UPS would not allow me to leave...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I think his unfamiliarity with the contract highlights he's not in and out of the grievance rooms. Probably means management is ok with his job performance. Most have a decent grasp of the basics, like we all do with American law... but in my experience, the ones most familiar with the contract are the stewards and those who file a lot of greviances.

It really didn't help your position to call names. Especially when the name is more fitting for those who don't think things through.

WOW!!! Canon, we ACTUALLY agree!!! lol. I'm not perfectly familiar with the contract because I'm not in trouble with management or filing grievances. Start filing unreasonable/excessive/borderline groundless grievances and you appear on the radar. In addition, repeated confrontation immediately brings unwanted attention to you. I don't hide in the shadows but I try to avoid arguing with my supervisors if I can avoid it. I do it so rarely, they usually listen to what I have to say, probably because they know there's a good chance I'm right.:thumbup1: -Rocky

hoser

Industrial Slob
grab a copy of the CBA, read it, and know it. then you wouldn't have to come on the forum and get 20 different opinions from 10 different people.

then when on the job, you can apply your rights at your leisure. i know that i don't have to work more than five hours and that i can refuse unsafe conditions (like piles of boxes).

How long have you been in America? Know the ins and outs of the legal system? Someone in and out of jail knowns exactly what offenses brings what jail time, how to manipulate the system, and what to do when arrested.

Me? I wouldn't even know my first step if I got a speeding ticket. I know I have to pay a fine, or go to driver school etc.. but not like a habitual speeder who has spent a fair number of days at the courthouse (do they need to go to the courthouse? just mail a check? i dunno).

I think his unfamiliarity with the contract highlights he's not in and out of the grievance rooms. Probably means management is ok with his job performance. Most have a decent grasp of the basics, like we all do with American law... but in my experience, the ones most familiar with the contract are the stewards and those who file a lot of greviances.

It really didn't help your position to call names. Especially when the name is more fitting for those who don't think things through.
I'm not a criminal, but I know my rights. I know that it is my right to request information/evidence that would cost the prosecutor $2000 to process, all for a $100 speeding ticket. I request that information because it's my right, it's my obligation to perform such an act of civil disobedience, and if the system can be exploited, it should be exploited.

I'm not a jackass at work, in fact, I want to go into becoming a supervisor. Do I know the CBA? Certainly. Doesn't mean I'm incompetent or lazy, it just means that I'm informed. You're right, majority of the people that know the game are criminals, but so do the lawyers, and bearing into mind my desire for promotion, the cops, as well :D

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I am not an expert on all contractual articles, excuse me.

The snow storm did end up closing the Ohio State University, but they did not cancel until 5 am the next morning. The homework is really beside the point anyhow and was not the focus of my question.

Me working longer is not helping my fellow brothers, it is helping the company, which I don't mind doing when I don't have other things going on in my life. I wasn't belly aching as you say, I was asking whether I was contractually obligated to stay after I had punched out. My fellow brothers could have made it in, just as I made it in. We just have very lazy "brothers".
Your studying IS the issue. This is a PART TIME JOB, your college is your 'career' right now. I don't mind staying for OT on a friday night, but on weeknights, if I know I'm going to pull 2 hours of OT and I have a midterm the next day, sorry, I'm out. I also refuse OT as sending a signal to management that I won't deal with that kind of crap. I sign up for 5 hours, I work 5 hours. If I get treated with respect, well, then that's a different story.

Your work ethic is great to see, and is actually refreshing to the crap I have to deal with. But never forget that a degree is more powerful than any reference from a PT supervisor ever could be.

Last edited:

canon

I'm not a criminal, but I know my rights. I know that it is my right to request information/evidence that would cost the prosecutor $2000 to process, all for a $100 speeding ticket. I request that information because it's my right, it's my obligation to perform such an act of civil disobedience, and if the system can be exploited, it should be exploited.

I'm not a jackass at work, in fact, I want to go into becoming a supervisor. Do I know the CBA? Certainly. Doesn't mean I'm incompetent or lazy, it just means that I'm informed. You're right, majority of the people that know the game are criminals, but so do the lawyers, and bearing into mind my desire for promotion, the cops, as well :D
We'll disagree about exploiting anything just because you can. If you were speeding (as in u know you're guilty therefore it becomes an integrity issue), it would be the most honorable route to pay the fine and prevent passing any additional cost to the taxpayers.

