ups Seattle employees will be getting a nice bump in pay..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Looks like the 15 dollar minimum wage was passed by the city government and ups will have 3 years to comply. I wonder how many people this will affect at ups..and if this will catch on in other major cities across the United states

Z

ZQXC

Looks like the 15 dollar minimum wage was passed by the city government and ups will have 3 years to comply. I wonder how many people this will affect at ups..and if this will catch on in other major cities across the United states

In 3 years time, ups will move all of their operations outside the city limits.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Looks like that Big Mac, Whopper, and Starbucks grande espresso just doubled in price to me !!

1_gif.gif

brownrod

How many UPS facilities are within the city limits?

One or two?. Seattle Center isright next to the rail yard. The regional hub is in a different city near Seattle.

Not sure if Boeing field operations are inside seattle city limits.

the minimum wage goes to 15$ over a 3 year period.
Seattle is a very rich city. Not sure it will have the effect the poor people in the rest of the USA think it will. All my friends moved to seattle 15 years ago from the city I live in and grew up in because it was east to find jobs in the 15-20$ an hour wage bracket. If you have marketable skills you can make over 100k a year easy. My ex girlfriend makes over 120k at boeing and always wanted me to quit UPS and get a better job...

Last edited:

The news said that employers were going to be allowed to add benes into the $15 min wage. If that is the case, I doubt that anyone would be getting a raise.

Seattle is a very rich city.

Tell that to the homeless people shooting up in the allies in pioneer square or (piss alley) 4th and pike.

BigBeef42

Correct me if im wrong but boeing isn't in the city. it's farther south. I think the actual city of seattle has one hub.... maybe 2. And in the surrounding region they have a dozen hubs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

BigBeef42

So UPS won't allow WA state medical Marijuana users to maintain employment (state law)... yet UPS will abide by a state issued pay raise? Doubt it.

I don't smoke.... and don't care for it.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
So UPS won't allow WA state medical Marijuana users to maintain employment (state law)... yet UPS will abide by a state issued pay raise? Doubt it.

I don't smoke.... and don't care for it.
Marijuana use is restricted by DOT and federal law for drivers which trumps a state law. Min wage is a state issue with no over riding federal law so UPS would be requited to comply. States can have higher than the federal min wage, just can't be less.

Foamer Pyle

Seattle is a very rich city.

Tell that to the homeless people shooting up in the allies in pioneer square or (piss alley) 4th and pike.
I like hearing what other people nick name their shady parts of town. We have an area called Trent Wood, and it was renamed to Trash Wood.

Sent using BrownCafe App

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
In ten years the fine leaders of Seattle will be scratching their heads and wondering why no business wants to locate in their fair city. Freaking morons have no clue how the economy operates.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Seattle is going nowhere and UPS has a negotiated contract. I work in Washington as well. Minimum wage is 9.32 an hour and they still started at 8.50 because of the contract. Plus if companies can add in benefits towards the 15 an hour, hardly any company is going to have to change anything.

MAKAVELI

Seattle is going nowhere and UPS has a negotiated contract. I work in Washington as well. Minimum wage is 9.32 an hour and they still started at 8.50 because of the contract. Plus if companies can add in benefits towards the 15 an hour, hardly any company is going to have to change anything.
What is the new starting wage with the new contract?