UPS IT laying off 58 and older employees?

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Yea, actually, he does. Just as few people can do the type of thinking required of his job as can do the physical work of driving. I've done both jobs, and, I've been a mason tender working construction, which is a damn sight more physically demanding than driving. They're different.

Driving demands physical energy but when you're on a bid route, you can almost mentally check out all day. Knowing your air stops, floor stops, and next 5, next on call, becomes a routine. You fight boredom by running songs in your head, chat up receptionists for a few seconds, etc. Everyone here wants to talk about delivering a Bowflex up 5 flights but that's the exception not the rule. The rule for many is a paper route in the suburbs in good weather. And at the end of the day, you walk home without a single work worry. More packages will be there tomorrow, but I'm done today and walking out feels GREAT.

Try figuring out novel problems for an entire day. Try being on a call for 15 hours overnight working through an issue when Australia customs doesn't have the data they expect. No methods, no standard way of doing things, no routine, no way to just tell your on-car supervisor "I don't know what to do here, tell me what you want because it's not my problem". You're completely ignorant of this kind of work, based on that statement. You'll walk out of your office completely drained, without lifting a finger.
Same here, worked as a computer programmer for 10 years laid off in 09. Out of work 2 years and took seasonal driving position as a last resort and 7 years later still here as a full time driver.

watdaflock?

Haha. Welcome to the corporate world. Spend a career kissing ass, only to be kicked out the door before you're wanting to retire.
Typical white collar world.

Thanks Trump.

dudebro

Haha. Welcome to the corporate world. Spend a career kissing ass, only to be kicked out the door before you're wanting to retire.
Typical white collar world.

Thanks Trump.

There are no guarantees in ANY world, and there never have been, even prior to Trump if you can imagine that.

Ask all the Teamsters who worked for trucking companies other than UPS in the Central States. Ask any number of blue collar workers in other industries, union or otherwise. Companies exist to turn a profit and that's all.