Ups removed the quick link to “view my paycheck “

CoffeeStainedUniform

...I do have one question. What if you are overpaid and thrown into a new tax bracket? I remember last time we had huge Overpayments. I forget how these were handled tax wise
Thanks for the previous example. I wasn't sure, I was just going off of how I would do it were I them.

In answer to your question we have a graduated tax bracket. Lets say you make 100k per year. It could break down like this (though tax brackets and % are going to be made up for simplicity):

First 40k is taxed at 15% ($6,000)
Then you are in a "new tax bracket:
From 40k to 60k is at 20% ($4000)
And then 60k to 100k is taxed at 30% ($12,000)
Total tax = $22,000 (or 22%) even though you're in a '30% tax bracket'

Does that make sense?

CoffeeStainedUniform

This happened last time for me. My retro last time was ~$500. A $500 weekly paycheck should have had $48 withheld with zero allowances. They went in for $100-$105 with the last retro. I'm currently at 2 allowances...
In answer to your unasked question:

The reason the 25% bonus tax rate makes sense is to more accurately tax the money now. Another way to do it would be to take your retro and tax it with your current wage like normal.

Let's say your pay is $1100/week (your in progression in this example) and your retro is $6500. If they 'tax normally' they would add 6500 to 1100 to make your weekly pay($7600). Then they would multiply by the # of weeks in a year (52×7600=$395,200) then they would tax this at about 45% and cut you a check for $4180, weekly pay+retro...way too much.

Either way if you're being taxed too much/little you'll fix it when you do yoir taxes. Thats why you get a refund or owe money come april 15th.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
In answer to your unasked question:

The reason the 25% bonus tax rate makes sense is to more accurately tax the money now. Another way to do it would be to take your retro and tax it with your current wage like normal.

Let's say your pay is $1100/week (your in progression in this example) and your retro is $6500. If they 'tax normally' they would add 6500 to 1100 to make your weekly pay($7600). Then they would multiply by the # of weeks in a year (52×7600=$395,200) then they would tax this at about 45% and cut you a check for $4180, weekly pay+retro...way too much.

Either way if you're being taxed too much/little you'll fix it when you do yoir taxes. Thats why you get a refund or owe money come april 15th.
Off topic, but never understood why anyone would want a tax refund. I am not giving the government an interest free loan on my money. End of rant.

Johney

Off topic, but never understood why anyone would want a tax refund. I am not giving the government an interest free loan on my money. End of rant.
I always looked at a refund this way, a 2-3000 dollar check every year was nice as the little extra money made each week was unnoticeable.

derrick

so we are to believe that. JUST the VIEW YOUR PAYCHECK of UPSERS is messed up. so not anything else on the website but that hmmm. I think they trying to change paychecks and :censored2: to mess with the workers.

CoffeeStainedUniform

so we are to believe that. JUST the VIEW YOUR PAYCHECK of UPSERS is messed up. so not anything else on the website but that hmmm. I think they trying to change paychecks and :censored2: to mess with the workers.
They already paid you, they can't change your check or contributions. They're simply locking their ammo from their UPS children.

Johney

While it does seem to be bad timing I seriously doubt they would try and screw us on purpose. I mean could you imagine the bad image or lawsuit that would happen if they got caught intentionally ripping us off?

MattM

Thanks for the previous example. I wasn't sure, I was just going off of how I would do it were I them.

In answer to your question we have a graduated tax bracket. Lets say you make 100k per year. It could break down like this (though tax brackets and % are going to be made up for simplicity):

First 40k is taxed at 15% ($6,000)
Then you are in a "new tax bracket:
From 40k to 60k is at 20% ($4000)
And then 60k to 100k is taxed at 30% ($12,000)
Total tax = $22,000 (or 22%) even though you're in a '30% tax bracket'

Does that make sense?

Makes sense.

I guess I'm taking smaller chump change.

I know a fellow co-worker who was overpaid $700 the last time around. It threw him into a higher tax bracket. It may just be 5% and $500, but sadly, he didn't care. His taxes never showed the wage garnishment showing his true gross income. The government still thinks he made $700 more than he actually did. Someone made a couple bucks on the overpayment. Thinking UPS. And now with A maintenance session that is at its longest in years, It's easy to say something is up.

Basically he Paid back everything in full but still owed $100 more in taxes. These overpayments are tough to wrangle in a tax sense.

coolslice

I'm amazed that there are actually people on here that would mock people for thinking UPS would screw their employees to save or make a buck. How long have some of you worked here? UPS is as greedy and heartless as any company has ever been. My guess is that UPS will shave a few bucks from everyone's backpay, and save a few million bucks. If you don't think the sudden disappearance of the paycheck viewer doesn't coincide with the retro pay checks, then you certainly have too much faith in the ethics of this company. I'd be shocked if the paycheck viewer comes back before we get our checks, and I'll bet that when it does come back, it will be missing vital info for those looking to compare their checks to hours worked. I hope I'm wrong.

Overpaid Union Thug

I always looked at a refund this way, a 2-3000 dollar check every year was nice as the little extra money made each week was unnoticeable.

Combined with what you already have in your 401k, the compounding interest on that $3000 (about $57 per week) would serve you better than letting the government mismanage it interest free.