UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Without the pension, I wouldn't feel secure with $2 million. That's just me. Sure even with a 5% return, we're talking about $100,000 (I hope my math isn't all screwed up again). But I'm just not sure How secure I would feel about the next years ahead. Just me.
2 million without any growth at all for 20 years is 100k a year. With a Roth that's like 8k per month in spending money. Not counting any ss.

twoweeled

Unfortunately I do. I certainly don't plan to work here long term, however. UPS is a joke. I'm here for the insurance until my daughter goes to school full time, and then I am out... another year or two at most. I can't wait to relieve myself of the burden of the idiocy that surrounds me.

I've worked plenty of places in plenty of industries and I have never seen such a poorly run company as this. Any manager in my hub wouldn't last a week at a McDonalds without being fired for incompetence. If UPS wasn't a 100+ year old company, they'd be out of business in a month. Yes, they do an amazing job at the hard part... the logistics of getting a parcel from point A to point B in a prescribed timeframe... but everything that happens in between picking up that package and delivering it to the customer is inefficient, ridiculous, wasteful nonsense. A 5 year old could run a hub smarter, faster, and more efficiently than UPS does. It doesn't have to be this way, but we have too many unqualified idiots in some building in Atlanta who have never done the job making decisions based solely on what they think will improve stock prices. I won't shed a tear when this place drops dead. They've earned it over the past 20 years of greed and profiteering.
Believe it or not, at one time many many years ago. UPS was a finely tune machine. Well oiled and all! Nothing like it is now. I may be talking about before you were born.

twoweeled

2 million without any growth at all for 20 years is 100k a year. With a Roth that's like 8k per month in spending money. Not counting any ss.
putting aside the roth. 100K is good for now. In 20 years that 100K will have the buying power of about $50K. Mmm looking at it again, I guess it could work. Damn, I'm starting to feel a little better. Of course my dad is 90 now and looking good. But that really does look better than I had thought. I'm sorta preparing for the possibility of a pension collapse. I guess I'm still good!!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
IMG_2396.GIF

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
putting aside the roth. 100K is good for now. In 20 years that 100K will have the buying power of about $50K. Mmm looking at it again, I guess it could work. Damn, I'm starting to feel a little better. Of course my dad is 90 now and looking good. But that really does look better than I had thought. I'm sorta preparing for the possibility of a pension collapse. I guess I'm still good!!
Yeah the hardest part is knowing when you'll need money til. If we knew when we'd die it would be easy.

Me I'm not worried about. If I make it to 80+ I'll be doing good. Now my wife. Could easily make it to triple digits with her family longevity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I bet whoever came up with, and approved this idea retires within the next 5 years.
No funds were contributed towards my retirement pension once I reached 35 years.
So if someone still working now with 30 years in and they work until 2022, their monthly pension payout should not be affected.