Ups stock

panther

I was thinking of talking to an expert. I know having 100% in S&P is dangerous. Been very profitable last 18 months but probably not advice an expert would recommend.

Here’s what I don’t understand why people prefer the Roth. What does it matter if you pay the taxes now or later? Isn’t all the same, and in some cases couldn’t it be more beneficial to pay them later? That’s the complicated part that I don’t understand. Could they change the laws down the road and tax traditional 401K’s very heavily? Is that why people like Roth?
Do you think taxes will be more or less when you retire?

Will the tax brackets be lower, or will my taxes personally be lower?
You also have to add social security into the equation. If you take withdraw money out of a Roth it doesn't count towards making your social security taxable. I'm not saying fo fo all in, one way or another but nothing wrong with having some money in each of them.

Zowert

I wish I bought UPS stock in 2009 when it was under $50 a share. I take that back. I should’ve went with FedEx shares at the same price (in 2009). What are they over $170 now.. How has FedEx been able to put perform UPS in the stock market? I’ve always felt like it has to do with the Union. Investors being weary of a company with a unionized work force.

I wish I bought UPS stock in 2009 when it was under $50 a share. I take that back. I should’ve went with FedEx shares at the same price (in 2009). What are they over $170 now.. How has FedEx been able to put perform UPS in the stock market? I’ve always felt like it has to do with the Union. Investors being weary of a company with a unionized work force.
You coulda got LVS for a buck or two.

CoffeeStainedUniform

...What do you guys think?...
UPS stock is NOT a good retirement investment. The tax-free growth of your aftax401k is much better than that.

As one of many mid-range saving/investing options, it's very good. IE: I'm using my 5%gain + possible stock growth to park money for my future vehicle purchases. I make more than a CD, a little riskier but an overall conservative stock.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS stock is NOT a good retirement investment. The tax-free growth of your aftax401k is much better than that.

As one of many mid-range saving/investing options, it's very good. IE: I'm using my 5%gain + possible stock growth to park money for my future vehicle purchases. I make more than a CD, a little riskier but an overall conservative stock.
I bought a 1,000 shares when it was first offered to us for like $26 a share. Then it split and I had 2,000 shares. I sold them all when it hit 85 bucks a share and shortly after that it tanked back down to something like 48 bucks a share. That was back when a lot of center managers became instant millionaires and retired.

CoffeeStainedUniform

I bought a 1,000 shares when it was first offered to us for like $26 a share. Then it split and I had 2,000 shares. I sold them all when it hit 85 bucks a share and shortly after that it tanked back down to something like 48 bucks a share. That was back when a lot of center managers became instant millionaires and retired.
Those days are long-gone. My father in law has a similar story. Got into real-estate with it...then lost a lot of it in 2008

Retiree

Retiree

trickpony1

I know a driver that bought company stock during the IPO and for a period of time afterwards. He was in the DRIP (dividend reinvestment program).

Shouldn't he be getting annual statements?
I would think the quarterly dividend being reinvested would count as activity on the account which would cause quarterly statements to be sent?

Is there a phone number and/or email he can contact to find out why everything seems to be so secret? Thanks.

BlackCat

I know a driver that bought company stock during the IPO and for a period of time afterwards. He was in the DRIP (dividend reinvestment program).

Shouldn't he be getting annual statements?
I would think the quarterly dividend being reinvested would count as activity on the account which would cause quarterly statements to be sent?

Is there a phone number and/or email he can contact to find out why everything seems to be so secret? Thanks.
Why not just log into the computershare website and look it up?

trickpony1

Why not just log into the computershare website and look it up?

I suppose he can do that but what my post asked was what are/were the experiences of people on this forum regarding annual and/or quarterly statements.

The person who answers the phone at computershare may or may not know what they're talking about.

Crazy, I know.