UPS hand trucks

542thruNthru

BTW, am I the only one who would take a Sharpie to put their last name on to the back of the plate by the handle?
No, but you worked in a small building where everyone knew each other.

I have 2 handcarts. Both have someone else's name on them. I've had them for 3 years. Have never once had anyone say something to me or even know who they are. We have had a couple people spray paint their handcart pink though. That seemed to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No you're not but that doesn't keep your handtruck from being highjacked.
Guys will take your handtruck and won't even bother covering your name up.
Ours was a very small center and for the most part everyone respected one another's stuff; that being said, there were a few mornings where I would have to play "where's my hand cart?".

One night I mistakenly left my iPhone in the cup holder. Got home, realized I had forgotten it and drove back to the bldg (15 min each way). It was sitting where I had left it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ours was a very small center and for the most part everyone respected one another's stuff; that being said, there were a few mornings where I would have to play "where's my hand cart?".

One night I mistakenly left my iPhone in the cup holder. Got home, realized I had forgotten it and drove back to the bldg (15 min each way). It was sitting where I had left it.
Did you grab another hand full of packages to deliver in the way home again?

Mutineer

I ended up buying my own from Honeyman Aluminum. They're the absolute best and worth the money. Chained it up every night. I acquired 3 over the years and the neat thing was they'd last 2 years before requiring any maintenance. I'd ship them back for a total refurbishment.

UPS used to buy these from Honeyman but the company got cheap as usual.
In '00, I left a box at a door at a dump of a house. Before I could get back into my van, a middle-age shrew of a woman came boiling out and began to rip me a new one about how stupid I and UPS are for "leaving your handtruck at my house six months ago."

She opened her garage door and rolled out a Honeyman hand truck with the folding extension and stair climbers.
Then she scolded me alI about how I should be fired and that I was lucky she kept it all that time.

She never noticed that I was FedEx Ground. And I did not bother to correct her. Mostly because I couldn't get a word in edgewise. And so I rolled the handtruck to my van, and used it daily for many years.

In '15, I bought a new one as a spare. When I ordered it, I sent a pic of my old one as a model. The woman taking the order said " oh, that's the model we used to make for UPS."

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
We called them two wheelers.
Many drivers would not leave them in the PC overnight ,locked or otherwise.
So there was a railing inside where they used to lock them to.
Over the years, every time a shipment of new ones came in, they were all gone in less than a full 24 hrs.
Some older drivers still used their small black metal ones.
They had or knew someone on their routes that could weld them up after they broke.

Mgt was known to hide them; in locked rooms or at the Customer Counter ( where permission had to be acquired to release one )

rod

Retired 22 years
Some older drivers still used their small black metal ones.
They had or knew someone on their routes that could weld them up after they broke.

Mgt was known to hide them; in locked rooms or at the Customer Counter ( where permission had to be acquired to release one )
My old steel one was more weld than steel.

sadmanhere

I hear dumpsters at ups facilities are a good place to find hand truck parts

In '00, I left a box at a door at a dump of a house. Before I could get back into my van, a middle-age shrew of a woman came boiling out and began to rip me a new one about how stupid I and UPS are for "leaving your handtruck at my house six months ago."

She opened her garage door and rolled out a Honeyman hand truck with the folding extension and stair climbers.
Then she scolded me alI about how I should be fired and that I was lucky she kept it all that time.

She never noticed that I was FedEx Ground. And I did not bother to correct her. Mostly because I couldn't get a word in edgewise. And so I rolled the handtruck to my van, and used it daily for many years.

In '15, I bought a new one as a spare. When I ordered it, I sent a pic of my old one as a model. The woman taking the order said " oh, that's the model we used to make for UPS."
is this the handtruck you're talking about?

Attachments

• Screenshot (6260).png
    Screenshot (6260).png
    142.7 KB · Views: 87

Mutineer

is this the handtruck you're talking about?
Close. But no. When I ordered mine, the woman on the phone said they only make the UPS model as a special order.

I dug out my receipt. Here's the build specs to give to Honeyman: O-8B12-52-NWH-STC-FPE36

Also, tell them to make the folding extension retainer in a manner that it latches into a circular saw kerf that is cut into the folding pipe extension. This is very important.

They made my extension retainer in a very different manner than my old handtruck. It was inferior in every way, hung up on boxes, bent repeatedly, and broke.

I had to make a new retainer, and cut a notch in the extension in order for my new handtruck to work as well as my old one.

Last edited:

sadmanhere

omg i saw the new black hand truck for ups. and it looks tiny compared to the old one
i was driving by and caught a good look. i cant wait to check it out . can anyone who has it now
see who the maker is?