UPS IT laying off 58 and older employees?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Is that way they are begging people to go management up here? Is that why they are removing the schooling requirement? Lol. Marketable skill?!! Lmfao. I didn’t know lies and bs was marketable. lol
Operations management doesn't need skillsets like career white collar employees. That's why UPS tries to hire from the driver ranks.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Ups is offering a buyout for its non operations employees. We are talking labor, BD, and other jobs.

Oh yeah, no union employees!
Most likely, this buyout is aimed at 'management' you never come in contact with.

Why would UPS offer a buyout to Union employees?
Get rid of an unskilled employee with experience and replace with another unskilled employee except no experience.

That makes no sense.

Tony Q

Most likely, this buyout is aimed at 'management' you never come in contact with.

Why would UPS offer a buyout to Union employees?
Get rid of an unskilled employee with experience and replace with another unskilled employee except no experience.

That makes no sense.
Its for none operations management employees only.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Operations management doesn't need skillsets like career white collar employees. That's why UPS tries to hire from the driver ranks.
That’s how it used to be when we were a logistics company, but not any more. Now you need to be part time or a casual, then they lie to you and tell you how amazing it’s going to be. Then they even lower their own standards. If you want to be a UPS manager, learn to lie and cheat. Or be a politician.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
That’s how it used to be when we were a logistics company, but not any more. Now you need to be part time or a casual, then they lie to you and tell you how amazing it’s going to be. Then they even lower their own standards. If you want to be a UPS manager, learn to lie and cheat. Or be a politician.
Same as it ever was.
Or if you have the same qualifications and UPS will not promote,
become a Steward and if you have no integrity, a Business Agent.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Same as it ever was.
Or if you have the same qualifications and UPS will not promote, become a steward and if you have no integrity, a Business Agent.

Our BA is on an extended LOA from UPS. Rumor is when he turns 55 he is going to come back and work for a couple of days, "retire", resign as our BA and start drawing his pension, which would be 10 years earlier then he could if he were to remain with the union.

IESucks

Yea, actually, he does. Just as few people can do the type of thinking required of his job as can do the physical work of driving. I've done both jobs, and, I've been a mason tender working construction, which is a damn sight more physically demanding than driving. They're different.

Driving demands physical energy but when you're on a bid route, you can almost mentally check out all day. Knowing your air stops, floor stops, and next 5, next on call, becomes a routine. You fight boredom by running songs in your head, chat up receptionists for a few seconds, etc. Everyone here wants to talk about delivering a Bowflex up 5 flights but that's the exception not the rule. The rule for many is a paper route in the suburbs in good weather. And at the end of the day, you walk home without a single work worry. More packages will be there tomorrow, but I'm done today and walking out feels GREAT.

Try figuring out novel problems for an entire day. Try being on a call for 15 hours overnight working through an issue when Australia customs doesn't have the data they expect. No methods, no standard way of doing things, no routine, no way to just tell your on-car supervisor "I don't know what to do here, tell me what you want because it's not my problem". You're completely ignorant of this kind of work, based on that statement. You'll walk out of your office completely drained, without lifting a finger.
Walking out drained at 5 I assume? You have no clue. The pain and wear on the body doesn't exist in a chair. Hernias, herniated disc, and a new shoulder due to driving and working eleven hour days. Everyday on any route is new problems, hurdles, and time commits. No one checks out. You my friend are the ignorant one.

Heavy Package

I overheard conversations today that all IT employees that are 58 and older received an email this past Wed. stating that a severance package is being offered to them as a means to end their employment.

Good riddance to anyone who worked on the crap technology forced down our throats! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. FYI-Maybe now you understand the meaning of "They are all just a number...."

the-elderly-on-computers.gif

Heavy Package

This is not fair—-they had no say in what technology they would be working on.

What UPS does to us hourly workers rampantly each and every day is not fair. Constantly adding tracking devices, cameras, time constraints, and NO INPUT from people who must physically do the work. And who among them in IT raised their hand and said this doesn't make sense? Who among them didn't act like a typical drone to UPS? Who actually did the work that we do and then try and create better systems and processes that benefit the company?

Management has become so far removed from reality and the actual work that the lines are way too blurred.

Heavy Package

And another thing, Upstate.....

When I bring up issues to local (Center and below) Management - Why is it that UPS does not grant them access, rights, tools, or training to correct and fix things at the local level? Another HUGE failure in any internal IT system - No one can correct things locally and "adjust to changing conditions". The entire management mentality at this company is a FARCE.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And another thing, Upstate.....

When I bring up issues to local (Center and below) Management - Why is it that UPS does not grant them access, rights, tools, or training to correct and fix things at the local level? Another HUGE failure in any internal IT system - No one can correct things locally and "adjust to changing conditions". The entire management mentality at this company is a FARCE.

TSG is our Geek Squad.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Walking out drained at 5 I assume? You have no clue. The pain and wear on the body doesn't exist in a chair. Hernias, herniated disc, and a new shoulder due to driving and working eleven hour days. Everyday on any route is new problems, hurdles, and time commits. No one checks out. You my friend are the ignorant one.
It’s all work ... don’t be such a disk head!!!

:geeky: