get paid by the hour.

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't know about preload or PC, but on my midnight shift in our unloads we constantly have people sending things over railing or down ladders to the floor below instead of using the irreg slide, even when it's empty and the package can fit down it. Or people going up and down the slides because they don't want to clear a path or ask the person in the bay next to them to stop the belt for a second so they can cross over it. I really can't blame the hourlies though, all the supervisors do it, even the trainers. It's also happened in front of multiple shop stewards and nothing is said. I've mentioned it to a few supervisors and nothing is changed because in their view fixing the problem will hurt production.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I don't know about preload or PC, but on my midnight shift in our unloads we constantly have people sending things over railing or down ladders to the floor below instead of using the irreg slide, even when it's empty and the package can fit down it. Or people going up and down the slides because they don't want to clear a path or ask the person in the bay next to them to stop the belt for a second so they can cross over it. I really can't blame the hourlies though, all the supervisors do it, even the trainers. It's also happened in front of multiple shop stewards and nothing is said. I've mentioned it to a few supervisors and nothing is changed because in their view fixing the problem will hurt production.

When unsafe practices like this ingrain themselves into an operation like you have described, the only thing you can do is look out for yourself and do things the right way. When the problem is this widespread throughout the hourlies and various groups of management, this means there is a serious lack of any sort of full-timer enforcement. In order to change this type of culture.....a few upper management people either need to leave or start involving themselves more than they are. It's going to take a hard-ass midnight shift manager, with help from the full-timers, to change this problem.

How often do you see upper management in the operation? Do full time supervisors correct anything or look away?

Aaaaaaaaaaammeeeeeeeeeeennnnn,
​LTC

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Everytime my truck is packed from front to back and I have misloads and things aren't where they should be its somehow the drivers fault if they are overallowed...thats not ok.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Nimnim,

What safety violation are you claiming here?

What is the hazard?

Sincerely,
I

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Nimnim,

What safety violation are you claiming here?

What is the hazard?

Sincerely,
I

Seriously? You can't figure that out from reading the same exact post that you quoted from Nim? Are you still wondering why people think you are a troll?

Do you understand that it's clueless questions like these that make people question what your role is at UPS? What must you do at UPS that would make you ask these questions when their answers are painfully obvious. Again, do you understand how this is a sign of trolling?

Do you understand that interaction requires questions and answers from BOTH parties? How many questions have you answered lately? How many years have you been with UPS? How old are you? Male or female? Been in management? Been in the union? Still in the union? Do you work for UPS at all?

Did you seriously ask those questions? Why don't we visit the 5 keys to preventing slips and falls....item #3 Do not walk on unsecured conveyors, rollers, chutes, and slides. I highlighted the parts that MAY have something to do with Nim's post. Ever heard of hand-to-surface methods? Do you think dropping a package that is 70lbs or more over a railing 6 feet off the ground sounds safe? What do you do at UPS that prevents you from drawing these conclusions and feeling the need to ask these questions.....if you are not just a troll?

Go away unless you are going to add something useful to the conversation.