UPS Store tells employees to lie, overcharge customers: suit

Yeah, there is.

Thanks for playing.

No, there's not.

I have spent the last two years in a position for a company where I detail the UPS invoices for our 4 shipping locations on the east coast.
1,000s of packages a day. I go over the invoice, check every single additional charge UPS tacks on and make sure it's valid.
When they aren't valid, I dispute with UPS and have a 90+% success rate.
We have never once received a charge for "revenue correction"
If a package weighs more than what we said, UPS simply charges us the difference between the two on the Adjustments & Other Charges portion of the invoice (original charges show up in a different section).

There "should" be a penalty/surcharge for heavy packages but UPS rate structure encourages shippers to bundle or ship in larger boxes. It is cheaper to ship one 120 pound package than 2 60's.

This is not correct either.

Published rates (ie no discounts applied) ship GROUND from 06082 to 20794:

2 pkgs @ 60 lbs each - $68.14 total
1 pkgs @ 120 lbs - $100.90

Feel free to do a Calculate Time and Cost on UPS website

And look at the UPS Zones and Rates link on the left hand column. You'll see that any package over 70 lbs but under 90 lbs has an $8.75 Additional Handling Charge.
Any package over 90 lbs has a Large Package Surcharge of $56.60.
If the package is over 150 lbs it is also hit with a $51.65 Over Maximum Limits surcharge (for a total of $108.25 for a 151 lb package)

upschuck

A 91 lb small package does not get large package surcharge. Large package surcharge kicks in at 131 length and girth. Weight has nothing to do with it.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never heard of a weight surcharge either. When UPS first started allowing over 70 pound packages the rate structure was soundly criticized because it did encourage fewer heavier packages. A surcharge may have been added later but at least initially did not exist.

worldwide

Yes there is. It is a small nominal charge if weight stays under 70 lbs, but if it goes from under 70 to over 70 it is a nice little chunk. I talked to a rev guy and he told me what it was, don't remember, but remember thinking it was a lot.

upstate and upschuck,

There is no such thing as a "revenue correction charge." If you are both so sure about this, please post the link to it from the rate guide at ups.com. All UPS charges a customer may be assessed are posted on the website. Of course, you could always admit you are mistaken about this.

Packages weighing over 70 lbs are subject to an $8.75 additional handling charge (as stated in the service guide).

upschuck

upstate and upschuck,

There is no such thing as a "revenue correction charge." If you are both so sure about this, please post the link to it from the rate guide at ups.com. All UPS charges a customer may be assessed are posted on the website. Of course, you could always admit you are mistaken about this.

Packages weighing over 70 lbs are subject to an $8.75 additional handling charge (as stated in the service guide).
You are correct. Talked to someone higher than who I first talked with, and they said no extra charge. My bad. Not afraid to admit when I am wrong.

TUT

Your last sentence is not accurate. Please post a link to ups.com or the UPS service guide that indicates there is a "revenue correction surcharge." UPS has several charges that "catch" people after the package is shipped (i.e. address correction, residential/commercial adjustment, late payment fee, etc.) but there is no such thing as a revenue correction surcharge.

As for an additional charge for weights being off I have not seen that from UPS or Fedex, they just adjust it via re-weigh/scan at the hubs. UPS seems a bit more liberal, seems every Fedex package gets re-weighed and scanned. You are just charged what they find, nothing additional.

In terms of something that can incur an extra charge that perhaps NY is alluding to: (And it happens in real-life to)

There is a revenue correction charge, not saying it is named exactly that, when an invalid 3rd party account or Credit Card is used. Or even a refusal of 3rd party paying byt the 3rd party. "package is shipped to an unauthorized consignee" is another, but I don't really know what this one means.

Service Guide: http://www.ups.com/media/en/daily_rates.pdf

Missing/Invalid Account Number or Refusal Fee; Chargeback for Consignee Billing Shipments

A processing fee will be charged for a missing or invalid account number when the account
number is missing, the account number is not the correct number for the bill-to party,
the account number is for a receiver or third party who fails to pay the shipping charges,
or the package is shipped to an unauthorized consignee.

In the event of non-payment by the consignee or third party, the original shipper will be billed
a refusal fee in addition to the shipping charges

$12.35

Fedex has the same thing, they charge $12.00 http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/Service_Guide_2014.pdf

Just remember who shares links and doesn't just say stuff and use "trust me". Referencing the discussion had about Insurance Cadillac Plans, I'm almost certain you guys will be in for a treat. I backed it with several links I shared, were I believe everyone else had not links and used the words... "trust me".

There is nothing I can find, nor have I ever seen a surcharge for the weight being off, just an adjusted weight charge of what it would have cost if the weight was correct on the label to begin with.

Last edited:
A 91 lb small package does not get large package surcharge. Large package surcharge kicks in at 131 length and girth. Weight has nothing to do with it.
UPS Chuck, sorry - you're right about that. It's actually dimensions that kick the LPS in - Length plus Girth is over 130. And those packages are automatically rated at a min. of 90 lbs if they weigh less.
OML surcharge is packages over 150#, or 108" in length, or total length + girth of 165.