UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

35years

Gravy route
Won't need many drivers. 2 or 3 per center. Rookies looking for stable work, or perhaps a driver wanting mornings off to help get kids off to school is all that would be needed.

Since these would be new routes created, doubt the contract provision has affect here.
Contract provisions still apply to new routes, including the 8 hour guarantee. And if you try to move the pickups to a part timer on Mondays you are taking work away from full time drivers...These are not special operation days like the day after a holiday where we only deliver air, and special rules apply.

opey

Would suck if they had some of us work Tuesday-Saturday in order to have coverage on Saturday without paying OT.
already have a couple of Tu-Sat guys in my center, since last year at least. they do need people to do pickups on Sat which is what those guys do after running the air till noon, while the sat volunteers just do air until 12

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
FedEx Home WAS a subsidiary of FedEx Ground. It has since been absorbed and integrated into FedEx Ground.

Since FedEx Ground focuses on commercial addresses, that is why they were off Saturdays. It made sense to just combine Home with Ground, and basically do what the post office has a doing for years.

Umm, we're still operate as separate opcos, just the newer trucks that the subcontractor buys will just have ground on it... no more Homedelivery logo of that dog.

I had known businesses closed on Saturday. I told one of the management if they can divert this to ground so it can be out for delivery on a Monday... since we're not a co location, he said nope. I coded them as closed and left them on the pallet for Tuesday. Maybe those locations that have both opcos operating in the same building can do it. That should be the next shift. Heck, they're getting rid of the green Ex and all going orange.

Now, they have to wait until i load them up in my truck in Tuesday. The good thing is now that i know my area, i can skip the orion trace to service them first by closing time, since i don't like send agains

The only pluses that i've experienced is traffic is lighter in terms of rush hour traffic with those that have "bankers hours " and no school to worry about on a Saturday.

The minus is Mall or other shopping traffic is higher, but in my rural areas, i have to watch out for bikers, joggers in yoga pants, kids, pets. It's still less stressful than a weekday.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Contract provisions still apply to new routes, including the 8 hour guarantee. And if you try to move the pickups to a part timer on Mondays you are taking work away from full time drivers...These are not special operation days like the day after a holiday where we only deliver air, and special rules apply.
Have no doubt the 8hr guarantee will be in effect. There won't be anything special, except the drivers will be focused on pickups. And why the mention of PTmers? Rookies and guys who maybe don't know too many routes are often made extra. If running at later start times gives them steady work, they'll take it.

I don't know how the contract would affect the start time. In my Center our start time is 8:40, and yet we have drivers who also start at 10:00 AM. That's more than an hour difference.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Let's say the center has 50 drivers. How many Saturday routes will go out? Do they cut routes if not needed? Do these drivers now bump others because they have to work a Monday- Friday? How about the extra drivers for those four other days? Do they cut routes?

I see it as a big mess. My answer would be: overtime for Monday-Friday drivers, supplemented by part time as needed. The only problem would be December as drivers run out of hours. Peak casuals could solve this problem being used late October thru December.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Let's say the center has 50 drivers. How many Saturday routes will go out? Do they cut routes if not needed? Do these drivers now bump others because they have to work a Monday- Friday? How about the extra drivers for those four other days? Do they cut routes?

I see it as a big mess. My answer would be: overtime for Monday-Friday drivers, supplemented by part time as needed. The only problem would be December as drivers run out of hours. Peak casuals could solve this problem being used late October thru December.
Yesterday was a dumpster fire. Pick ups were a major issue, as expected, not enough routes to cover them all by commit times. Another thing that really screwed people was major cutting that went on vs previous Monday's while in testing phase. Yesterday routes were cut, areas expanded, and businesses that don't go out on Saturday sprinkled all through Monday's overextended routes.

Commercial stops got missed, drivers came in late, and those senior drivers that volunteered last Saturday are giving them the finger going forward. This only complicates the problem as the new hires aren't as good as the regular guys in their respective areas. Tuesday-Saturday is also an issue as now drivers are feeling the pinch, as predicted, those that would go home now have bills to pay so the new hires get laid off. Already have two new hires quitting as they aren't getting the hours they were promised. Another thing is they are only being paid off the street pay and were "promised" $29/hr according to them.

A lot of the service/hours issues will be smoothed over as peak starts, but god help low seniority drivers Jan-Feb next year, half our FT drivers won't be working.

PT Car Washer

Yesterday was a dumpster fire. Pick ups were a major issue, as expected, not enough routes to cover them all by commit times. Another thing that really screwed people was major cutting that went on vs previous Monday's while in testing phase. Yesterday routes were cut, areas expanded, and businesses that don't go out on Saturday sprinkled all through Monday's overextended routes.

Commercial stops got missed, drivers came in late, and those senior drivers that volunteered last Saturday are giving them the finger going forward. This only complicates the problem as the new hires aren't as good as the regular guys in their respective areas. Tuesday-Saturday is also an issue as now drivers are feeling the pinch, as predicted, those that would go home now have bills to pay so the new hires get laid off. Already have two new hires quitting as they aren't getting the hours they were promised. Another thing is they are only being paid off the street pay and were "promised" $29/hr according to them.

A lot of the service/hours issues will be smoothed over as peak starts, but god help low seniority drivers Jan-Feb next year, half our FT drivers won't be working.
Question about the Saturday Ground preload. Are they M-friend preloaders or is the work being offered to all PTers as extra work?

jbg77

Both. AFAIK all preloaders being used are on a volunteer basis. I don't think there are any designated Saturday preloaders.

You may have already answered this but did it add any new ft routes? I'm north of you same state and I've heard that we a starting this shift either at peak or just after.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You may have already answered this but did it add any new ft routes? I'm north of you same state and I've heard that we a starting this shift either at peak or just after.
No, if anything lower seniority guys and new hires for the new shift will be prone to layoffs during the week.

ManInBrown

Anyone know the language in the 177 regarding forced Saturdays, for a situation like this? Was talking to a fellow driver and mentioned Saturday ground was coming down the pipe. I didn't say I read it on brown Cafe. This driver said we can't be forced in the 177 to work Saturdays. Volunteer only. Anyone familiar with the language??

Obviously even if there is language for this. It would probably go out the window in the next contract. Just wondering anyway

opie

Anyone know the language in the 177 regarding forced Saturdays, for a situation like this? Was talking to a fellow driver and mentioned Saturday ground was coming down the pipe. I didn't say I read it on brown Cafe. This driver said we can't be forced in the 177 to work Saturdays. Volunteer only. Anyone familiar with the language??

Obviously even if there is language for this. It would probably go out the window in the next contract. Just wondering anyway
In the supplement it says the Company will maintain a Monday to Friday workweek. Except as required by the operating needs of the Company. So that means pretty much the company can do what it wants.