UPS PSYOPs

E

ezralive

AS A FORMER UPS SUPERVISOR, I WISH TO EDUCATE CURRENT UNION WORKERS AT UPS THAT PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE TACTICS ARE PART OF THE COMPANY'S OFFICIAL AND "UNOFFICIAL" MANAGEMENT TRAINING PROGRAM. UPS NEEDS GOOD UNION WORKERS AND MANAGEMENT'S PSYOPs TACTICS ARE DESTROYING A ONCE GREAT WORK FORCE. UNION WOKRERS BEWARE - YOU ARE AT WAR AND THE MASTERS OF THE UPS PLANTATION KNOW HOW TO CONQUER YOU PSYCHOLOGICALLY.

PERSONALLY, I'VE WITNESSED EVERY FORM OF LYING, COERCION, HARRASSMENT, INTIMIDATION, AND PSYCHOLOGICAL GROUP WARFARE TECHNIQUE THAT WOULD MAKE U.S. ARMY PSYOPs OFFICERS GREEN WITH ENVY (OR BROWN WITH UPS BULLS***.)

DON'T LET THE MASTERS OF THE UPS PLANTATION BREAK YOU MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY, OR EMOTIONALLY. JUST DO YOUR JOB WELL, MAINTAIN A POSITIVE ATTITUDE, AND KNOW WHO YOUR REAL FRIENDS ARE - YOUR UNION BROTHERS AND SISTERS. LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER BECAUSE MANAGEMENT IS TRAINED TO PICK OUT THE STRAGGLERS......

M

my2cents

More of the same ol' tired and worn out class warfare crapola I'm so sick of reading about. ..... Yawn.

O

ok2bclever

Certainly over the top, but an entertaining break that kind of balances some of the brown nosing "be thankful you have this job and you should kiss their toes" pablum that you hear from certain others on this board.
biggrin.gif

P

plisken

THEY CAN'T BREAK ME!!!!! NEVER, EVER WILL I LET THEM BREAK ME!!!!!
ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

D

dannyboy

ezralive

Geez, I am so glad you posted this. And to think, I used to believe that those plaques certifying that each manager has completed "people school" meant that they now knew how to work with people and treat them like people.

Damn, And to think I believed that now for 32 years. Sheeesh.

Boy am I so glad you posted. You might have saved my life and career. How can I ever repay your kindness.

d

I

isdrone

Ezra,
Which center did you work in? The one next to the River Styx?
Don't get me wrong I have worked with some managers/supervisors that were way out there and tried to intimidate/harass people, but I was never taught by the company how to do it. I have watched the "dinosaurs" weed themselves out over the years. It's funny you can tell which ones will get the axe.
UPS 'gives' nothing to anyone - everyone earns it.

T

tieguy

My My psyops is it. I might have agreed with you twenty years ago. But todays workforce? The new folks we hire don't have the brain to be psychologically snake charmed. When I read posts like the one that started this thread I firmly believe the poster has a few screw loose. Yes we are a company that is fanatical about the job. As a result I think upsers as a whole work harder than any other company out there. To some we may work so hard we may appear to be package zombies. But there is no evil plot to control your mind. we have obssesive managers. We have some that go overboard. But we do not try to break people down and brainwash them. To put such a spin on what may be some over zealous management in your part of the world discredits your argument.

Your alternative is really simple. Find a company that is very laid back. That lets you do what you want when you want and how you want. Join them . Make your career committment with that company and let me know if they are around in 30 years when you're looking to retire.

T

tieguy

I do agree the post was a nice diversion. The psyops reference caught me reflecting back to simpler days trudging around the back hills of bragg roasting an occasional errant snake.

The military was so much simpler then. Somehow they found a way to motivate us to excel without physically or mentally breaking us down, berating us, Lord knows they never lied to us. Harrassment and coercion totally unheard of in the ranks. Yes sir perhaps we could adopt military style management techniques.

D

dannyboy

"But we do not try to break people down"

Tie

Then what would you call 10-12 hour days day in and out. IF the company were serious, they would cut some runs in, after all the volume is up at least 6%, so why are the routes cut back 12%?

d

T

tieguy

I call it sheltered idiot syndrome. Those who are so far removed from the battle lines they have lost touch with todays world; making policy. Its tough to convince those folks otherwise.

E

ezralive

Allow me to clarify my original post that started this discourse. Over the years, UPS management invested a signifcant amount of resources in develping a sophisticated personnnel management program. This program is part of the indoctrination process managers go thru in various phases of their carreers with UPS.

The truth is, psychological warfare tactics are employed and well documented in the various training manuals used in the training program. The more advanced techniques are taught by the senior managers to the junior supervisors on the job as they progress thru the system. Those who cannot employ these techniques are weeded out during the promoting process.

That said, the most effective tool of manipulation are the union workers themselves. One strategically placed union stooge can wreak havoc amongst his/her co-workers. This is a technique I personally used on many occassions and with devastating effect....

The most dangerous union worker is the "lone wolf" type who cannot be manipulated using the various psychological techniques employed individually or collectively. If the "lone wolf" knows how to be cool under pressure and operate by way of deception, then watch your back on and off the job. These types are very smart and can employ psychological warfare techniques of their own off the company property.

If they don't leave fingerprints or witnesses, then you've got a "lone wolf" prowling and growling amongst the sheep on the plantation. Managers who get stupid with these types are fools...........

T

tieguy

You folks who know me on this board know I speak honestly whether right or wrong. What this guy is speaking of is foriegn to anything I have ever seen or heard of at UPS. This guy has to be some kind of malcontent making this stuff up as he goes.

D

dannyboy

Tie

I have known some managers like the one this nut case is refering to. Problem with his story is that UPS itself got rid of them. Some had to be fired becuase they were given the option of walking away or being pushed out.

So while you and I have at times violently disagreed, we are 100% on the same page when it comes to this nutcase.

d}

A

air_upser

I second that. As a manager, I'm a bit embarassed by this guy. There are bad apples in both the union and management ranks but this is just looney. Let's get back to debating PAS and the Teamster Pension Plan!