Ups wants to take away vacation from 10 years ago

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe it was a plateau year issue, don't know.
Either way, it seems to me to be far too long after the fact despite the supplement.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure the company would be crying untimely.
What strikes me as odd is how a 20 yr man can be out of vacation in late January, minus a week or not.
This issue shouldn't affect him until his final week.
Maybe it's a regional thing.
Here, in the central, we are awarded our vacation from January to January.

I am glad you brought the plateau issue up. I got my 5th week last year, took and was paid for all 5 weeks, yet my end of year paystub from 12/31/10 showed -45 hours. My current paystub shows 180 hours when it should be 225. I will monitor it and if it doesn't update I will bring it to my mgt team's attention.

SWORDFISH

Either way, it seems to me to be far too long after the fact, supplemental language aside.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure the company would be crying untimely.
What strikes me as odd is how a 20 yr man can be out of vacation in late January, minus a week or not.
Here, in the central, we are awarded our vacations from January to January.
Is this not the case elsewhere?

Its not the same everywhere bro. I get mine renewed in april every year. For my area it is from when you started driving and your floaters renew when you hit your company start day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Its not the same everywhere bro. I get mine renewed in april every year. For my area it is from when you started driving and your floaters renew when you hit your company start day.

It used to be similar to that here prior to the '97 contract.
The company, in light of the obvious logistical nightmare, requested that it go from Jan. to Jan. for all employees.
Guess it only happened in the Central Region.
Reality had it creating a ripple effect as to when you would be eligible to plateau for an additional week of vacation.
A decade and hundreds of grievances later, it still isn't clear.
You guys may be better off.

Got4wd

Either way, it seems to me to be far too long after the fact, supplemental language aside.
Here, in the central, we are awarded our vacations from January to January.
Is this not the case elsewhere?

Its going to be interesting when I go in on monday and see if they are going to pay me for the week ending Feb 12th. By contract they need to pay me 2 weeks before vacation. I have never taken "more vacation" than what I was entitled to. And actually, I think the year 2000 was the year I "went" driving full time" All vacation was cashed out in part time wage before going driving. This was told to me by management, so actually I never had "vacation" in 2K. And I'm not trying to take money from the company that is not mine. But I can tell you what, they are trying to take full scale drivers wage ($30 an hour at 50hours a week) to part time wage (if I remember right $12 and hour? and maybe 15 hours a week?)

Last edited:

Got4wd

On another note this year getting paid for vacation was a nightmare. My seniority date is 8/92 so they didn't want to pay me for vacation before the month of 8 because "I didn't pass my seniority date" I told them then that I would take the months of 11-12 off. After 10 years of service ups fronts you the vacation, at least until last year when they said "it changed this year" They didn't pay me a weeks in Nov and I got 5 weeks penalty pay.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It used to be similar to that here prior to the '97 contract.
The company, in light of the obvious logistical nightmare, requested that it go from Jan. to Jan. for all employees.
Guess it only happened in the Central Region.
Reality had it creating a ripple effect as to when you would be eligible to plateau for an additional week of vacation.
A decade and hundreds of grievances later, it still isn't clear.
You guys may be better off.

You mean the "pre-plateau" year issue.

It's simple.... the company just didn't like or realize what they agreed to.

And then spent every waking moment trying back out or argue that was not

the intent of the agreement. Yeah right....

Be carefull of what you wish for company....:happy-very:

I think if they would have just asked for more cowbell....

-Bug-

rod

Retired 22 years
You mean the "pre-plateau" year issue.

It's simple.... the company just didn't like or realize what they agreed to.

And then spent every waking moment trying back out or argue that was not

the intent of the agreement. Yeah right....

Be carefull of what you wish for company....:happy-very:

I think if they would have just asked for more cowbell....

-Bug-

sorry---- I couldn't resist

[video=youtube;_Mie9hhQTUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQTUM[/video]

Got4wd

sorry---- I couldn't resist

[video=youtube;_Mie9hhQTUM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQTUM[/video]

Update on my vacation. They officially took 3 weeks away from me stating I tool too many 11 years ago. The union isn't doing much if anything to fix the problem. If I took too many that long ago. I will simply pay the money back at part time wages, but taking 3 weeks away at full scale is BS. I don't know what to do now. Get a lawyer?

