UPS Shooting- San Francisco (Rant & News thread)

TheFigurehead

Every since that day ups has really bumped up their security

Maybe at your hub... but it's like it never happened at mine. We have metal detectors on the way in and out, and a guard that is supposed to wand you if you set off the detector... but I have yet to be wanded on the way in (or out for that matter, but that's another story). My boots set off the detector every time, so it's not as if I'm going through clean. They (both UPS and the company we contract the guards through) couldn't give a $#!+. I could be walking in with guns, grenades, or a broadsword, and walking out with thousands of dollars of goods, and no one would be any the wiser (at least at the guard shack).

jaker

trolling
Maybe at your hub... but it's like it never happened at mine. We have metal detectors on the way in and out, and a guard that is supposed to wand you if you set off the detector... but I have yet to be wanded on the way in (or out for that matter, but that's another story). My boots set off the detector every time, so it's not as if I'm going through clean. They (both UPS and the company we contract the guards through) couldn't give a $#!+. I could be walking in with guns, grenades, or a broadsword, and walking out with thousands of dollars of goods, and no one would be any the wiser (at least at the guard shack).
Wow , yeah we used to be able to just walk though with our lunch box and now we have to put everything though the xray and if it doesn't fit then you can't bring it

Box Ox

A related opinion piece posted on Vote No today, "Going Brown":

there is one thing we know for sure: UPS will not change any of its policies —impossible productivity demands, excessive overtime, the constant micro-management and institutional harassment of drivers — that likely sparked the killings.
I completed my book The Package King: A Rank and File History of United Parcel Service after Joe’s rage killings in Inglenook, Alabama. I made a very tentative comment about what it meant for the future of workplace violence at UPS. “I’m not suggesting that we are going to replace Going Postal with Going Brown, but UPS’s brutal treatment of its work force will have its reckoning,” I wrote. “UPS, however, seems oblivious to it all.”

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/06/ups-shooting-workplace-violence-neoliberalism-teamsters

ManInBrown

center manager gave a 2 second blurb about the incident in a PCM a few days after it happened. The blurb included "Guys you can come to us. Never let it get to that" what a crock of :censored2:. "now get out there and eat that 12 hour day, and be thankful you work for such a great company"

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A related opinion piece posted on Vote No today, "Going Brown":
Going Brown

Good article but it totally ignored the Teamster's part in the workplace tension and pressure by negotiating high compensation without considering the competitive business environment.
UPS pushes it's Union employees because the friend/T employees are compensated well over the industry average.
Therefore, UPS union workers have to work really hard to make up for the UPS Driver compensation.

UPS also needs to do more psychological testing before anyone can go driving to weed out the emotional troubled employees.
This effort, of course, is hindered by the Union.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Perhaps management prospects need psych testing also?
I'm pretty sure that is done.
One does not have to be aware they are being tested.
I am aware of many UPSer's who were not 'advanced' because of psych evals they never knew was done.
UPS cannot keep P/T from going into the high stress UPS Driver position.

TheFigurehead

I'm pretty sure that is done.
One does not have to be aware they are being tested.
I am aware of many UPSer's who were not 'advanced' because of psych evals they never knew was done.
UPS cannot keep P/T from going into the high stress UPS Driver position.

The only "psych eval" done for prospective management is two questions long: "Will the candidate do as instructed without questioning their superiors? Will the candidate do whatever necessary (moral or otherwise) to attempt to force more productivity out of their employees?"

BrownThunder

My current center manager came from the hub where the shooting took place. He knew everyone involved. It was tough watching him give PCM a lot of us were in tears feeling empathy for the victims.

twoweeled

Bonus and overtime both get paid at time and a half in some centers. In centers where bonus gets paid at straight time I can see your point.
A center paying time and a half would be news to MANY of us, I'm sure!! It almost doesn't even make sense? It defeats the incentive for the company to pay incentive, in large part.
Can/Would you tell me 2 buildings where package pays incentive at the rate of "time and half" to package drivers? City and State? Thanks!

twoweeled

I have never seen a Fed-Ex express driver who kept up the pace of a UPS driver.

I have never seen a Fed-ex ground driver who cared about their customers like a UPS teamster driver.

And as to mailmen....Well, :sleeping:

I thought you went through de-programming when you retired, Photog.
You so funny!! You also very accurate!!
kid-laughing.jpg

BUCN85

A center paying time and a half would be news to MANY of us, I'm sure!! It almost doesn't even make sense? It defeats the incentive for the company to pay incentive, in large part.
Can/Would you tell me 2 buildings where package pays incentive at the rate of "time and half" to package drivers? City and State? Thanks!
Bonus paid time and 1/2 here. Ohio