UPS Store tells employees to lie, overcharge customers: suit

Returntosender

UPS has already been through that at least 3 times and never lost.
UPS has reached a $12 million class action lawsuit settlement over allegations it overcharged customers for shipping packages. If approved, the proposed UPS settlement will provide account credits or payments to certain customers who shipped packages with UPS over the last five years.

The UPS settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit, entitled Barber Auto Sales v. United Parcel Service, Inc., that alleges UPS inaccurately measured the dimensions of customers’ packages, resulting in a higher shipping charge. Class Members of the UPS shipping class action settlement include anyone who shipped packages with UPS between May 15, 2006 and August 29, 2011 and had a shipping charge adjusted upwards as a result of UPS’s audit of package dimensions. http://www.topclassactions.com/laws...ws/1418-ups-shipping-class-action-settlement/

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS has reached a $12 million class action lawsuit settlement over allegations it overcharged customers for shipping packages. If approved, the proposed UPS settlement will provide account credits or payments to certain customers who shipped packages with UPS over the last five years.

The UPS settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit, entitled Barber Auto Sales v. United Parcel Service, Inc., that alleges UPS inaccurately measured the dimensions of customers’ packages, resulting in a higher shipping charge. Class Members of the UPS shipping class action settlement include anyone who shipped packages with UPS between May 15, 2006 and August 29, 2011 and had a shipping charge adjusted upwards as a result of UPS’s audit of package dimensions. http://www.topclassactions.com/laws...ws/1418-ups-shipping-class-action-settlement/

The key point is UPS settled in all these cases without admitting wrongdoing.
The claimants got a free 2 day air envelope or the like.
People sue UPS all the time (mostly lawyers) and the only people who get anything of substance are lawyers.

Foamer Pyle

Based solely on the Post's information, the Hagan's were in control of their customer interface and their employees, not UPS. They're just a couple of losers that will end up with huge legal fees and probably nothing else. I don't think UPS would settle on something like this.
Lying, cheating, and stealing is done every day at UPS, these guys must have taken a UPS sponsored ethics class.

Sent using BrownCafe App

wayfair

swollen member
I have shippers on my route that fudge the weights all the time... If I notice a big difference in weight, I'll pull those packages for the revenue recovery folks to make sure it's corrected.... my future too.... these ** look like their taking advantage of their customers and need to get the boot or work for COKE

Last edited by a moderator:

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I worked at the customer counter the last five years of my career and would constantly get inquires about why the stores were charging them more for the same size and weight of boxes. My boss would take a package and figure out the price of it and then take it to one of the stores and we never did catch them gouging the customers. I finally just told the customers that complained about it to just come to where I worked and they knew they would get the correct price. Hell, I used to throw in a lot of stuff for free many times to returning customers, mostly free boxes.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I have shippers on my route that fudge the weights all the time... If I notice a big difference in weight, I'll pull those packages for the revenue recovery folks to make sure it's corrected.... my future too.... these :censored2: look like their taking advantage of their customers and need to get the boot or work for COKE

Working at the counter we got that a lot too. Just take a black crayon from preload and write "REV CLK" and circle it. In the unload at night, the revenue clerks will catch it and write up the shipper for the correct pricing and they will get charged for the correct amount the following bill cycle.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Working at the counter we got that a lot too. Just take a black crayon from preload and write "REV CLK" and circle it. In the unload at night, the revenue clerks will catch it and write up the shipper for the correct pricing and they will get charged for the correct amount the following bill cycle.

We used to have a revenue audit clerk in our center---this position was abolished and the duties transferred to the hubs in Albany and Syracuse.

In addition to correcting the shipping charges UPS adds a revenue correction surcharge.

worldwide

We used to have a revenue audit clerk in our center---this position was abolished and the duties transferred to the hubs in Albany and Syracuse.

In addition to correcting the shipping charges UPS adds a revenue correction surcharge.

Your last sentence is not accurate. Please post a link to ups.com or the UPS service guide that indicates there is a "revenue correction surcharge." UPS has several charges that "catch" people after the package is shipped (i.e. address correction, residential/commercial adjustment, late payment fee, etc.) but there is no such thing as a revenue correction surcharge.

upschuck

Your last sentence is not accurate. Please post a link to ups.com or the UPS service guide that indicates there is a "revenue correction surcharge." UPS has several charges that "catch" people after the package is shipped (i.e. address correction, residential/commercial adjustment, late payment fee, etc.) but there is no such thing as a revenue correction surcharge.
Yes there is. It is a small nominal charge if weight stays under 70 lbs, but if it goes from under 70 to over 70 it is a nice little chunk. I talked to a rev guy and he told me what it was, don't remember, but remember thinking it was a lot.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes there is. It is a small nominal charge if weight stays under 70 lbs, but if it goes from under 70 to over 70 it is a nice little chunk. I talked to a rev guy and he told me what it was, don't remember, but remember thinking it was a lot.
Maybe this is about semantics.
Surcharge has a very specific meaning.

oldngray

nowhere special
There "should" be a penalty/surcharge for heavy packages but UPS rate structure encourages shippers to bundle or ship in larger boxes. It is cheaper to ship one 120 pound package than 2 60's.

upschuck

Maybe this is about semantics.
Surcharge has a very specific meaning.
I was referring to misweighed packages, and the adjustment that follows. I call it the "shame on you" charge. One thing I can't stand is a box that is so totally off on the weight, and the shipper doing it on purpose. A couple pounds off may just be a bad scale, but when every package is 15+ lbs short, then it is being done on purpose.

Kae3106

I don't know if they're still doing it but the UPS store near me was charging $1 per package if you wanted to drop off a prepaid package.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I was referring to misweighed packages, and the adjustment that follows. I call it the "shame on you" charge. One thing I can't stand is a box that is so totally off on the weight, and the shipper doing it on purpose. A couple pounds off may just be a bad scale, but when every package is 15+ lbs short, then it is being done on purpose.

You'll find this happens with the call tag service too, it's atrocious what shippers think they can get away with.

worldwide

Yeah, there is.

Thanks for playing.

And if there was this mysterious charge, it would be listed in the rate and service guide and ups.com.

Still waiting for you to post that link to back up your claim. Can you?

If a package is weighed and the actual weight differs from what the shipper stated at the time of shipping, there is an adjustment of the difference of the stated weight and actual weight. There is no additional charge on top of that.

Looking forward to your facts to back up your claim.