UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

It's unfortunately the way this company is structured. But everybody knows it isn't a 9-5 job. That's just how it is. I spend more time in my building than anybody else, I get that the days are long. But snapping and killing someone, isn't how you handle the situation.
And how many times have employees been walked out for BS reasons because the supervisor is a Prick? I'm honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yes, and when he requested a shorter day and they gave him the finger. Or when they'd take him in the office and grill him about production and claim it was about methods. Or when they'd take him in the office with 3-5 management and grill him over being in an accident - Management didn't have any other options either, did they?
Management up the ante along the way, and apparently so did this driver!
I'm not saying it's right, but sometimes we just push a little to much at the wrong time, about the wrong thing -
and Karma slaps our faces.
I can't speak for the management there because I have never interacted with any of them. You know about as much about the situation as I do.

twoweeled

You are literally blaming the company for the guy killing people.

You know what everybody else does when they hate their job? Get a new one.
No,,,,I'm thinking he's blaming the company for possibly pushing an employee pass his mental breaking point, for nothing more than a higher profit. Get another job? Or maybe the company should treat it's employee like humans?

542thruNthru

Sometimes getting another job isn't a option. We don't know what was going on in this man's life. Divorce, kids maybe even with medical issues. Any number of things could keep someone locked into a job. It's easy for us to say leave.

Not condoning what he did at all. Though saying if you don't like your job leave is also a copout. Why should he not expect to be treated like a human being.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
No,,,,I'm thinking he's blaming the company for possibly pushing an employee pass his mental breaking point, for nothing more than a higher profit. Get another job? Or maybe the company should treat it's employee like humans?
I'd love to be treated like a human. But when you accept you're just a number the day goes by a lot more smooth.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown

And if you happen to be an employee....just doing your job.
Now you're in the wrong place and the wrong time.

Being a supervisor and a human being you're well aware that everything and everyone on this earth is connected.

UPS may be at fault or not...but if you.. in your position, at work or off, treat others like dirt it's just a matter of time until someone, somewhere throws mud in your face.

twoweeled

I can't speak for the management there because I have never interacted with any of them. You know about as much about the situation as I do.
yeah, I assume you know I don't know his situation either. I assume something pushed him over the end. I also assume, I assume a lot.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Well clearly he had a mental breakdown.
And why doesn't this happen at say Walmart, Target, McDonalds. I present you the idea that the wages and lifestyle we live represent stress. Everyone has bills and problems, but when you start adding 0's on the end they get bigger.

Unlike a Walmart job where if you hate t there's another right down the road you can get at the same rate. Here, you have insurance, pension, good wages, and you build a life around that. Management threatening that lifestyle is a bigger deal since the opportunity to replace what you've been making/saving/striving for isn't there. The idea of the world coming in around you as you struggle to do your best every day and being told it's never good enough and you don't feel as though your good enough, could have culminated into "no options" left. Add in the fact if you hated this job every time you walked through the doors, the pressure could have been to much. You feel trapped with no escape.

Just something to think about.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Sometimes getting another job isn't a option. We don't know what was going on in this man's life. Divorce, kids maybe even with medical issues. Any number of things could keep someone locked into a job. It's easy for us to say leave.

Not condoning what he did at all. Though saying if you don't like your job leave is also a copout. Why should he not expect to be treated like a human being.
And how do we know he wasn't treated like a human? I mean this whole thread is saying management is at fault for the guy snapping, but we know nothing about his circumstances. Maybe his wife left him and he was trying to get shot by a cop? We know nothing.

There are a lot of blanket statements made on this site about the entire company, but experiences in every building is different.

twoweeled

So wait, we have a guy with known mental issues yet no one brings this up while he operates a motor vehicle capable of a lot more damage than an "assault pistol".
The mental issue could be many things. how many management have we heard of going out on stress? Mental issues cover a wide area.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
There are UPSers that aren't going home to their families tonight and my prayers are for all of them. I hope they find peace in the days to come. But, I would be a damn liar if I said this is any kind of surprise. The last 10 years UPS has developed a culture of high pressure and a "win at all cost" mentality. Everyday is a win or fail and God have mercy on those who don't win. I've seen so much dishonesty and fraud from management and their production standards that I cannot say I couldn't imagine anyone snapping and going full psychotic, like today. All I hope for is that every UPSer, who learns of today's horror, takes a minute to ask themself how they contribute to the culture of pressure and punishment at UPS. All we have are each other. Once again, may God bring peace to all involved.

