UPS Safety Czars being Shop Stewards. A Conflict of Interest?

Should Shop Stewards that are also Safety Chairs be forced to choose only one allegiance?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Comeand Takeit

smoking without tires at light speed
How many have taken a hard and serious look at the Serious Conflict of Interest the Safety Chairs that are also Shop Stewards pose to the Rank and File?

10 point

How many have taken a hard and serious look at the Serious Conflict of Interest the Safety Chairs that are also Shop Stewards pose to the Rank and File?
A steward that sucks will suck in any position.

A good steward knows how to get results while being a co-chair and will not compromise on any issue.

The new CBA addresses the safety committee members involvement, who they are, and the steward can make sure no garbage gets approved that's contrary to bargaining unit members rights.

Art 18 and 37 grievances normally gets things moving the right direction if all else stalls out.

BrownBrokeDown

Think of it this way. When management tries to pull BS or shoot down legitimate issues, he will know how to fight it. If he doesn't fight it, maybe he shouldn't be in either position.

I really don't see the conflict here. Safety is in the contract after all, and he can enforce managements compliance from both sides.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Every steward should be policing the safety committees. End of story. It's our committee. Not theirs. It's in our collective bargaining agreement.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Totally agree with a steward being on the safety committee. It is in the best interest of all the drivers and inside members. We also have 5 guys on a union committee along w the steward and asst. steward. If a situation arises with management with a member.

Totally agree with a steward being on the safety committee. It is in the best interest of all the drivers and inside members. We also have 5 guys on a union committee along w the steward and asst. steward. If a situation arises with management with a member.
You need a steward or a committee man on the safety committee. Just to make sure they are not turning your union brothers into company spies.

oldngray

nowhere special
You need a steward or a committee man on the safety committee. Just to make sure they are not turning your union brothers into company spies.

Too often the safety committee is stacked with company yes men. A good steward watching would be good but very possible a steward in that position would be a suck up.

T

Turdferguson

What exactly is the duty of the czar? Does he get to issue edict's? As Czar does he have powers to imprison and execute safty dissenters?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Safety Committee around here is a joke. All it is used for is wasting safety hours corporate must spend to show they are "actively encouraging a culture of safety". It's nothing more than a stepping stone for wanna be managers or habitual go homers to use. Any driver with half a brain can see they are a different breed, anyone seen associating with them is also seen as one of "them". I couldn't care less either way as I don't associate with those types, their stripes show even without a meaningless hall monitor sash on.

Ron Carey lives on

The safety committees needs to be careful not to fall for the old " team concept" trick. Safety committee doing observations, and things of this nature. See IBT VS UPS 1998 NLRB " TEAM CONCEPT"

Sent using BrownCafe App

jaker

trolling
Our head safety might as well be management , it never drives anymore and stays in the hub all day doing safety stuff

I think it only puts browns on just for show or to save from picking out street clothes everyday

10 point

The safety committees needs to be careful not to fall for the old " team concept" trick. Safety committee doing observations, and things of this nature. See IBT VS UPS 1998 NLRB " TEAM CONCEPT"

Sent using BrownCafe App
If that happens file on it and take the members involved off the committee.

We caught management using two drivers to document other hourlies and one was using his cell phone.

Both went into management when we deleted every member off the committee and started over. One of these two individuals was fired three times for not wearing a seat belt and after he got his job back the second time was picked up by the sheriff for driving 75 in a 55 mph zone.

The management retained his employment.
Could it be because he ran at least an hour under every day?
If he'd run an hour over he most definitely would have been history on the second seatbelt violation.

Who is it that promotes this diluted safety environment?
Hourly? No. Two faced management employees do and we finally have a way to clean house on hourly to hourly harassment.
Use it and keep using it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If that happens file on it and take the members involved off the committee.

That's the easiest thing to do.

ARTICLE 18

Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

"The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees."

Or, request the safety committee be disbanded.... all together.

"In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request."

The contract language is there....

And, enforceable.

Use it.

-Bug-

10 point

That's the easiest thing to do.

ARTICLE 18

Section 20.4 Safety and Health Committees

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster.org/files/6161478090_master_final.pdf

"The Local Union shall approve the bargaining unit members who serve on these Committees."

Or, request the safety committee be disbanded.... all together.

"In the event that a Local Union desires to cease participation in the safety committees, prior approval must be authorized by the Union Co-Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service National Negotiating Committee who shall also inform the Employer’s President of Labor Relations of the request."

The contract language is there....

And, enforceable.

Use it.

-Bug-
Thanks BUG.

It truly creates a hostile work environment when management pits hourly against hourly. The part of the situation that is the most discouraging is that so many locations don't use the new language to put a stop to the longtime ongoing harassment of hourly spying and reporting on their coworkers.

They complain but do nothing about it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
We have two hubs in my area. One huge, one normal size. As a cover driver, I work out of both buildings. The smaller building has an excellent safety committee. All drivers in the start time window, are invited to the bi-weekly meeting. I've found it very informative and all concerns are taken seriously. None of the drivers do spying on other drivers. I've learned a lot of good info attending these meetings. mainly because the older, more experienced drivers head the committee and are there to help.

The safety committee at the huge hub is larger, and has a few stewards on it. But they don't hold meetings. What usually happens is the safety members get their job covered for the week, and then they give quizzes, give demonstrations and give out information. As a driver, you are under no obligation to participate, and many don't. But it is a good way to get extra OT. I'm pretty safety oriented anyway, so the stuff they deal with, I already know because most of the time, it is pretty basic stuff. Three points of contact. following distance, lots of yards rules...stuff of that kind. The smaller hub's committee is a much better, more informative place to learn. And to give proper credit, the feeder manager down there does well addressing complaints and issues...and letting non-members attend.

But back to the original point: definitely, I would have a problem if my steward was doing management's observations for them. If a steward or a senior safety committee sees me doing something wrong, or unsafe, I welcome their feedback, as long as it's between us, and not management. If that weren't the case, I'd file a grievance, for sure.