UPS Work Ethic - IS America Losing It?

Overpaid Union Thug

I work with a lot of guys who complain about it. They wonder why I live in a nice apartment and can afford to do certain things with all my student debt. But when they find out I work FT and then UPS 27.5 hours a week they don't want to do it. Do I wish I was home more? Sure. But I got a fancy education that is working out well for me. Have to pay it back somehow.
I'm just glad I realized college was a waste of time for me rather early in the game. I was able to get out early before I had a buttload of student loan debt.

My wife and I debt snowballed all of our debt while she worked full time and I two jobs at full time/part time while most people were barely working full time (if they even worked full time) and were whining about student loans, yet, were still racking up more debt because of their financially irresponsible lifestyles.

They are still paying off student loans. Still not in jobs they wanted. Still not making the money they dreamed of. And still blaming others for it all.

HardknocksUPSer

Couldn't begin to tell you the number of drivers at my center that have 4 year degrees who tell me they wish they would have never of gotten them because UPS pays them more.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Maybe. Look at the production curve of the US worker in the past 50 years. Production for companies is through the roof and every employee is expected to do far more today than 50 years ago and do it for less.

Exactly the problem. The race to the bottom will not benefit except a very very small handful of billionaires. Can't base the U.S. Economy 70% on consumerism and think paying people nothing and shipping jobs elsewhere is going to hold that up for much longer.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Our generation produced a better breed.
Baby boomer? The generation that mirrors selfishness and got us into this economic mess? The greatest generation built this country and made it strong after WWII and the boomers did a great job of dismantling that.

Not all boomers, but the ones in charge did. Let me be CLEAR on that point.
If that's a better breed, we are done.

Although now every generation is dealing with a mess regardless. But don't say the boomers are a better breed. Each generation has its pluses negatives.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Parents on my route buy new cars for their brats. Were talking Audi, BMW, Volvo's.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Parents on my route buy new cars for their brats. Were talking Audi, BMW, Volvo's.
My old roommate's dad bought him an Audi when he turned 16. Then he moved to college and bought him a brand new, fully loaded Subaru in cash.

I drove a 20 year old rusted pickup for my first car. If I complained I got "Give me the keys then. I'll be happy to sell it." Tough to teach a kid life lessons when you buy them whatever they want.

marlboro27s

college degree, the most useless, expensive piece of paper you will ever own... Degrees do not mean SQUAT unless you have amazing work ethic and determination.. yea sure a degree will make you more appealing to employers but its not gonna help you when you are equivalent to talking to a wall.

BrownTexas

They may be adults, but unlike in decades past, far fewer go to college with any real life experiences including a job. You'd be shocked how many students in my classes have never held a job. I heard one girl say she could keep up with the 3 credit 100 level class I'm in because she works 10 hours a week. Here I am a schmuck working full time. Their rights should be restricted because Egyptian art may fascinate them, but after they flip a few burgers they may realize a degree with some value may be more important.

There is also much more automation than 50 years ago.

And they take their work to countries with people who possess a work ethic. The Chinese will work 12 hour days and not break a sweat. Look at the Koreans. Their kids go to school from 8 AM to almost 11 PM. They're taught a work ethic from birth. We give our kids Xboxes and tell them it's okay they came in last place, they're still winners.
I throw my kids participation trophies in the trash.

bbsam

Staff member
I delivered 9 cases of participation trophies to one of our local elementary schools last week.
Nothing wrong with that to a point. We see it in youth soccer up to about U10. It's important for kids to feel that participation in extracurricular activities has a reward attached to it beyond the learning and development because development comes at different times. It keeps them involved. And to be honest, that involvement is crucial. We had a kid last fall who could barely make the team but because he loves to play and continues to participate he was leaps and bounds better this spring. A participation trophy is a small investment in keeping kids involved...and away from video games.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I throw my kids participation trophies in the trash.
When my brother was little he wanted to be a scientist. Well he had his 4th grade science fair and that kid did some crazy good work (I know, I'm biased). It took him a couple weeks to do his science experiment, then he made a word search and crossword puzzle with sciencey words in there, IN LATIN. I couldn't even do the crossword puzzle. They handed him a participation ribbon and I'll never forget his response "I did all that work for that?"

Poor kid tied with someone who took some shots off of google and put it on some poster board.

oldngray

nowhere special
When my brother was little he wanted to be a scientist. Well he had his 4th grade science fair and that kid did some crazy good work (I know, I'm biased). It took him a couple weeks to do his science experiment, then he made a word search and crossword puzzle with sciencey words in there, IN LATIN. I couldn't even do the crossword puzzle. They handed him a participation ribbon and I'll never forget his response "I did all that work for that?"

Poor kid tied with someone who took some shots off of google and put it on some poster board.

Agreed. Ribbons for everyone sounds nice but it can tend to encourage mediocrity.

bbsam

Staff member
When kids start knowing what they are doing, participation trophies mean nothing. First place trophies mean nothing.

Went to a soccer tournament a couple months ago. Our boys lost 2 out of 3 games and finished 3rd of 4 teams in there bracket.

But...

The games they played were very, very well played. For the second year in a row our goalie had his "game of the year" against a team from Decatur Illinois. The last two times we played them we got killed 9-0 and 7-4. In the 7-4 game our goalie had 18 saves. This last time we played them we lost 0-1 in the final 2 minutes of the match. They didn't get a trophy or participation medal but damn they played well!

Then again, I've seen teams play down a level for "a competitive edge" and smoke every team they face. What a worthless trophy that is, IMHO.

Last edited:

clean hairy

My first car was one I found for $75. It was one at the Dealer I worked at and the Customer never paid the repair ticket on it, (I was in high school decades ago when I got this car)
My Parents asked if I had $75 to buy it. I had $95 in tha bank and bought the car.
The floorboards were rotten enough my feet got wet when going through any puddles on the road of any size.
It was a stick shift, and the battery went 2 weeks after i got it, and did not have the money for a new battery.
So, i had to always find a bit of an incline to park on, so I could let it roll some to get it started.
Never had a thought about asking the parents for money to buy a new battery. Sure, it was rough around the edges, but safe. I felt good I had a car of my own, and never asked the parents for any money to put into it.
I guess I am from a lost generation that appreciates what you have, even if it is not the newest and best, because you worked for it and own it.