UPS stock part deaux

barnyard

KTM rider
Huh, evidently my stock post is corrupted (or just plain corrupt.)

Anyways, I was on route yesterday and the Ed Jones broker clued me that UPS was at $47ish.

I came home and raised my stock allocation. It's a fire sale I tell ya.

Anyone else taking advantage of all the buying opportunities????

I also increased my weekly Roth contribution.

TB

SmithBarney

Its definitely a buyers market, if you have extra dough, its a time to invest across the board. Maybe not to much in the tech fields, but commodities :)
amazon though is looking at a potential 20% in the next 1/4 but thats just
what I heard on MSNBC so take everything with a grain of salt.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Huh, evidently my stock post is corrupted (or just plain corrupt.)

Anyways, I was on route yesterday and the Ed Jones broker clued me that UPS was at $47ish.

I came home and raised my stock allocation. It's a fire sale I tell ya.

Anyone else taking advantage of all the buying opportunities????

I also increased my weekly Roth contribution.

TB

Already bought the max at $54.50 in 3rd quarter. Seemed like a helluva price back in July; now it's $7 less. But like Sat said, It'll look good in 5 years.

Definitely a buyer's market, if you got the stomach.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Think I'm at my limit for buying right now......maybe I can convince the wife, after a "foot rub", that it will be worth it in the long run.:happy2:

Ms.PacMan

Already bought the max at $54.50 in 3rd quarter. Seemed like a helluva price back in July; now it's $7 less. But like Sat said, It'll look good in 5 years.

Definitely a buyer's market, if you got the stomach.

Hoax - please explain the window to buy stock each quarter, to me. What is the max employee stock purchase amount?

BigBrownSanta

The closing price on Sep 30 2008 was 62.89, minus 10% you will be buying at 56.60.

If the closing price on Dec 30 2008 is over 52.00, with the 10% discount, you'd be buying at over 46.80.

Today's closing price was 46.55.

Since you buy in at the lower of the prices at the beginning or end of the quarter, would you be better off buying on the open market now or waiting and buying through the Stock Purchase Plan in January?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax - please explain the window to buy stock each quarter, to me. What is the max employee stock purchase amount?
You have to have the money deducted in the quarter and the price you purchase at is the lower of the prices at the beginning or end of the quarter.
The max per year is $10,000 through the DESPP.

Ms.PacMan

Since you buy in at the lower of the prices at the beginning or end of the quarter *snip*

I thought it was -10% of the lowest price at any time in the quarter?

You have to have the money deducted in the quarter and the price you purchase at is the lower of the prices at the beginning or end of the quarter.
The max per year is $10,000 through the DESPP.

Thanks for the answer. I hate the Mellon website. I can't figure out how to increase my payroll deductions or buy in a lump sum. Te most comprehensive info is about the DRIP and I no longer reinvest the dividends because I think the fees are too high.

I'm going to call on Monday but if anyone knows here please feel free to point me in the right direction.

BigBrownSanta

I wish it was 10% off the lowest closing price of the quarter. That would have reduced some of losses I have now.

Just remember that any changes you make will be in effect until January. You won't be able to change your mind before then. After Jan 1, you can make a change, but it may take a week or two to be implemented.

I did not know there was a fee to reinvest dividends. That makes me happy I never did the dividend reinvestment.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lets hope UPS dosen't cut dividends
Actually now everyone has figured out that UPS is not a growth stock, it will most likely be positioned as a value stock, in fact almost like a Utility.
Thos type of stocks actually pay better dividends with annual yields around 4.5 - 5%. Assuming price gets back up to $70 a share, the current yield is 2.5% so teh dividends may very likely increase.

Ms.PacMan

I did not know there was a fee to reinvest dividends. That makes me happy I never did the dividend reinvestment.

Do you happen to know the buying windows? First couple weeks of a quarter?

The fee to reinvest the dividends is also a flat $10. So $10 every quarter for purchasing the stock and another $10 each quarter for the dividend reinvestment.

It's been awhile but I believe they made both transactions at the same time which is what caught my attention on the statements and rubbed me the wrong way about the additional $10 fee.