UPS is wanting to “Buy” me out.

currahee

i'm 45 make 100,000 a year. I'm gonna retire when im 60. So any negotiations start at 1.5 million. Obviously they wouldnt pay that but they i wouldnt settle for a small payment just so they can get rid of me.

Skooney

I don't really know a lot about this stuff, or how relates exactly... But.. Be smart, hire a lawyer.

I have a really good buddy who went through disc replacement and shoulder issues at the same time about 5 years ago. He chose to let them buy him out for something like $80,000, if he wouldn't claim the injury again. The injury to his shoulder came back, and it was determined by another doctor it was never repaired correctly - and there was another injury to the shoulder that was in fact diagnosed but never fixed. (I'm not a doctor, how they determine all that I don't know.) He's STILL fighting with the company today, 2 1/2 years after the 2nd surgery to repair the shoulder. He never consulted a lawyer until after the fact, and the lawyer told him unless the number was enough to change your life, he never should have allowed them to buy him out - he's stuck with a pile of doctor bills and the company has tied this thing up now for a long time.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I heard a guy at my building was on and off of comp he blew out his knee was over compensating on other knee and blew that one out. Was out for like a year and the company gave him half a million to roll away in a wheel chair and never return. He was close to 25 years of service when he left.
That’s not a good deal. I got 25 years in. No way I’d only take 500k with 2 bad knees

25TOLIFE

I left due to a shoulder injury. Was not a smooth process. I had enough years in (22) for a disability pension but I think every local has their own language about early retirements from work injuries. Don't even think about negotiating with UPS by yourself. Be patient it can be a long back and forth process. Make sure future medical treatment for injured body parts is included in the settlement.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
i'm 45 make 100,000 a year. I'm gonna retire when im 60. So any negotiations start at 1.5 million. Obviously they wouldnt pay that but they i wouldnt settle for a small payment just so they can get rid of me.

That is not how Worker’s Comp Laws work. Each State is different.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
ADA would apple but would drop me to part time status.

Many times dropping to part time status would not be a decrease depending on your State law. Under an ADA accomodation, you may be entitled for the balance of your normal paycheck paid by the Comp company. In other words, if you normally make $1000 and the part time wage pays $500 then the Comp company has to pay $500 for a specified time. You can get your benefits back along with restarting your pt pension. You definitely need a lawyer to check with state law on workers comp.