So once again you blame it on management, you are so full of it. I can say the same thing about hourly employees in regards to dishonesty and fraud and I try and get rid of every one of them. Here is one of my examples: you are on the 9.5 list, we reduce your work load substantially, you still work 9.48 hours everyday not 8.5, 9.0 or 8.75 . That my friend, is stealing in my eyes. You cannot afford to work 8-9 hours a day and sure as hell not in SF. So if you want it, work for it by the guidelines laid out by the employer. Some days you will win, some days you won't (your words) the key is to have more winning days then losing days. I could post my opinion on the production standards but will save it for another time.

So you really want to change things? Go in to work tomorrow morning and say good morning and mean it..to your supervisor or manager. Have a conversation that is not related to work from the day before. We live in your community also. Yes your management team will address some things from the day before, because that is what management does in any business. It's not us against you, (all we have is each other) if you have that in your center then someone in your building/center/barn created it and feeds off of it. That some one could be management or hourly do not feed into the BS it is what they want.

Everything I posted above is the way I run my center, is it perfect no, but at least we are not at each other's throats everyday. So with all that said look in the mirror in the morning and ask yourself if you are part of the problem at work.

My heart goes out to the families that lost a loved one today, I hope they find peace and solace in the coming days.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
And why doesn't this happen at say Walmart, Target, McDonalds. I present you the idea that the wages and lifestyle we live represent stress. Everyone has bills and problems, but when you start adding 0's on the end they get bigger.

Unlike a Walmart job where if you hate t there's another right down the road you can get at the same rate. Here, you have insurance, pension, good wages, and you build a life around that. Management threatening that lifestyle is a bigger deal since the opportunity to replace what you've been making/saving/striving for isn't there. The idea of the world coming in around you as you struggle to do your best every day and being told it's never good enough and you don't feel as though your good enough, could have culminated into "no options" left

Just something to think about.
People put themselves in a position to not afford their lifestyle. I see people who can get by with only working a sort everyday and then are broke when they reach top rate. Yes "Mo' money, mo' problems" but if you're working 60 hours a week like everybody on the site claims and you can't save anything. Something isn't right.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Pretty much this. When I saw what time it happened I thought it might have been a preloader. They get ripped apart at my hub, (called retarded, abused, picked on, etc). RIP
I bet management will be nice tomorrow and bring bagels and coffee and all that stuff...then Friday back to normal...they're asking people from my center to go work
In San Francisco tomorrow...I'd do it in a heart beat...I'd fail so hard but it would be fun

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The mental issue could be many things. how many management have we heard of going out on stress? Mental issues cover a wide area.
I was just saying anyone could have mental issues, not to make light but I've had stressful breakdowns before, it happens. How we deal with it is what matters.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
So once again you blame it on management, you are so full of it. I can say the same thing about hourly employees in regards to dishonesty and fraud and I try and get rid of every one of them. Here is one of my examples: you are on the 9.5 list, we reduce your work load substantially, you still work 9.48 hours everyday not 8.5, 9.0 or 8.75 . That my friend, is stealing in my eyes. You cannot afford to work 8-9 hours a day and sure as hell not in SF. So if you want it, work for it by the guidelines laid out by the employer. Some days you will win, some days you won't (your words) the key is to have more winning days then losing days. I could post my opinion on the production standards but will save it for another time.

So you really want to change things? Go in to work tomorrow morning and say good morning and mean it..to your supervisor or manager. Have a conversation that is not related to work from the day before. We live in your community also. Yes your management team will address some things from the day before, because that is what management does in any business. It's not us against you, (all we have is each other) if you have that in your center then someone in your building/center/barn created it and feeds off of it. That some one could be management or hourly do not feed into the BS it is what they want.

Everything I posted above is the way I run my center, is it perfect no, but at least we are not at each other's throats everyday. So with all that said look in the mirror in the morning and ask yourself if you are part of the problem at work.

My heart goes out to the families that lost a loved one today, I hope they find peace and solace in the coming days.

Hahahahahhaha ha....9.5 and working 9.48 hours that's funny...you should be a comedian

542thruNthru

And how do we know he wasn't treated like a human? I mean this whole thread is saying management is at fault for the guy snapping, but we know nothing about his circumstances. Maybe his wife left him and he was trying to get shot by a cop? We know nothing.

There are a lot of blanket statements made on this site about the entire company, but experiences in every building is different.

You're right. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that it's managments fault and that it was management that was shot.

Still kind shows you how bad it really is when that's what everyone thinks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
People put themselves in a position to not afford their lifestyle. I see people who can get by with only working a sort everyday and then are broke when they reach top rate. Yes "Mo' money, mo' problems" but if you're working 60 hours a week like everybody on the site claims and you can't save anything. Something isn't right.
That has nothing to do with how he got there, you don't purposely say you're going to go deeply into debt and need 60hrs a week to service the debt.