UPS not on top companies to work for list.

randomUPSISer

if tomorrow, ups announced that beginning feb 1, an across the board cut in wages was needed, and had the forced blessings of the teamsters, say at 25 bucks an hour, how many drivers do you think would show up?

your tone says none. i would suspect at least 90% would show up for work as usual. grumbling, but they would be there.

d

Change it to $12/hour since $25 is still higher than most of them would get elsewhere. I'm sure 90% would still show up the next day, but I also bet most of them would start perusing the want ad's to find better paying (or at least easier) work.

I dont think many drivers (or anyone within the company for that matter) went to sleep as children wishing they could work for UPS one day as many did for being doctors, astronauts, firefighters, etc etc. I know I "enjoy" what I do at UPS, but if the money werent there I'd "enjoy" it at another company, or find work where there was money.

CRASH501

What? UPS didn't make the top companies list? That's 107 years in a row-and they always treat employees so well. Where did it place on the "Best company to work for because of pay, benefits and pension while eating a lot of crap" list? What about the "management most like Gestapo" list?
.ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ....ups management is like the brown mafia.......I coulnt agree more

CRASH501

you are so wrong! The pay is the only thing holding ups all together. Working for ups is all about not seeing your family and damaging your overall health. Its a trade off and most upsers get it. You will never convince the package car drivers its not about the money. It sure aint the cool uniform. Its not the thanks from ups management for working your ass off everyday and helping ups make huge profits. No its the money!!!!!:wink2:
Amen well said !!!

outamyway

Says a lot when a company compensates its employees very well, better than Fed Ex and you are not as desirable a place to work as the lower paid company. Something is wrong with the culture at UPS.

Anyone laid off and working preload nowadays can attest to that.

randomUPSISer

Wonder how many companies in the top 100 monitor their employees every second?

I wonder how many of those top 100 companies view their employees as assets vs liabilities?

UPS treats every single employee below grade 20 as a LIABILITY. I cant stand getting those print outs from corporate about "how much UPS spends on salary" and "how much UPS spends on benefits" vs fuel, or advertising. They always imply that its a "liability" cost that needs to be brought down. I guess they are too stupid to realize that EVERY company has a large proportion of its income spent on wages and benefits.

The "good" companies view their employees as assets to the company. That alone will forever ensure UPS doesnt make it to the top 100 list.

tourists24

if tomorrow, ups announced that beginning feb 1, an across the board cut in wages was needed, and had the forced blessings of the teamsters, say at 25 bucks an hour, how many drivers do you think would show up?

your tone says none. i would suspect at least 90% would show up for work as usual. grumbling, but they would be there.

d
Back that down to $15/hr..... how many show up then?

purplesky

i feel sorry for you. but unfortunately, that is the way ups sees things, and the new me generation.

too soon you will get an education that will restructure your value system.

i dont have to convince all the ups drivers, only a few. the rest, as you said, already get it.

let me ask you a question.

d

You are wrong once again,
My friend $25.00 an hour would not be a bad wage in this economy. Most Teamsters myself included WOULD EASILY TAKE A CUT IN PAY IF THAT SAVINGS WERE PASSED ON TO THE CUSTOMER TO REDUCE SHIPPING RATES. WE WOULD THEN SEE A BIG INCREASE IN VOLUME AND THAT WOULD BOOST UPS PROFITS AND MAKE ATLANTA HAPPY. I AM NOT THE NEW ME GENERATION. I AM OLD SCHOOL AND I CAN SEE THROUGH YOUR CRAP. Understand that yes the MONEY is the number one reason we all work for UPS. THE STOCK IS WHY YOU DO IT! MORE POWER TO YOU!! THE DRIVERS HAVE A GREAT WORK ETHIC AS DO MOST UPSERS. I WOULD STILL WORK JUST AS HARD AT 25.00 An hour. GOT IT!!!!:wink2: REMEMBER THE DRIVERS SEE FIRST HAND EVERYDAY HOW ROUGH THINGS ARE IN THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY. I HAVE MANY CUSTOMERS HANGING BY A THREAD THAT CAN BARELY MAKE PAYROLL. ITS HARD TO WATCH BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE ARE MY FRIENDS ALSO.

22.34life

I have mixed feelings about this,true ups pays well if your lucky enough to have a full time job here,has great benefits and pension but there are downsides.To me a company you would want to work for is company that listens to your concerns and tries to fix problems instead of working around them.There is not alot of flex at ups either its either this way or no way,most of the time.I have had 2nd jobs while at ups when i was part time and i can tell you this i worked harder than all the people there put together,ups does something to you, i guess its all the constant work ,you know the pace of it,you just work circles around people at other jobs.