UPS Truck Hijacked, Driver killed in Shootout

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
...Until the car pulls into a mall and the perps run inside where the helicopter cant see them. They had already shot the owner of the jewelry store. Once they got jammed up in traffic they opened fire on the police. I dont know what else the cops could have done.
Not charged the truck, clear out civilians in the surrounding cars, get snipers in place ... that scenario comes to mind.
Bravely charging the perps is not necessarily the best approach.
I do appreciate and respect the bravery of the police but not the tactics.
It wasn't an active shooter situation shooting kids or car drivers at random.

oldngray

nowhere special
Not charged the truck, clear out civilians in the surrounding cars, get snipers in place ... that scenario comes to mind.
Bravely charging the perps is not necessarily the best approach.
I do appreciate the bravery of the police but not the tactics.
Bravely charging?

By using the cars (and passengers) of bystanders as cover?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
A father and a son to 2 children is dead. Murdered by incompetent sloppy unprofessional police. Let’s stick to the topic

Okdriver

Is this some sort of unwriting cop code that everybody shoot to cover there ass so they can’t prove who killed him or so they worry that their bullet didn’t kill him none of cops got hit. Didn’t give a damm about the hundreds of innocent civilians nearby and what really can’t understand they knew he was in there!

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
In a very quiet move the company removed all of our parking lot on property weapon restriction signs.

According to a HR rep's story told to me there was a feeder driver fired for having a rifle lawfully displayed in his pickup's rear window on company property and he refused to remove it.

He sued in federal court and won several million dollars so the company had to remove their signs from the parking lots.

There's no good answer for protecting our drivers in the highest crime areas but sending two drivers out in one truck and letting them carry is a good move much like the police riding double in squad cars in the hoods.

But it'll never happen because profit is more important than people.

oldngray

nowhere special
Is this some sort of unwriting cop code that everybody shoot to cover there ass so they can’t prove who killed him or so they worry that their bullet didn’t kill him none of cops got hit. Didn’t give a damm about the hundreds of innocent civilians nearby and what really can’t understand they knew he was in there!
The other victim was a 70 year old guy who was just sitting in his car.

rod

Retired 22 years
If anything you see on tv forensic shows is true it shouldn't be too hard to find the particular guns that fired the shots that killed the driver. Be it thugs or cops. Settle it once and for all.

oldngray

nowhere special
If anything you see on tv forensic shows is true it shouldn't be too hard to find the particular guns that fired the shots that killed the driver. Be it thugs or cops. Settle it once and for all.
Forensics aren't magic. They may never be able to determine who fired the fatal shots.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
In a very quiet move the company removed all of our parking lot on property weapon restriction signs.

According to a HR rep's story told to me there was a feeder driver fired for having a rifle lawfully displayed in his pickup's rear window on company property and he refused to remove it.

He sued in federal court and won several million dollars so the company had to remove their signs from the parking lots.

There's no good answer for protecting our drivers in the highest crime areas but sending two drivers out in one truck and letting them carry is a good move much like the police riding double in squad cars in the hoods.

But it'll never happen because profit is more important than people.
I kept a pistol in my car console at UPS Corporate for 20 years ... it seems it is a 'don't tell/show' no harm rule.

MattM

Wondering out loud here. Can door locks be installed on these trucks? I realize you’re in and out a lot. Many drive with the doors open because of no a/c. A lot can be done to not be so damn cheap.
I thought stick shifts were being phased out? Let’s give the new guy the crappiest truck. Kudos for making it work (until this tragic situation happened). Maybe they made him drive to get up to speed and they didn’t know stick.

I hope there is some investigation from both sides.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Locks on the doors would not make any sense.

I don't know how @soberups can determine whether it was a stick or not from that video; in addition, it would make it hard to shift if the driver was crouched on the floor between the seats.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Wondering out loud here. Can door locks be installed on these trucks? I realize you’re in and out a lot. Many drive with the doors open because of no a/c. A lot can be done to not be so damn cheap.
I thought stick shifts were being phased out? Let’s give the new guy the crappiest truck. Kudos for making it work (until this tragic situation happened). Maybe they made him drive to get up to speed and they didn’t know stick.

I hope there is some investigation from both sides.
There are door locks on the trucks. At the very bottom of the box where the handle is. Locks would not be practical for this type of vehicle but they are there.