UPS pilots finally get a new contract.

dudebro

I wonder if that means that planes will arrive on time again. We do not start until 8:50 now, regularly late planes was the reason given. Should would like to get back to an 8:30 start.
A lot more than pilots goes into that. I don't think the network will change much.

dudebro

You saying pilots are smart asses or something?
Because you're right

They can be primadonnas, or taxi slow, but we have management pilots fully checked out on our aircraft that can ride along with them in the jumpseats too. It's the same routine as the on car sup with a different clipboard. Nothing new under the sun.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
They can be primadonnas, or taxi slow, but we have management pilots fully checked out on our aircraft that can ride along with them in the jumpseats too. It's the same routine as the on car sup with a different clipboard. Nothing new under the sun.
Nope, but just like when a driver has an annual ride they follow the book to a T. Oh something is borderline MELable? Should do it just in case.

You're also forgetting pilots have a lot more authority over their aircraft than a driver does over his package car. FAR 91.3. The pilot in command is directly responsible for, and is the final authority, as to the safe operation of flight.

A lot easier to play games with that kind of thing.

Faceplanted

If the express driver is topped out, he is likely to have 20+ years. No one under 15 is topped out. You also have a good pension and free health insurance. Anyone hired in the last 13 years has no pension, just a 401k and a portable pension account that doesn't amount to much. I would take your pay and benefits in a heartbeat, even if it meant longer hours. A lot of you guys truly don't know how good you have it or what it's like to work with no union representation.
I agree for the most part. Like I said, the gap which was huge a few contracts ago is getting smaller and smaller. FedEx is not as far behind as they were. I heard 4% raises at FedEx, I can only take it for what I was told but I believe the few express guys I talk to. on is current path FedEx will be paying what we pay within 10 years concerning top rate.

I would give up my pension in a sec for a simple 5% match 401k match, even 3% at our pay rate. My retirement plan has me long gone before I get any real pension money

The FedEx express guy on my route is amazed at some of the harassment stories I tell him. You truly have to be a ups driver to understand. If you are a FedEx driver idk if you know what it's like to have multiple suspension and intent to discharge situations. I'm not a slacker but I get harassed for following our contract

I have had brothers fired for a few weeks to months who ran out of savings and had to take a deal to avoid a perminat discharge, or waiting our th 2 years ups can hold up your case legally. Imagine $1300 take home weekly for years, and a few month discharge earting up your family's savings all for holding management accountable to our contract. 10-20k savings will be gone fast

I want us (ups drivers) to get big raises so most delivery companies increase their pay too. The bigger picture is important to me.

I would kill to make high 20s an hour, work 8 and skate and deliver small packages with a lot less harassment in an air conditioned vehicle. It took me 13 total years to reach top rate. Mo money mo problems

Pros and cons to everything in life my friend. Thanks for the input though

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I agree for the most part. Like I said, the gap which was huge a few contracts ago is getting smaller and smaller. FedEx is not as far behind as they were. I heard 4% raises at FedEx, I can only take it for what I was told but I believe the few express guys I talk to. on is current path FedEx will be paying what we pay within 10 years concerning top rate.

I would give up my pension in a sec for a simple 5% match 401k match, even 3% at our pay rate. My retirement plan has me long gone before I get any real pension money

The FedEx express guy on my route is amazed at some of the harassment stories I tell him. You truly have to be a ups driver to understand. If you are a FedEx driver idk if you know what it's like to have multiple suspension and intent to discharge situations. I'm not a slacker but I get harassed for following our contract

I have had brothers fired for a few weeks to months who ran out of savings and had to take a deal to avoid a perminat discharge, or waiting our th 2 years ups can hold up your case legally. Imagine $1300 take home weekly for years, and a few month discharge earting up your family's savings all for holding management accountable to our contract. 10-20k savings will be gone fast

I want us (ups drivers) to get big raises so most delivery companies increase their pay too. The bigger picture is important to me.

I would kill to make high 20s an hour, work 8 and skate and deliver small packages with a lot less harassment in an air conditioned vehicle. It took me 13 total years to reach top rate. Mo money mo problems

Pros and cons to everything in life my friend. Thanks for the input though
Like I said high 20s is for senior couriers with 20+ years. No contract= no guarantees you'll even see high 20s. The majority make less than 20 and that's even with 10 years in. They are only giving higher % these past few years because turnover is so high and more and more experienced employees are leaving the company. No grievance procedure here either bro. So if you get fired, you're assed out. The grass isn't greener over here bro, it's AstroTurf.;)

rod

Retired 22 years
3 percent yearly pay raise.

We need to demand the same. That what IMHO is a fair raise that barely covers inflation

Your friendly government says there was no inflation last year. Those of us on SS never got a cost of living increase.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Percentage wise we've taken a huge hit.

That 4 over 4 years was when we were makin in the mid 20s an hour range.

Literally we have slowly given ups about 2% over the past few contracts. Absolute joke considering record profits. Nobody cars either is the sad part

What do we have to show for these raise give backs? A troubled pension and worse benefits. It discusts me.
I can show $37 an hour after this contract. I can show $22 an hour for H&W and pension.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Nope, but just like when a driver has an annual ride they follow the book to a T. Oh something is borderline MELable? Should do it just in case.

You're also forgetting pilots have a lot more authority over their aircraft than a driver does over his package car. FAR 91.3. The pilot in command is directly responsible for, and is the final authority, as to the safe operation of flight.

A lot easier to play games with that kind of thing.

Interesting...you know what the MEL is, but don't know that a "busted" light is deferrable.
2DA... it's sunny then.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Interesting...you know what the MEL is, but don't know that a "busted" light is deferrable.
2DA... it's sunny then.
Not quite since they are operating under IFR. It isn't always easy to defer things like lights. I know on the CRJ we had to have at least 1 landing light available, 2 anti collisions, and I can't remember the beacon. Things like taxi lights could be deferred.