Ups pcs in the snow?

iamupser

Grease Monkey
No sir. It's not.
We are not required to put them on.

You are required to do one thing per FMCSA law after being stuck along side of or in the right of way (out of the corp limits or after dark in a resi or business in corp limits) but I've never heard that brought up in a pcm.

Do you know what that one thing is and how to implement it?

Call the shop and have them order the new transmission?

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
giphy.gif

10 point

Call the shop and have them order the new transmission?

Put the triangles out at the federally specified distances.

Ever get training on that? We haven't.
But we're liable if someone smashes into our vehicle and we haven't placed them after being stuck or disabled after ten minutes.

Some state patrols and the DOT will measure the distance you've got them placed if someone strikes your vehicle (OR YOU while you're putting on chains that we're not required to install) and the driver can be sued. If he's still alive.

If I get sent out in inclement weather I walk off the stops but if I get stuck they can send a tow truck because they put me out in the hazardous situation and they can get me back too.

Our mechanic's boss said drivers are not required to use the chains.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
this lady seems like one of the answers for the thread of customers you wanna stangle. what kind of a bicth wants you to hit her vehicle?
I've had it happen before.

I've had people go as far as to say what if I hit your truck and tell ups you hit mine. They will pay for the damage right?

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Put the triangles out at the federally specified distances.

Ever get training on that? We haven't.
But we're liable if someone smashes into our vehicle and we haven't placed them after being stuck or disabled after ten minutes.

Some state patrols and the DOT will measure the distance you've got them placed if someone strikes your vehicle (OR YOU while you're putting on chains that we're not required to install) and the driver can be sued. If he's still alive.

If I get sent out in inclement weather I walk off the stops but if I get stuck they can send a tow truck because they put me out in the hazardous situation and they can get me back too.

Our mechanic's boss said drivers are not required to use the chains.

I knew it was triangles, I was just trying to have some fun!

The chains fly off when trying to peel out of a snow bank in my experience!

Gear

Parts on Order
i think you missed the part about her "wanting me to hit it"

Of course she did, its easy money for her. She'd probably would just cash the insurance check and never repair the car. People look for those situations. Most people would just see dollars signs, no one expects the driver to lose their job. Accidents happen.

Holydriver

Of course she did, its easy money for her. She'd probably would just cash the insurance check and never repair the car. People look for those situations. Most people would just see dollars signs, no one expects the driver to lose their job. Accidents happen.
I got an accident once, property damage. I got stuck and dug up all sorts of grass on the border of someones property and a gravel road (It probably wasnt even his property given the closeness to the road). Im thinking no big deal. Its an accident, they happen, and the guy claims he is selling his property soon so he needs to get the money to have it fixed. Well, I cover that route about a month later and notice that the ground is still all chewed up. Im thinking maybe UPS is taking a while to fix the issue, no big deal. Fast forward to today, 5 years later, and that property has the same old tire tracks in the grass that have never been repaired. The a-hole just wanted the money. His neighbor even warned me when the accident happened that the guy was the sort of person that would cheat anyone he could for money. Turns out he got me and UPS that day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I got an accident once, property damage. I got stuck and dug up all sorts of grass on the border of someones property and a gravel road (It probably wasnt even his property given the closeness to the road). Im thinking no big deal. Its an accident, they happen, and the guy claims he is selling his property soon so he needs to get the money to have it fixed. Well, I cover that route about a month later and notice that the ground is still all chewed up. Im thinking maybe UPS is taking a while to fix the issue, no big deal. Fast forward to today, 5 years later, and that property has the same old tire tracks in the grass that have never been repaired. The a-hole just wanted the money. His neighbor even warned me when the accident happened that the guy was the sort of person that would cheat anyone he could for money. Turns out he got me and UPS that day.

You tore up his grass----UPS paid him-----he is under no obligation to repair the grass.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Similar thing happened to me but it was a new construction. No grass even growing. Left maybe a 7-8 ft rut on the edge of the drive. Would of taken me maybe 10 minutes to rake it all level.

Ups paid them $250. Ten year later still looks the same.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
In our area we get a single chain to hook up to get out of a stuck situation. Most times we have to add more than one chain to get out and a few times( not me mind you) had someone take out a house window and car window with the chain flying off the wheel

A lot of the times. The driver needs to recognize his surroundings. Heaven forbid someone was at the window watching you spin away.

3 done 3 to go

Similar thing happened to me but it was a new construction. No grass even growing. Left maybe a 7-8 ft rut on the edge of the drive. Would of taken me maybe 10 minutes to rake it all level.

Ups paid them $250. Ten year later still looks the same.

We have to be perfect. In a job where it's impossible. But, I'm really close.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I got stuck in someones muddy driveway once BAD. Like a rookie I tried to get out by rocking the car, but I just got the tires digging deeper into the muck. When I got out and saw that I was up to the bumper in mud I decided to give up. Luckily not only did the owner pull me out but he didnt even care I fudged up his driveway. He said he planned on laying gravel in some spots anyway and I showed him where to put some lol. And this happened about 2 months before I started qualifying so if I would have gotten charged with an accident I would have got skipped!

3 done 3 to go

I got stuck in someones muddy driveway once BAD. Like a rookie I tried to get out by rocking the car, but I just got the tires digging deeper into the muck. When I got out and saw that I was up to the bumper in mud I decided to give up. Luckily not only did the owner pull me out but he didnt even care I fudged up his driveway. He said he planned on laying gravel in some spots anyway and I showed him where to put some lol. And this happened about 2 months before I started qualifying so if I would have gotten charged with an accident I would have got skipped!

This is how I get out if I get stuck. Haven't in about 10 yrs. Even when we had a 2 day storm which left 7'. I walk or tie to branches in their driveway. Got a couple numbers of guys with either tractors or big 4 wheel gear heads. In my years Fords and the old dodge power wagons are the most powerful .

oldupsman

From what I read on here oldupsman the drivers today don't have to deliver if there is a couple of snowflakes on the ground. All they do is enter the package as EC and go on FMLA leave for six months.

Honestly I remember once having them on for a 3 day stretch. But like I said, with a full set of chains
I never had a big problem. Especially with the old 400's. You could take those things anywhere in the snow
with a full set of chains. They were like Jeeps.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Best part about delivering out in the country. Most folks are pretty carefree for that kind of stuff and will pull you out. We had 4 or 5 guys get stuck this peak. All got pulled out by a farmer. Been a while since we've had to call for a tow truck.