UPS not on top companies to work for list.

unionman

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2010/full_list/

No way, really. Can't believe it! How can a company rated 47 on the Fortune 500 in America cannot crack the top 100 best places to work? Even our rival, FEDEX made the list although at the bottom.:dissapointed:
Says a lot when a company compensates its employees very well, better than Fed Ex and you are not as desirable a place to work as the lower paid company. Something is wrong with the culture at UPS.

Retired22

The culture at UPS? Take a look at this survey, 43 out of the 100 companies have a 0 or negative growth rate? I dont know if we want to be on this list.

Also, no company bigger than Fed Ex is on the list?? UPS has almost 400,000 employees which is almost twice the size of Fed Ex? I would like to see this survey with all large companies in one category. It is alot easier to control perks with a company of 10,000 than a company of 400,000.

unionman

The culture at UPS? Take a look at this survey, 43 out of the 100 companies have a 0 or negative growth rate? I dont know if we want to be on this list.

Also, no company bigger than Fed Ex is on the list?? UPS has almost 400,000 employees which is almost twice the size of Fed Ex? I would like to see this survey with all large companies in one category. It is alot easier to control perks with a company of 10,000 than a company of 400,000.
If UPS didn't pay good wages they would fail as a company because nobody would give a crap.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
If UPS didn't pay good wages they would fail as a company because nobody would give a crap.
actually, i disagree.

there are a lot of employees that give a crap, regardless of the pay.

for a liberal, you like to offer the option of being more open minded. you need to heed your own advice. not everything is as you see it.

as for ups failing as a company, again, you are overshooting your headlights.

d

randomUPSISer

actually, i disagree.

for a liberal, you like to offer the option of being more open minded. you need to heed your own advice. not everything is as you see it.

d

No no... he's right. I've personally watched the "give a crap" factor go down down down for UPSers since the company "revised" its health, pay, etc etc in the last year.

The company does good or bad despite the idiotic upper management, not because of it. Its called "Human Capital". Look it up sometime ;)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
there is a big difference between hearing the IDGAC factor, and seeing it.

I think you would find that the vast majority would still give a crap about the job tomorrow, even if you took away 25% of the money. its the nature of the ups employee to give a crap above and beyond the call. and usually give more of a crap than the management team above them.

d

UPSGUY72

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
you mean like this one?????

What makes it so great?
Employees are called "partners," but there are 30,000 fewer worldwide than last year because of store closings. Still, baristas tell us they love working at Starbucks because of the camaraderie -- and part timers, who make up nearly 90% of the workforce
yep, nothing like axing 30,000 employees, and the remainder is 90% part time. make for a great company, something we should emulate?

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Um, that would mean that 57 of 100 had positive growth rate. What is your point there? :sick:

Plus, if you only used large companies, then the survey would likely have to be reduced "Fortune 50". In that case, UPS would likely again miss the list.

randomUPSISer

you mean like this one?????

yep, nothing like axing 30,000 employees, and the remainder is 90% part time. make for a great company, something we should emulate?

d

We kind of already do that. Note the layoffs in the last year on all levels. Note the extreme amount of part time labor UPS uses.

At least at that company "partner" isnt just given lip service. At UPS, even when youre management, you are a partner when its convenient for the company, and not a partner when its inconvenient for the company.

Tony31yrs

What? UPS didn't make the top companies list? That's 107 years in a row-and they always treat employees so well. Where did it place on the "Best company to work for because of pay, benefits and pension while eating a lot of crap" list? What about the "management most like Gestapo" list?

purplesky

actually, i disagree.

d

You are so wrong! The pay is the only thing holding UPS all together. Working for UPS is all about not seeing your family and damaging your overall health. Its a trade off and most UPSERS get it. You will never convince the package car drivers its not about the money. It sure aint the cool uniform. Its not the thanks from UPS management for working your ass off everyday and helping UPS make huge profits. No its the MONEY!!!!!:wink2:

ups1990

You are so wrong! The pay is the only thing holding UPS all together. Working for UPS is all about not seeing your family and damaging your overall health. Its a trade off and most UPSERS get it. You will never convince the package car drivers its not about the money. It sure aint the cool uniform. Its not the thanks from UPS management for working your ass off everyday and helping UPS make huge profits. No its the MONEY!!!!!:wink2:
You forgot to add that we get to enjoy the outdoors. No need to attend the gym because of the physical workout. We meet interesting and wonderful people.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The pay is the only thing holding UPS all together.
i feel sorry for you. but unfortunately, that is the way ups sees things, and the new me generation.

too soon you will get an education that will restructure your value system.

You will never convince the package car drivers its not about the money
i dont have to convince all the ups drivers, only a few. the rest, as you said, already get it.

let me ask you a question.

if tomorrow, ups announced that beginning feb 1, an across the board cut in wages was needed, and had the forced blessings of the teamsters, say at 25 bucks an hour, how many drivers do you think would show up?

your tone says none. i would suspect at least 90% would show up for work as usual. grumbling, but they would be there.

d