UPS not delivering to Nantucket this summer

rss13

We have two island runs out of my building. When Lake Erie Ferries start running, we take a Tp-60 to the bigger island’s ferry and the ferry workers load it on the ferry and they act like an unofficial access point. The smaller island is bulk stop on a different route. The ferry takes them over in a box truck and also acts like an unofficial access point. In the winter both islands get their parcels via airplane.

We have filed multiple grievances to get those island routes to be delivered by drivers but so far those have fallen on deaf ears. I would love for the national to get ahold of these issues. So much sub-contracting involved.

belyl4

Lambs Package Service delivers both UPS and FedEx packages on Block Island in RI. The packages are delivered to the harbor on the mainland and ferried over to the island and then delivered by the third party carrier.

rss13

Lambs Package Service delivers both UPS and FedEx packages on Block Island in RI. The packages are delivered to the harbor on the mainland and ferried over to the island and then delivered by the third party carrier.
Have you guys filed on this for sub-contracting? Just curious if any other buildings have a similar experience as ours.

belyl4

Have you guys filed on this for sub-contracting? Just curious if any other buildings have a similar experience as ours.
I work out of a center in VA. Have family on the island and vacation there in the summers so that's the only reason I know about it. I've seen plenty of Sysco pups and Lowe's box trucks on the island delivering though.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Do the ferry boat captains "have to" follow mapnav while sailing between the mainland and the island, or do they use nautical charts? I can see a younger captain hitting a sand bar because Orion told him to go that way.

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a family that lived on an island on my route. They left signed delivery slips on top of the Coke machine at the local laundromat. If I had anything for them I would put it on top of that machine and give them a call. Did that for years--never had a problem.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The Ferry Service run takes just over two hours.
A barge & tug would take longer since the travel of speed is slower and the distance is increased.
Probably will add an extra day to all deliveries.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The Ferry Service run takes just over two hours.
A barge & tug would take longer since the travel of speed is slower and the distance is increased.
Probably will add an extra day to all deliveries.
From the article @cheryl posted.

The tug and barge would travel 52 miles between New Bedford and Nantucket, compared to around 28 miles from Hyannis. The trip would take approximately eight hours, leaving New Bedford at 6 p.m. and arriving on Nantucket at 2 a.m. Departure from Nantucket would be at 7:30 a.m.

CHEMA-DELMA

Dave Lame was a Package Division Manager who was in the old East New England District and left in the early 90's and started that business.

CHEMA-DELMA

The Islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard used to be the same service commit of the rest of Cape Cod. A few years ago they degraded the service to each Island by 1 day. Scheduling the to the ferry boats was not an easy task, the "Hot" pulls did not go well with the hubs but he boats depart on time. You had to have a good IE guy on top of the boat changes / added boats or cut. Somebody must have been on vacation when the dead lines were not met.

rod

Retired 22 years
The Islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard used to be the same service commit of the rest of Cape Cod. A few years ago they degraded the service to each Island by 1 day. Scheduling the to the ferry boats was not an easy task, the "Hot" pulls did not go well with the hubs but he boats depart on time. You had to have a good IE guy on top of the boat changes / added boats or cut. Somebody must have been on vacation when the dead lines were not met.
And I bet the guy who was on vacation is still laughing his ass off.

Star B

White Lightening
Washington Island, WI gets all the packages delivered to the ferry company and they shuttle it over. Everyone picks it up from the dock on the other side. I'm sure UPS has the same arrangement as we do.