UPS Management Complaining AGAIN.

twoweeled

Our Job is front door delivery. 10 seconds a stop at 170 stops is Almost a half hour. Half hour at 34 an hour, for 80,000 drivers (pulled number out of my ass..but we have like 330,000 something employees) is 1.36 million a day..assuming everyone worked under 8 hours. Most of the time that extra time is time and a half. Which is 4.08 million a day. So you can see how it is important we don't dick around.
Isn't it amazing how they (UPS management) have conditioned us? We have that damn clock always ticking in our head, and don't even realize what it does to us. They have us, thinking like them! It is our whole world, eventually. Tick tick tick,,,,

twoweeled

Do you think they would raise a brow if you told them it was 140 deg?

You would be surprised, it would at least make it to a managers attention.

Many, many people don't realize this about our cargo area.
I'm wondering how new you are. They've known for years. In the past, almost all on road management were drivers. Now, many of them just do that required 6 month joke of easy routes. But to answer you more directly - it makes no difference. They have to have certain numbers "at any cost"! Even at the cost of health risk. Management doesn't want you to get heat stroke or other serious issues, but risk/reward ratio tilts to needed production. UPS is nothing more than a huge pressure cooker. Everyone has to take care of themselves, because that is the world in UPS. There is no family. You family as long as you bring in the numbers. No numbers? Your the black sheep.

AZ Retired

allegedly went "Brett Favre" with his cell.
Yep like a stupid deer in the headlight... Like I stated on here a few days ago mgt has told us that we should be exiting out the drivers side door if we only have 1 or 2 pkgs...and that this is the new method that has been taught in new in road sup classes...even though they have always told us not to do this because of it being a safety issue....
Wow, exiting out the driver's door was taught to me as a driver way back in 1983! I was also taught to park on either side of the street (residential) in order to make my walk as short as possible. Then these methods went away and now it sounds like they are making a comeback. I never had any problems in my residential area parking like that. I was also taught to only close the bulkhead door at business stops, I could leave it open for residential stops.

moldsporh

And how many drivers we have over all the decades , if nothing hasn't been done by now it never well

Ups might make dumb rules , but they follow the ones that will hurt them
Agreed, but It's a fair guess that most have never taken it to a higher level.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow, exiting out the driver's door was taught to me as a driver way back in 1983! I was also taught to park on either side of the street (residential) in order to make my walk as short as possible. Then these methods went away and now it sounds like they are making a comeback. I never had any problems in my residential area parking like that. I was also taught to only close the bulkhead door at business stops, I could leave it open for residential stops.

Exiting from the driver side door? Yes.

Parking on the wrong side of the street? No.

DOK

This time, about the length of time that bulkhead doors are being left open..
"IT'S TELEMATICS!!!!"
Do they just try to find ways to make our lives even more miserable????????

Yes they told us about it too. Supposed to close the door if we're digging for packages for more than 15 seconds.

twoweeled

We are going to micromanage ourselves out of the package delivery game....wait and see
I've been sorta on the same thought. I think part of the problem is, They've squeezed all the juice outta the job! They are just coming up with BS rationalizations a lot of the time, because they can't think of any more legitimate ways to be efficient. On paper, it may sound good to go out the driver side door. But if you do it correctly ie. grabbing the handle, and ALWAYS maintaining 3 points of contact and handling the box correctly according to safety methods. I think that alone would prove extremely difficult. that box better be extremely small to handle with one hand and maintain 3 points of contact. there's not a lot of room to set that box down on the driver side. God forbid it bounces down the steps into the street and gets crushed! Who's fault might that be? YOURS! You didn't follow the methods! Because methods always make mention of "safely" do this or that. This BS has been going on since the beginning of time at UPS. I'm getting Pissed just writing this crap!!

underworked1

This time, about the length of time that bulkhead doors are being left open..
"IT'S TELEMATICS!!!!"
Do they just try to find ways to make our lives even more miserable????????
A metric that is measured is one that will be improved. That is the only reason they do this. Notice when they start talking about number of backs the drivers have, you start thinking about your backs during the day. The number actually goes down when this happens. It's actually very smart on ups part and makes us better drivers...then you see the FedEx guy drive by with his bulkhead door open and see him nose into a parking spot. And your jaw drops.

moldsporh

I'm wondering how new you are. They've known for years. In the past, almost all on road management were drivers. Now, many of them just do that required 6 month joke of easy routes. But to answer you more directly - it makes no difference. They have to have certain numbers "at any cost"! Even at the cost of health risk. Management doesn't want you to get heat stroke or other serious issues, but risk/reward ratio tilts to needed production. UPS is nothing more than a huge pressure cooker. Everyone has to take care of themselves, because that is the world in UPS. There is no family. You family as long as you bring in the numbers. No numbers? Your the black sheep.

How new?.....Have you ever driven a P600 with a wooden bulkhead door?...I had one for awhile... :) Over 20 yrs if that helps.

I understand what you're saying....I guess after so many years, you see how this company went from making sure we were dispatched correctly, missed pieces were a HUGE concern, to pretty much making you think, (especially the new drivers) that 170 plus stops is the norm and you are always not doing enough.

So based on what was said earlier about the cargo area, I really don't think alot of people understand, as well as people in the safety community, know how brutal these trucks are in the summer in regards to our personal workload.

twoweeled

How new?.....Have you ever driven a P600 with a wooden bulkhead door?...I had one for awhile... :) Over 20 yrs if that helps.

I understand what you're saying....I guess after so many years, you see how this company went from making sure we were dispatched correctly, missed pieces were a HUGE concern, to pretty much making you think, (especially the new drivers) that 170 plus stops is the norm and you are always not doing enough.

So based on what was said earlier about the cargo area, I really don't think alot of people understand, as well as people in the safety community, know how brutal these trucks are in the summer in regards to our personal workload.
LMAO! Yes, I've been in a P6. Not sure I had a wood bulkhead door, but it was a P6. Your correct. Unless people experience this stuff, they will have no idea of what the entire job is. All they ever did for the heat, was put some vents in right behind the bulkhead I think. Management new, but in all fairness - our managers and sup's didn't design the cars. Package is just plain tough! Package drivers are probably underpaid for what they do.
There is so much going on now in the company, something is going to have to give eventually. It's just like that pressure cooker on medium high, that's been on the stove for years. It's going to blow. Taking inflation into account, package just isn't making what they used to, and they deserve it. the company isn't going to pay, either. If another strike breaks out, it's going to be an ugly one!
and another strike is going to have to break out, in order to keep wages from falling (relative to inflation).
"170 plus stops is the norm and you are always not doing enough." Exactly right! That 170 has to go up, eventually. One way, or another.