UPS says you have to go on meal while you wait on meet man? Changes coming.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Everyone in the Central Plains feeder district knows all about the management in Earth City. This case is a perfect example why that is.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Not yet. The Central Plains District hasn't informed any of us of any changes.

The lesson for feeder drivers is to know your DOT regulations, and IF management instructs you to violate any part of those regulations, to grab a steward as a witness, and to inform them that they are aware they violating the law.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The big change associated with this, as I can interpret, is that drivers at t/a will no longer have to keep their vehicle in sight and they are not responsible for the security of the vehicle while on break.
If there is a driving range next door, they can go hit some golf balls.

​I would think most airport t/a would be secure but if not, UPS may have to eat the time if driver has to stay close to vehicle.

Looks like feeder schedulers have some investigative and creative thinking to do.
DOT laws also specify being within reasonable distance of facilities such as food and bathrooms. Not sure the availability late at night at the airport, but many air drivers tell me...nada.
If I'm wrong on the general laws, I stand corrected. Off topic tona degree, but the mindset definitely is not.

Occasionally a dispatcher will try and get drivers to take their lunch at the rail yards while they waited for trains to come in or be unloaded. Some of these rail yards are in areas about as hospitable as downtown Baghdad. Drivers refuse because it's unsafe. If dispatch insists then drivers will drive to the nearest UPS building ,usually Jeff st, and then drive back after lunch.

A

anonymous6

we have a ta point in the middle of nowhere and they want us to take a meal there during delays but there are no facilities except trees. if there is a delay due to weather and/or other driver breakdown I will take a meal if I can sleep. I do wanna be fair about it.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I wonder if UPS management expectation/policy/understanding has changed recently in regards to feeder drivers taking meal break at turnaround?

No, but it's obviously worse in some areas than others. The problem with this "mindset" is that if I show up at a meet point and my driver isn't there but his expected time is around that time I could just wait a bit for him/her to show up or go on meal. If I'm on meal, I'm not coming off until the entire time is used up even if these are 'hot' loads. That could be an hour to an hour and a half if I use both breaks and take a half our or hour meal. Easy to make those loads late if they want to push it.

If I wait and the driver doesn't show up for 2-3 hours, I can leave immediately and push it to get back on time & they can code the meal later during that TA time. It's just give and take.

It's not reasonable to expect me to take my meal in the middle of nowhere without a bathroom or restaurant where we usually have our TA's. It's also not reasonable for me to floor it with no stops til the TA just so I can sit for 2 hours. If it's not the Driver gaming the system it's usually poor planning on the part of Dispatch, especially with overflows, that creates gaps in TA points.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
The judgement was just released a couple days ago. It will take a little bit to trickle out nationwide. I just hope to educate some of my fellow drivers that there are laws out there that protect us from certain games management plays. It's not always about what's in the contract. Federal law trumps our contract.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Its an awesome decision. Almost 500K to the driver for UPS stupidity. This is the result of YES men at the helm of the operation.

Just another case where UPS corporate allows ignorant overzealous morons to make business decisions that cost this company thousands of dollars.

CONGRATS to Feeder driver T. Bishop in his long battle and ultimate victory against UPS!!

I hope this serves as a lesson learned for the company, but I doubt it will.

Do your center feeder drivers a favor, print all 24 pages of this decision and pass it out to the feeder department drivers! The drivers of other centers are going through this same thing currently.

Spread the word, "THE WICKED OLD WITCH IS DEAD".

TOS

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
Gotta love the fact that management lied and changed their stories from the time of the depositions to the actual hearing. I guess it's ok to perjure yourself in a labor court.

Johney

Its an awesome decision. Almost 500K to the driver for UPS stupidity. This is the result of YES men at the helm of the operation.

Just another case where UPS corporate allows ignorant overzealous morons to make business decisions that cost this company thousands of dollars.

CONGRATS to Feeder driver T. Bishop in his long battle and ultimate victory against UPS!!

I hope this serves as a lesson learned for the company, but I doubt it will.

Do your center feeder drivers a favor, print all 24 pages of this decision and pass it out to the feeder department drivers! The drivers of other centers are going through this same thing currently.

Spread the word, "THE WICKED OLD WITCH IS DEAD".

TOS
Step over a dollar to pick up a nickel, that's what I constantly see.

MaceFremonti

Here on the east coast we have been told that if we have to wait more than 20 minutes for our meet guy we have to use at least 30 minutes of meal....it took almost four months before I was told to start doing this. Previously I used other work/equipment delay for the down time then took my meal about 90 minutes down the road after we swapped...

I felt this was a fair compromise since some days I would be sleeping..errrrr....WAITING for almost two hours before my guy would show.

Here on the east coast we have been told that if we have to wait more than 20 minutes for our meet guy we have to use at least 30 minutes of meal....it took almost four months before I was told to start doing this. Previously I used other work/equipment delay for the down time then took my meal about 90 minutes down the road after we swapped...

I felt this was a fair compromise since some days I would be sleeping..errrrr....WAITING for almost two hours before my guy would show.

I agree with those posting previously. If i "had" to go on lunch waiting on another driver then I'm taking all of it.

over9five

Staff member
I agree with those posting previously. If i "had" to go on lunch waiting on another driver then I'm taking all of it.

I would stand firm with the "wholly released from duty" part. That management team was simply LYING when they said they didn't know that, it's pretty damn basic. You're either on YOUR lunch, or you're not.
They want me to go on lunch, no problem. BUT that means I drop the set (so the meet driver can take it), park my tractor somewhere else, and I'm not responsible for EITHER for my lunch hour.

P.S. HERE we can not take "part" of our lunch, we are guaranteed an uninterrupted hour.