UPSer Noob

skipnstones

Hello all. I have just completed my second week and I have a few observations/questions.

I am a loader at a hub and so far I don't think the 5 rules of loading apply. When I start my shift I see walls that are complete crap and I see the more senior loaders tossing packages. I work like hell and still get backed up and they usually have to send someone in to help me get caught up. I've had a wall fall on me already and it felt like I was hit from behind by a 300 lb. linebacker! I think that was my fault because I wasn't keeping myself 30 to 40 degrees from my work (or whatever it is).

All in all it is a hard way to earn 8.50/hr., but the place is close and the hours fit into my full time job. I've also had worse jobs in my life. I know the first thing I want to do is get out of the trucks. I don't plan on making a career out of UPS but I do want to take advantage of the bennies for edumacational purposes.

Once I reach seniority, I want to be a PT supervisor, or trainer or something. It seems to me that there are A TON of supervisors for everything! So far so good. I'm hoping that week three is less painful than week two!

Cheers!:punk:

drewed

Shankman
5 rules to loading? thats new to me....

yea some people dont follow methods but you have to remember what your loading into is a moving object and things do shift.

skipnstones

Sorry, drewed. I think I meant to say the 5 loading methods. I got a ton of info in the Cornerstone traing and it all kind of blends together. All I do know is I need to load faster, better and more (according to the soop)!

drewed

Shankman
Sorry, drewed. I think I meant to say the 5 loading methods. I got a ton of info in the Cornerstone traing and it all kind of blends together. All I do know is I need to load faster, better and more (according to the soop)!

still new to me!:surprised:

im not too familar with cornerstone, we dont use it in the air dept
some of its ok

exp is where its at though, every load is different youlll see different patterns in different trailers and different days of the week and one day itll be like eureka and youll see the light out of darkness and itll all make sense

skipnstones

I hope so drewed. I must say that my first week loading kicked my :censored2:!! I want to know what the heavy days are so I can be prepared for said :censored2: kicking that night.

Like G.I. Joe says, "Knowing is half the battle."

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
still new to me!:surprised:

im not too familar with cornerstone, we dont use it in the air dept
some of its ok

exp is where its at though, every load is different youlll see different patterns in different trailers and different days of the week and one day itll be like eureka and youll see the light out of darkness and itll all make sense

Cornerstone is the training new hires go through before they start the actual job :happy-very:

DS

Fenderbender
Like G.I. Joe says, "Knowing is half the battle."
Ha... is that what he says?
Sgt Fury says ...keep movin' ya lunkheads...
Glad to have you abroad,as you get your edumacation.
Just find a safe steady pace and do the same every day no matter how busy it gets.

skipnstones

Ha... is that what he says?
Sgt Fury says ...keep movin' ya lunkheads...
Glad to have you abroad,as you get your edumacation.
Just find a safe steady pace and do the same every day no matter how busy it gets.

I guess Sgt. Fury would be my soop. He says about the same minus the lunkhead part. Then there is the guy that sends the packages down my roller (sorry I don't have the terminology down yet). If it gets backed up just a little bit he starts yelling at me. I tried explaining to him that I was new and would try harder and he didn't even acknowledge me! I have made it my point to make this dude smile or laugh. Oh yeah, and I'm gonna try to keep the boxes from getting backed up.

Cementups

Box Monkey
What 'burg are you in? Just ignore the co-workers yelling at you. Allot of them just like to talk. I'm one of them.

I would not recommend being a PT sup unless you plan on not having your hair attached to your scalp.

skipnstones

What 'burg are you in? Just ignore the co-workers yelling at you. Allot of them just like to talk. I'm one of them.

I would not recommend being a PT sup unless you plan on not having your hair attached to your scalp.

That would be the Harrisburg. I don't let him get to me. I'm pretty thick skinned. What kind of scalpings could I expect?

I would love to get into the maintenance dept. because I love troubleshooting problems on machinery. I can weld, have knowledge in hydraulics, electric, cooling systems, etc. I just don't have a piece of paper that says so, hence me going back to school for industrial technician. I don't know if they hire PTr's in that dept.

Either way, I want to succeed and make some money so I can move on from my current place in life. If that is at the big brown meat grinder, so be it. If it's somewhere else then that's OK too.

Cementups

Box Monkey
There's good money to be made at the Meat Grinder. I don't think they hire the maintenance guys as PT, but stop one of them sometime and ask. Most of them are pretty nice guys. If they know you have some knowledge in it, then they may be able to train you to do the job they want you to do the job. Never hurts to ask. I do know that most of hte maintenance guys have been in the Hbg HUB for a whlie now and I don't think it has a very big turnover rate.

good Luck.