UPS Scheduling Meeting Today

N728DA

Hello all, Today at 12:00 PM I have a scheduling meeting at the UPS Center in Lake Wales, Florida. 3 weeks ago I applied at UPS.COM for the position of Package Delivery Driver and Driver Helper. I got the call from HR in Orlando to come in today. Both positions I applied for are Seasonal/Temporary. My ultimate goal is to become a UPS Package Delivery Driver. I realize that most people have to wait several YEARS to become a Delivery Driver while working P/T Loading/Sorting. By the grace of rare luck, If I get hired as a seasonal Package Delivery Driver or a seasonal Driver Helper what are the odds I could move to friend/T Delivery Driver after the Holidays pending I do a great job and their is a need for Drivers at the Lake Wales Center?

I am 21 years old, not married/no kids, no criminal record, satisfactory driving record (1 ticket for speed in May) and have worked as a local Police Department as a Dispatcher for nearly 2 1/2 years. I have also completed the Basic Law Enforcement Program (Police Academy) at my local community college. I am very interested in working for UPS but I dont want to give up my Dispatching position for financial reasons unless I am friend/T for UPS.

I would like to Thank everyone for taking the time to read this and I will let everyone know how it goes today :)

Thanks again!

-N728DA

ok2bclever

I Re Member
Your chances are slim to none to move directly into driving anymore just because you drive seasonal.

More likely would be a chance to be hired permanently part-time a couple of months after the first of the year.

brett636

I beleive your chance of moving into fulltime driving is probably very low, but your chance of getting hired on at the hub doing other jobs till a driving position comes available all depends on the hub that you work at and their needs at the time.

F

FEGuy

Your chances aren't slim to none, as some might suggest. Your chances depend on a few things. First you must do a good job as a seasonal and impress UPS to want you back as a regular driver (permanent is an incorrect term. Nothing is permanent). Next, there must be an opening sometime next year for a regular driver. After that, your chances are 1 in 6 (I think, or whatever it is that our contract says that UPS can hire off the street is now) Truthfully, it's been a long time since I've had to worry about filling a full time job, and I came from the part time ranks, anyway. Back then I think it was still 1 for 3 or maybe 4.
So, no, you aren't first in line, necessarily. The main thing is to get in line.
Good luck

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
FE is in a dream world. The ratio is 1 to 6.

The rest of what he posted just plain usless or wrong.

One part time sup gets a promotion to full time driver for every 6 part time hourly. The average wait can be from 6-12 years in most places, maybe longer if you choose part time management. LAst time a driver was hired off the street we didnt have any part time management, and that was in the early 80's.

What you do out on road might sway them into hireing you in as part time, but then you start out at the bottom and seniority is everything when it comes to going full time.

Good luck.

d

upsdude

It also depends on the growth in the area. We've seen 5 PT folks move into full time driving positions in the last 2 months. The longest wait for any of them was 1 year. One of the guys had been PT for less than 6 months.

Age, driving record and area growth play a large roll in how long the wait will be.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
I don't think dude's experience is typical, but probably happens in a few areas.

In my area the average part-timer puts in at least five years or so before having any chance of going full-time and that improvement was caused by the 22/3 job creation issue two contracts ago and continued in this one rather than any company expansion or retirement turnover.

As mentioned by danny the street hire every seventh slot has been being taken up by part-time management for decades now.

We have had one off the street hire for a full-time driver position since the very early 1990's and the hiring ratio (inside to street) was lower then.

I would certainly classify that as slim to none.

When you start seasonally driving you can check the seniority lists which contractually have to be posted in an accessible viewing area somewhere in the hub or center and kept current quarterly.

It lists the full-time drivers by seniority and shows both their full-time seniority and part-time seniority.

Those with no part-time seniority will be the off the street hires.

Check to see how many of the more contemporary ones were actually straight off the street rather than former part-time supes and you can get an accurate idea of what your chance are of going straight into full-time driving off the street in your area.

wornoutupser

The Lake Wales building has had an extreme turnover in part time personnel. It has also experiened an explosive amount of growth in the delivery area.
The senior loader on the belt has less than 1 year experience and is also a cover driver already.
Show UPS that you are a gang buster employee that is not afraid of working hard and you could become a part timer quickly in this building. Driving could follow much faster than normal there.
Thee is one driver that is famous for having their helpers hired after peak.
Ask to be assigned to that driver- UPS knows who that is!

breadbooze

When I was in driver orientation there was only one true street hire out of the 18 there, and he was in his late 40's. Two p/t sups were present as well, the rest of us were p/t'ers. The center I work at has at least 10 bid routes being done by cover drivers. According to my center manager as long as I maintain my performance she'll keep me on after peak, otherwise I'll be going back to preload and bidding on friend/t regular driving positions as they become available. HTH

upsermom

wornoutupser is correct in southwest fl a bunch of 9-12 month part time employees recently started driving.

Last edited:

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
You got a speeding ticket this past May? I thought you had to be ticket-free for a year or more to drive for UPS.

trickpony1

Is it a good idea to publish your "N" number for all the world to see?
I think that is public information. I could run down to the FAA and find out who is registered to that number.