UPS Work Ethic - IS America Losing It?

BrownTexas

Who cares about work ethic. Greed is the problem with the world today. Every big company takes their jobs over seas where they can pay their employees less and make more of a profit. Technology can replace workers which can then make them more money. Do they make it cheaper for you and I to buy? No. They just greatly increase the margins for the gains they will receive. UPS is no better. This company was started by 1 man. That's profit going to one person. He has kids and dies, profit now has to go to more people. They cut some fat to make the same their father made. And so forth and so on.

Faceplanted

While I agree nafta is a huge fail. It has nothing to do with the lack of skilled welders, machinest, diesel mechanics, plumbers and other skilled workers. The system has brain washed kids to go to college and get Into debt. Nafta got rid of manufacturing jobs, most of which were "unskilled" and thought from the bottom, but there are still a bunch of high paying jobs you can easually get with a year or two of tech school

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
18 year olds are adults and if they want to mortgage their future to study ancient Egyptian art than that is their right;
They may be adults, but unlike in decades past, far fewer go to college with any real life experiences including a job. You'd be shocked how many students in my classes have never held a job. I heard one girl say she could keep up with the 3 credit 100 level class I'm in because she works 10 hours a week. Here I am a schmuck working full time. Their rights should be restricted because Egyptian art may fascinate them, but after they flip a few burgers they may realize a degree with some value may be more important.
Production for companies is through the roof
There is also much more automation than 50 years ago.
Who cares about work ethic. Greed is the problem with the world today. Every big company takes their jobs over seas where they can pay their employees less and make more of a profit.
And they take their work to countries with people who possess a work ethic. The Chinese will work 12 hour days and not break a sweat. Look at the Koreans. Their kids go to school from 8 AM to almost 11 PM. They're taught a work ethic from birth. We give our kids Xboxes and tell them it's okay they came in last place, they're still winners.

Faceplanted

They may be adults, but unlike in decades past, far fewer go to college with any real life experiences including a job. You'd be shocked how many students in my classes have never held a job. I heard one girl say she could keep up with the 3 credit 100 level class I'm in because she works 10 hours a week. Here I am a schmuck working full time. Their rights should be restricted because Egyptian art may fascinate them, but after they flip a few burgers they may realize a degree with some value may be more important.

There is also much more automation than 50 years ago.

And they take their work to countries with people who possess a work ethic. The Chinese will work 12 hour days and not break a sweat. Look at the Koreans. Their kids go to school from 8 AM to almost 11 PM. They're taught a work ethic from birth. We give our kids Xboxes and tell them it's okay they came in last place, they're still winners.
So because the Chinese are what equates to working forced labor ie the iPhone factories for 12 hours a day 6 days a week in basically labor camps their better workers?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
So because the Chinese are what equates to working forced labor ie the iPhone factories for 12 hours a day 6 days a week in basically labor camps their better workers?
Forced labor camps, give me a break. They work there because they pay better than most jobs, feed them every meal, and even offer them housing. Those people are willing to do those jobs.

We're in a global economy now. It's time to adapt and not get stuck in this 20th Century View that we should close ourselves off.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Exactly. Because when I think quality, Walmart and Made in China springs immediately to mind.

/sarcasm
What device did you type that on? Willing to bet it was made in China. Who made your computer? Who made your cell phone? You get what you pay for. Quality isn't determined by the Country of Origin. If you go to Walmart and buy the cheapest item, of course it's going to be crap.

Faceplanted

Forced labor camps, give me a break. They work there because they pay better than most jobs, feed them every meal, and even offer them housing. Those people are willing to do those jobs.

We're in a global economy now. It's time to adapt and not get stuck in this 20th Century View that we should close ourselves off.
They work there because China is taking over farm land forcing people to move to the cities, forcing them to live in the labor camps and forcing them to work long hours. It's bot their choice. Suicide nets are there for a reason.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
They work there because China is taking over farm land forcing people to move to the cities, forcing them to live in the labor camps and forcing them to work long hours. It's bot their choice. Suicide nets are there for a reason.
No people are moving to the cities because they believe they will have a better quality of life. Nobody is forcing them to move there.

My father runs a facility in Suzhou, China that makes chemicals for Foxconn. He's actually been to the Shenzen (Fun fact, that is the UPS Pacific hub, wanna bet it has to do with Foxconn?) facility with the nets several times. There are 300,000 people that work there. You are going to have suicides with that many people. If you actually look at the rates they are LOWER than the average suicide rate for China and all 50 states. But why let facts get in the way of a 60 minutes piece?

livin the dream

I'm all for increasing minimum wage, but companies will simply send more jobs over seas. simple cause and effect. if we want to grow the economy and create jobs, tax the :censored2: out of companies who send work over seas. I know I would've taken a manufacturing job before I started driving, there just weren't any to take

Faceplanted

No people are moving to the cities because they believe they will have a better quality of life. Nobody is forcing them to move there.

My father runs a facility in Suzhou, China that makes chemicals for Foxconn. He's actually been to the Shenzen (Fun fact, that is the UPS Pacific hub, wanna bet it has to do with Foxconn?) facility with the nets several times. There are 300,000 people that work there. You are going to have suicides with that many people. If you actually look at the rates they are LOWER than the average suicide rate for China and all 50 states. But why let facts get in the way of a 60 minutes piece?
Thanks for your American perspective. Now Go watch one of the many documentaries with hidden cams and interviews of actual Chinese "slave" workes that say other wise

Overpaid Union Thug

When it comes to work ethic (among everyone...not just the younger people) four ideas are killing this country:

1) The government, everyone else, the world owes them something.

2) If someone else succeeds then its not fair and they were lucky or stole it from someone else. They have to share.

3) College is a right and shall be paid for by someone else and guarantees a job WITH a high salary after graduation.

4) A typical work week should be no more than 40 hours a week and should be as easy as possible.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Thanks for your American perspective. Now Go watch one of the many documentaries with hidden cams and interviews of actual Chinese "slave" workes that say other wise
Similar to statistics you can spin a documentary anyway you want it.

And it's tough to say my view is an American perspective when I clearly have the minority view here.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
When it comes to work ethic (among everyone...not just the younger people) four ideas are killing this country:

1) The government, everyone else, the world owes them something.

2) If someone else succeeds then its not fair and they were lucky or stole it from someone else. They have to share.

3) College is a right and shall be paid for by someone else and guarantees a high salary after graduation.

4) A typical work week should be no more than 40 hours a week and should be as easy as possible.
We have a winner.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I just call it like I see it. I'm beyond sick and tired of hearing people whine about student loan debt. They need to get a flippin clue and grow up for Christ's sake!
I work with a lot of guys who complain about it. They wonder why I live in a nice apartment and can afford to do certain things with all my student debt. But when they find out I work FT and then UPS 27.5 hours a week they don't want to do it. Do I wish I was home more? Sure. But I got a fancy education that is working out well for me. Have to pay it back somehow.