UPS says Yes to Saturday Ground.

DOK

Can someone who actually has this in their center shed some light on the Saturday operation?

Do you run a preload and unload all the loads that are bound for Monday, thus making Monday extremely light volume? Or are you just processing special "Saturday ground" trailers, which also would make Monday's volume light but not as bad as the prior scenario ?

Can someone who actually has this in their center shed some light on the Saturday operation?

Do you run a preload and unload all the loads that are bound for Monday, thus making Monday extremely light volume? Or are you just processing special "Saturday ground" trailers, which also would make Monday's volume light but not as bad as the prior scenario ?
Read post 93. Answers all your questions.

You know, I'd be all for this Saturday ground if it was because we were guaranteed more volume and extra routes were gonna be created. But no, it just a way to ultimately cut more routes, lay off more drivers, and have less 8 hour days per center. The number of 8 hour days we are allowed is based on how many routes they run on Monday. So we would go from 3 to 1 eight hour day in our small center. Well played UPS

Fullhouse

Sounds like the company may start using "sets" like they do in feeders! A set is a group of 4 day 10 hour runs with a swing man covering the days off by the other 4 drivers. UPS could easily make a set of 5 day runs with 6 drivers that run from Monday - Saturday on each set. The drivers would pick their day off M-Sat in seniority order. It won't be pretty but I would work!

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Sounds like the company may start using "sets" like they do in feeders! A set is a group of 4 day 10 hour runs with a swing man covering the days off by the other 4 drivers. UPS could easily make a set of 5 day runs with 6 drivers that run from Monday - Saturday on each set. The drivers would pick their day off M-Sat in seniority order. It won't be pretty but I would work!

That will bring more complaining than working Saturdays. Screwing with the weekend is one thing, taking away OT will send some over the edge.

I don't follow the 5 day run with six drivers. We have 5 guys run a 5 day 4x10 with the top 4 each choosing a different weekday off and the 5th guy covering the days they choose to be off.

They could probably bid a run that is T-W-T-S 4x10 schedule and get a few to take it. That would take care of the heavy days and the one day most don't want to work. Doesn't seem bad to me but I'm used to feeder coverage.

Last edited:

Fullhouse

The 5 drivers will choose which day they prefer off. Since you are familiar with feeders, you know what a 4 day 10 hour set is. It will not be much different. The company will place 6 runs in one set. 5 runs if the set will be regular runs and the 6th will be a swing run.
The top 5 drivers of each set will choose which day of the week they want off. M-Sat then the swing driver will have to choose what ever is left.
I'm not saying this scenario would happen it is just a possibility.
What is so sad about this is.. only two drivers in a set will have a two day week end. The two drivers that choose Monday and Saturday! Everyone one else will have their two days off of split! That would definitely suck! But this is only scenario and our Union needs to be on top of this one!

Dr.Brownz

r
I'm thinking that if a supervisor has 60 hours in M-friend, even if its sitting at a desk, they can't legally drive a commercial vehicle on Saturday.
Managers have no time cards, thus no records, thus the DOT can't "see" the violation. Report them everytime they do this, they will abuse this to no end if it is allowed to happen.

Limper

Out For Delivery
They will (probably) ask for volunteers who want to switch over to a T-S schedule. Then force from the bottom up from there?

That's exactly what happens. But none of our bid drivers volunteered. Would you? The Saturday drivers got back at 7:30. A few hundred pieces undelivered. Not much of a success.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's exactly what happens. But none of our bid drivers volunteered. Would you? The Saturday drivers got back at 7:30. A few hundred pieces undelivered. Not much of a success.

Saturday ground is new for all of us and it will take some time to work the bugs out. Businesses that are either not open or do not want to receive on Saturdays need to be added to the known closure list. On the flip side, it would be nice to have a sweep of the UPS Store done on Saturday.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Saturday ground is new for all of us and it will take some time to work the bugs out. Businesses that are either not open or do not want to receive on Saturdays need to be added to the known closure list. On the flip side, it would be nice to have a sweep of the UPS Store done on Saturday.
They swept the UPS store the first week, ever since they have stopped. Every Saturday seems to get worse as the weeks go by, same goes for Mondays as they are cutting routes and pick up volume is getting in at 8:30-900. Overall, it's becoming more of a problem as the company is cutting Monday's routes and it's creating major problems.

35years

Gravy route
They swept the UPS store the first week, ever since they have stopped. Every Saturday seems to get worse as the weeks go by, same goes for Mondays as they are cutting routes and pick up volume is getting in at 8:30-900. Overall, it's becoming more of a problem as the company is cutting Monday's routes and it's creating major problems.
Thanks for the info. Good to know what is actually happening!