Ups testing delivering ground on saturdays

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In some supplements there's language that says a driver with a seniority date before 8/1/2008 can't be forced onto a t-s workweek. I think when and if this delivering on Saturdays becomes the norm it will only be a delivery day,(no regular daily p/ups). I also think due to the very strong article 40 air language the part time air drivers will continue to deliver the next day air.

Saturday air is 90 minute relaxed. It would be dispatched with the ground.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Some centers have agreements with large shippers to pick them up, but it doesn't go any farther than the building. No local sort needed.
Not true. Some bigger hubs will have a Saturday reload sort operation. Otherwise it'll blow the hub out on Monday. There will be some t-s preloaders and reload in the bigger areas.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Not so sure about that. Saturday air is big $$.
It won't be anymore. And it'll be used to bite into fedex and their Saturday service.

If they're running grounds as regular service on Saturday, what makes you think they'll keep a special Saturday service for nda? It'll just be NDA. Just like there will be no special Saturday ground services

By The Book

Not true. Some bigger hubs will have a Saturday reload sort operation. Otherwise it'll blow the hub out on Monday. There will be some t-s preloaders and reload in the bigger areas.
Did you get ahold of an internal memo? You seem to have the playbook on this one. I'll let you quarterback this one while I sit back in my easy chair. Lol

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Did you get ahold of an internal memo? You seem to have the playbook on this one. I'll let you quarterback this one while I sit back in my easy chair. Lol
We had an actual PCM on it recently. This is what is being floated in the test markets. Florida is going to be in one of the phases of this. They said by September apparently

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It won't be anymore. And it'll be used to bite into fedex and their Saturday service.

If they're running grounds as regular service on Saturday, what makes you think they'll keep a special Saturday service for nda? It'll just be NDA. Just like there will be no special Saturday ground services

Using your logic, all of the air is on property Saturday morning. Why not just run all of the air, including known closures, to take the edge off of Monday?

PT Car Washer

How? We already sweep large retails on Saturday.

Where would this extra pickup volume come from?
My building we only pick up UPS stores NDA and 2DA and one Target store. Maybe a 100 packages total at the most. Sure we could pick up the ground also like we do in December and that would take some of the pressure off of Monday pick ups.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I work in metro Philadelphia division. We were told recently it won't be starting til October. For those interested, we don't have bidded trips, just bidded start times. That language is in our supplement, and has been for decades from what I'm told. Maybe why they are testing in our market? Was told Saturday air driver position will be eliminated. They are looking for 25-30 routes to do around 250 stops each. All rumor at this point as far as I'm concerned.

PT Car Washer

I work in metro Philadelphia division. We were told recently it won't be starting til October. For those interested, we don't have bidded trips, just bidded start times. That language is in our supplement, and has been for decades from what I'm told. Maybe why they are testing in our market? Was told Saturday air driver position will be eliminated. They are looking for 25-30 routes to do around 250 stops each. All rumor at this point as far as I'm concerned.
Sounds like a very long Saturday. As usual UPS is going to beat the Saturday drivers into the dirt.