UPS when 9/11 happened

badpal

Far from NYC, but i remember not being able to buy any fuel later in the day. People went bonkers buying fuel. And stations raising the price every 30 minutes.

BobJ

They canceled my college classes but UPS kept loading those trailers like usual.

Worked night sort so got to watch the whole thing on my 12inch black and white TV the whole day. I remember that first shift being oddly quiet. People weren't talking. Just zombies working the hub.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It was a regular day here …..I had a security guard at one of my stops that always just buzzed me in came out with his hand on his gun and wanted me to open up the back of the truck,so I did.It was around three in the afternoon before I saw the first video of what had happened.
Anyone comes at me with their hand on their gun I'm marking all that :censored2: refused and taking it the :censored2: back with me.

I wasn’t with UPS at the time. I had put my daughter on the bus and just pulled into the parking lot of the place I was working when the first tower was hit. A coworker lived nearby so ran home and got a tv and set it up in the office. We didn’t get anything done, just watched the news as everything unfolded.

We’re also at the other end of the state, so most things ran as usual. By that night they were already sending volunteers to go downstate to help.
Rookie

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
What's the truth?
Not what they told us.

Planes have hit buildings before and never in history has that caused a perfect implosion. Buildings have had office fires many times in history and never have they perfectly imploded (I’m talking about building 7 if you don’t know about that one) but yet on this day 3 buildings did what has never been done before in history and all within a few hours. Do some research on “plane that hit Empire State Building 1945” this was a B25 bomber. The empire state building wasn‘t built to the standards the towers were.
Now if you seen video that was being shot at the time and multiple people running out of the twin tower and they was saying they heard bombs going off in the basement it makes you question. When you have a British news person on live TV (with a time stamp) saying building 7 has collapsed before it did and is even seen in the background as she is speaking you wonder. And there is much more I have seen in my study.
Do I know what happened? No. But I do know what they told us is impossible.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I saw it on a TV at a business. Saw the next tower fall at the TV station. Weird, no planes in the sky all day, except the one that flew directly over my area that crashed in PA. Stay on the road..Got in and everyone just wanted to go home. Phones didnt work very well that day, and Im talking land lines either. Busy busy. When I got in they wanted me to do the employee satisfaction survey. Cant make this crap up. Got in fairly early as all the sensible places let their employees go home. Not ours. And never again went on the road without my radio.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I saw it on a TV at a business. Saw the next tower fall at the TV station. Weird, no planes in the sky all day, except the one that flew directly over my area that crashed in PA. Stay on the road..Got in and everyone just wanted to go home. Phones didnt work very well that day, and Im talking land lines either. Busy busy. When I got in they wanted me to do the employee satisfaction survey. Cant make this crap up. Got in fairly early as all the sensible places let their employees go home. Not ours. And never again went on the road without my radio.
I get goosebumps just thinking about it. I wanted to go home as soon as I saw it on TV at a business on the route.

1080Driver

I live about 20 miles north of downtown Manhattan and was on vacation that week. I had other drivers calling me asking me what was on TV. I remember talking to my best friend as the second plane hit. The next week when I went back to work, the NYS Troopers had a truck checkpoint on I-95 heading into the city, it was there for a week or so.