UPS finally says something and means it

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
someone in corporate finally grew a brain, that this is good business practice has been obvious to everyone for years

I've been wondering about this since starting here. I don't know all the accounting, but it always seemed to me that paying a full scale driver 50 bucks an hour to work OT was much more expensive than paying a brand new driver 18.75, even after considering benefits and pension payments. People like to throw in things like extra gas and insurance for vehicles, but I'm pretty sure you're only looking at an extra few miles per day per extra route, and insurance is probably about the same if the car is sitting in the lot as it is if it's on the road. I could be wrong, but that's how I always figured it. I came from an industry where OT was avoided like the plague.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Regional pay would be the simplest answer much like management. Really not that difficult, and it would allow UPS to pay more competitively where needed.

Here clerks were never drivers and only one washer was a driver and he was only a peak driver.

Both actually have different unions all together. Teamsters but different locals.

Top scale is determined by supplementals, is it not? But I bet a JC could get a higher amount for more specific areas. And UPS can always choose to pay more if they felt the need.

dudebro

I've been wondering about this since starting here. I don't know all the accounting, but it always seemed to me that paying a full scale driver 50 bucks an hour to work OT was much more expensive than paying a brand new driver 18.75, even after considering benefits and pension payments. I came from an industry where OT was avoided like the plague.

We don’t see everything Corp sees. Who knows what national contracts we sign and what they say.

For instance, it’s possible the company understaffed as a defensive position in case they lost a certain very large shipper, and wanted to retain the ability to downsize.

Maybe now there are some type of assurances, contractually or otherwise, where this is very unlikely.

babboo25

Banned
After working for this company for over 31 years I have been involved in so many changes that the company says are mandatory for the company's success and just like a lot of you I would Yawn and say that'll never happen. Well to my surprise it's been over 2 1/2 months and overtime has come to a screeching halt not to mention many guys not even getting eight hours. I was shocked to see how many pay guarantees there were on the ops report I have never seen it like that not to mention so many guys upset about losing the overtime and now with these hybrid drivers they're taking away the majority of the overtime for everyone else. We were told this is going to be the new norm and there will be very little if any overtime during peak. Well I know a lot of you will laugh and make all kinds of comments but it's coming your way just thought I would give you a heads up be prepared I feel bad for a lot of the guys that are just starting they can barely make it not to mention the people that were used to the overtime or I should say it was forced on them and it became part of their financial income it's pretty scary I think the company really did us wrong. Also after speaking with the center manager they claim they are killing it on at their financial numbers with not paying all of the overtime even with adding extra drivers will be interesting to see how the fourth quarter results are but that'll be an indication of whether or not this stays.anyhow Will keep you posted but again start downsizing and get a grip of your financial situation truly thought this would never happen. Also would be curious to see how other centers are at this time thanks guys talk to you soon
Averaging 8.6 a day, still bringing home $1200 week thanks to TRUMP

Nolimitz

Regional pay would be the simplest answer much like management. Really not that difficult, and it would allow UPS to pay more competitively where needed.

Regional pay scales suck. If you doubt that try FedEx and see. Our state is on the lowest national scale, yet the largest city here has a COL close to most large cities in Ca. Plus you will have a 10 year top out at 1/2 of UPS top range.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I've been wondering about this since starting here. I don't know all the accounting, but it always seemed to me that paying a full scale driver 50 bucks an hour to work OT was much more expensive than paying a brand new driver 18.75, even after considering benefits and pension payments. People like to throw in things like extra gas and insurance for vehicles, but I'm pretty sure you're only looking at an extra few miles per day per extra route, and insurance is probably about the same if the car is sitting in the lot as it is if it's on the road. I could be wrong, but that's how I always figured it. I came from an industry where OT was avoided like the plague.
Cars add up... insurance, them you need another mechanic and parts... then the possibility of an accident with more routes on the road... all that HAS to add up... if it was cheaper to put extra guys on the road they would have done it years ago... I believe some of this is about service and their on time network....I see hours creeping back up after Christmas... just wait... maybe not 60 hours for the guys in pkg but definitely not just 8....

davidix

Absolutely love the direction we're going with the overtime. It was a huge issue.

If you want more hours you can ask the center manager and they'll give you more work. Have you guys tried asking? Have they ever said no? There's always something to do.

tacken

Hang on folks its a brand new UPS headed your way. You cant make it when your at the top of the pay scale in your area. That's a you issue fix your budget! How many complaints were on here about not seeing your family? Well now you will be able to see them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Any management person who claims that we will only be working 9.5 hours this peak is simply regurgitating a corporate talking point.
The 8.2 hour day is a flavor of the week deal. Enjoy it while it lasts. If you need the OT, follow ORION and get your 10.
It is not a coincidence that the 8.2 mandate, the loss of ODO, the Investor “transformation” Conference and the contract vote all happened at the same time.
The narrative that the company is attempting to put forth to both employees and investors is that we are being “transformed” by new technology that is a quantam leap in efficiency, and that the company now has the ability to replace us with low paid off-the-street new hires who can use the new technology as a substitute for area knowledge. Reducing our OT injects a bit of fear and financial uncertainty into the workforce (always a plus when a contract is being negotiated) as well as propping up the illusion that ORION works.
Enjoy the 8.2 hour days. They wont be around for very much longer.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Regional pay scales suck. If you doubt that try FedEx and see. Our state is on the lowest national scale, yet the largest city here has a COL close to most large cities in Ca. Plus you will have a 10 year top out at 1/2 of UPS top range.
Why would you automatically assume that regional pay would result in ten year progressions. I hear your point about your city compared to California prices but management already has pay zones. Where I live is the highest zone but a few hours away it’s not. It’s still California but it’s considerably cheaper. 8 hours a day or 14 hours a day we shouldn’t have the same pay scale across the country. This drop in OT just magnifies that point.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Absolutely love the direction we're going with the overtime. It was a huge issue.

It was the number 3 issue.

If you want more hours you can ask the center manager and they'll give you more work. Have you guys tried asking? Have they ever said no? There's always something to do.

Yep.

How many complaints were on here about not seeing your family? Well now you will be able to see them.

Some, will have to face the reality.... of seeing them.

:biggrin:

Any management person who claims that we will only be working 9.5 hours this peak is simply regurgitating a corporate talking point.
The 8.2 hour day is a flavor of the week deal. Enjoy it while it lasts. If you need the OT, follow ORION and get your 10.
It is not a coincidence that the 8.2 mandate, the loss of ODO, the Investor “transformation” Conference and the contract vote all happened at the same time.
The narrative that the company is attempting to put forth to both employees and investors is that we are being “transformed” by new technology that is a quantam leap in efficiency, and that the company now has the ability to replace us with low paid off-the-street new hires who can use the new technology as a substitute for area knowledge. Reducing our OT injects a bit of fear and financial uncertainty into the workforce (always a plus when a contract is being negotiated) as well as propping up the illusion that ORION works.
Enjoy the 8.2 hour days. They wont be around for very much longer.

@soberups has always been a source of intelligent observations.

How is he only a driver ?

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We don’t see everything Corp sees. Who knows what national contracts we sign and what they say.

For instance, it’s possible the company understaffed as a defensive position in case they lost a certain very large shipper, and wanted to retain the ability to downsize.

Maybe now there are some type of assurances, contractually or otherwise, where this is very unlikely.

But why put yourself in a position where your costs are higher, and you have service failures constantly if things are so uncertain? Sounds like the exact opposite of what you want to do, even in times of certainty.

Another consideration on employment costs is social security and medicare, which is around 7.6% for employers. 7.6% of $50 is higher than 7.6% of $20.