I also stated stewards, and never said the people who file a lot of greviances were lazy. The analogy spotlighted those involved the most with learning contractual issues. If most are like me, we show up on time, try to do the best we can and then go home without becoming involved in all the politics. I know most of my rights, but have put little effort into knowing all the minute deatails so that I can tell UPS what I am and am not going to do. Usually, those rights are learned as they come up or in hearing about someone else at work. I would say your knowledge comes more in the way of a steward or lawyer, via studying the contract. I have better things to do with my time considering I rarely need the contractual knowledge in day to day settings. That would change if I wanted to be a steward or decided I was going to file greviances on a regular basis... whoa.. de ja vu.

hoser said:
I also refuse OT as sending a signal to management that I won't deal with that kind of crap.
Congrats on your desire to become "a cop" in the form of a pt supervisor. I couldn't think of a more appropriate position for someone so dedicated to keeping those hours down and maintaining such a high degree of integrity. Keep us informed on how that works out for you. :thumbup1:

W

westsideworma

I also refuse OT as sending a signal to management that I won't deal with that kind of crap. I sign up for 5 hours, I work 5 hours. If I get treated with respect, well, then that's a different story.

you do realize the the reason for that OT crap is often poor planning by management (aside from weather conditions and Peak). I should say poor planning by management's management. Rushing people off the clock won't gain you any friends where it counts (your workers are responsible for how well your day goes like it or not). Besides the fact that you were a union worker and went management will cause your fellow brothers to think differently of you as it is.

I too am considering management, mostly because I want to go back to school and finish the second degree that I started and secondly I think supervisors should have experience in the operation...not be hired off the street. The rumor went around that I was interested in it (I didn't say anything to anyone...so someone above me let the cat out of the bag for me) and everyone is like NO DON'T DO IT and giving me the semi cold shoulder. I don't know if they're just teasing me or not, but in my opinion, if this place is to get better or whatnot the right people need to be promoted. I feel I am the right person for this. Actually I am waiting to take the MAPP test. I already know where I am likely to work should I accept the promotion. This is mainly a stepping stone (I hope) as there is a communications supervisor job that I want because it will use my degree. I have nothing against tossing boxes, but I didn't go to college for that. Once again, no insult intended to anyone who currently does so, I know its a tough job and I've been doing it for over two years as well so I definitely respect the hard work.

the only thing that is hangin me up is the fact that I may have to shave my goatee. I know that seems trivial but hey I like the damn thing and I am an inside worker and still would be even if a PT Supe. I am clean shaven other than that everyday (and it too is kept trimmed and neat lol) . I've seen people with mustaches so maybe that isn't so I dunno. Most places if you go into a position with some sort of facial hair you can keep it (I don't mean fuzz, I mean a goatee or mustache), but if you don't have any you can't have any after the promotion either. Besides my head is shaved, thats gotta count for something :wink:

However if the pay is a deal more than my current wage I may not worry about that even if I do have to get rid of it.

hoser

Industrial Slob
you do realize the the reason for that OT crap is often poor planning by management (aside from weather conditions and Peak). I should say poor planning by management's management. Rushing people off the clock won't gain you any friends where it counts (your workers are responsible for how well your day goes like it or not). Besides the fact that you were a union worker and went management will cause your fellow brothers to think differently of you as it is.

oh please, my "brothers" are fellow drunk-ass university students. the issue is converting them from friends to subordinates, not dealing with the inner strife and resentment of a fellow brother (who sacrificed so much, like working one day a month just to pay the dues!) "selling out" by engaging myself in a more challenging position.

We'll disagree about exploiting anything just because you can. If you were speeding (as in u know you're guilty therefore it becomes an integrity issue), it would be the most honorable route to pay the fine and prevent passing any additional cost to the taxpayers.
...or a dip out of fine revenues. Imagine what would happen if everyone plead not guilty to their speeding tickets...

trickpony1

but in my opinion, if this place is to get better or whatnot the right people need to be promoted. I feel I am the right person for this.

You may want to set your ego aside and look around before you make the decision to jump into management. You may find that any individual effort or influence you think you have will quickly be squashed by those above you. Survival will dictate that you become a "yes" man quickly and succumb to the status quo.
I wish you luck.

HazMatMan

Does Joopster still work for UPS ?? Yes?? I guess he didn't lose his job for abandonment.. If my shift is over, I clock out, then as i'm about to leave the building I am told I cannot leave then how is that job abandonment?? IF that is exactly how it happened.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Does Joopster still work for UPS ?? Yes?? I guess he didn't lose his job for abandonment.. If my shift is over, I clock out, then as i'm about to leave the building I am told I cannot leave then how is that job abandonment?? IF that is exactly how it happened.

Yup still here.