Got4wd

It's official. They took away 3 weeks of vacation from 11 years ago. Union has been no help at all and said we can sit down and look it over. I told the union rep that I gave you all the info months ago and you haven't done anything. In 20 years I have never needed the union until now. Maybe they don't need my dues then. What's my options? Get an attorney to get vacation back? Ups keeps getting worse every year. Rant over.

Edit. Sorry for double post.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's official. They took away 3 weeks of vacation from 11 years ago. Union has been no help at all and said we can sit down and look it over. I told the union rep that I gave you all the info months ago and you haven't done anything. In 20 years I have never needed the union until now. Maybe they don't need my dues then. What's my options? Get an attorney to get vacation back? Ups keeps getting worse every year. Rant over.

Edit. Sorry for double post.

Have you filed a grievance yet?

Braveheart

Been with ups for almost 20 years. Went in a few weeks ago to get vacation in February. They looked on the books and it shows I'm 6.66 in the negative. So ups put in a inquirie about the negative days. So a few days pass and this morning I am informed that they gave me too many weeks in 2000. Over 10 years ago. I said that's hard to believe since when I come in for vacation you (ups) tell me how many weeks I have available. Manager also informed me that it could be up to 3 weeks in the negative but there is for sure at least one week negative. What are my options?
We only get to go back after pay errors for 90 days and so that is all they can go back!

Tell them to pound sand.

You worked 156 reports last year so you get all your vacation and sick days this year!

I do find it interesting that it was 6.66?? I am just saying.

Got4wd

We only get to go back after pay errors for 90 days and so that is all they can go back!

Tell them to pound sand.

You worked 156 reports last year so you get all your vacation and sick days this year!

I do find it interesting that it was 6.66?? I am just saying.

They said I can have my vacation time this year but I will lose it next year. Ups says pick, this year or next year to lose my 3 weeks.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You file because of an untimely pay adjustment on UPS's part. I believe there is a statute of limitation for that type of action on their part.

But on the other hand, remember that part time car washer that we elected BA? One of the neat things he has done was to go back on at least 6, and as many as 15 employees that UPS had screwed out of proper pay progression wage increases. While it takes almost a month of research on each case, UPS has had to pay 35 to 50 grand to each employee that he has helped. This is money they earned, it was UPS that screwed up their pay rates over the years. So in some cases, you can go back more than just a few days.

But they do not have the right to arbitrarily not pay you for your vacation. You have to sign away your rights to that pay.

So not only file for the claim not being made in a timely manner, but also file on the vacation pay not being there. There are penalties for each week it is not there. Make sure you ask for the penalties in your grievances, and add each week on with a new grievance.

d

Got4wd

You file because of an untimely pay adjustment on UPS's part. I believe there is a statute of limitation for that type of action on their part.

But on the other hand, remember that part time car washer that we elected BA? One of the neat things he has done was to go back on at least 6, and as many as 15 employees that UPS had screwed out of proper pay progression wage increases. While it takes almost a month of research on each case, UPS has had to pay 35 to 50 grand to each employee that he has helped. This is money they earned, it was UPS that screwed up their pay rates over the years. So in some cases, you can go back more than just a few days.

But they do not have the right to arbitrarily not pay you for your vacation. You have to sign away your rights to that pay.

So not only file for the claim not being made in a timely manner, but also file on the vacation pay not being there. There are penalties for each week it is not there. Make sure you ask for the penalties in your grievances, and add each week on with a new grievance.

d

I did file for penalty pay. I'm up to 7 weeks there. I'm not signing anything. I never have. RTS!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I filed on not getting paid for my vacation that I took in febuary. I still haven't received that yet. What should I file for them taking away my vacation?

That is probably the best way to process in the grievance procedure.
Then when the company goes into their explanation of the ten year old discrepancy, you take a point of order as vacation issues can only go back one year.
I never dismiss the possibility of the company trying things like this just to see what they can get away with as unchallenged issues.
So long as you haven't exceeded the allotted vacations for the last couple of years, I can't imagine how they could prevail.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As Danny said, also ask in your grievance, or a subsequent grievance, for penalty pay.
This will add to the company's liability and create a sense of urgency on their part to resolve this issue.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Penalty pay in my book for payroll issues is Art. 50, just so you know. Don't have time right now to look up vacation particulars. I will when I get back.