UPS IT laying off 58 and older employees?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Walking out drained at 5 I assume? You have no clue. The pain and wear on the body doesn't exist in a chair. Hernias, herniated disc, and a new shoulder due to driving and working eleven hour days. Everyday on any route is new problems, hurdles, and time commits. No one checks out. You my friend are the ignorant one.
Like my Mom use to say, “The worst thing about ignorant people is they don’t know they are ignorant.

dudebro

That’s why when my boss asks me “What happened out there yesterday?” My response is always “You’re the one with the computer, why don’t you tell me.”

I agree if I were still in the hourly ranks this question would always get a dumb look in response. If you have an issue, bring the issue.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Is that way they are begging people to go management up here? Is that why they are removing the schooling requirement? Lol. Marketable skill?!! Lmfao. I didn’t know lies and bs was marketable. lol
He's not in management. He's in IT development.

542thruNthru

Operations management doesn't need skillsets like career white collar employees. That's why UPS tries to hire from the driver ranks.

It's funny to me how many OR supes believe they can take their supervisor experience to some big company. Being a supervisor at this job is a hundred times different than anywhere else. They don't really supervise more just yell and accuse.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I work as a senior developer in the Parsippany building, and I overheard conversations today that all IT employees that are 58 and older received an email this past Wed. stating that a severance package is being offered to them as a means to end their employment. From what I overheard, it's :

3 month's salary
paid unused vacation days
1 week pay for every year of service dedicated to the company (20 years = 20 weeks pay).

If you don't accept this package by June, then you are on bought time until HR lays you off for other reasons while avoiding age discrimination.

Does anyone have more knowledge of this situation and why this is happening? I was naive to think this is a company I can retire with and they will take care of me if I work hard, but this sent me the message that they are ready to kick me to the curb when I turn 58. I also overheard this was done in 2008 as well, is that true?

A lot of knowledge is about to head out that door and I am seeing more and more consultants pop up in this building. My future has just become murkier with these actions.
Lol Age based illegal layoff in this pc environment? Not too big of a lawsuit.

I'm not buying it.

vvv

This position is/was a mix of front and back-end. But the company is invested in old technology and most of the current employees are outdated. I have to practice in outside hours to stay relevant. The so-called job security is what made this attractive, i was sick of startups.

The company only knows about back-end my friend!!

IESucks

Good riddance to anyone who worked on the crap technology forced down our throats! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. FYI-Maybe now you understand the meaning of "They are all just a number...."
Winner!

the-elderly-on-computers.gif
[/QUOTE

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I work as a senior developer in the Parsippany building, and I overheard conversations today that all IT employees that are 58 and older received an email this past Wed. stating that a severance package is being offered to them as a means to end their employment. From what I overheard, it's :

3 month's salary
paid unused vacation days
1 week pay for every year of service dedicated to the company (20 years = 20 weeks pay).

If you don't accept this package by June, then you are on bought time until HR lays you off for other reasons while avoiding age discrimination.

Does anyone have more knowledge of this situation and why this is happening? I was naive to think this is a company I can retire with and they will take care of me if I work hard, but this sent me the message that they are ready to kick me to the curb when I turn 58. I also overheard this was done in 2008 as well, is that true?

A lot of knowledge is about to head out that door and I am seeing more and more consultants pop up in this building. My future has just become murkier with these actions.
If they offered that to us hourly grunts, where do I sign?