UPSers. Your Stories From September 11, 2001 Attack On The USA!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In 2001 I worked in NYC and my office was at 129 Nassau st which is two blocks from the World Trade Center complex. I was normally at my desk at 8 every morning but had a meeting in Long Island that morning and decided to drive straight to Long Island instead of leaving from my office. I was approaching the Varrazano bridge when the second plane hit and I saw the explosion. It was a scary moment as I had no clue what was happening as I was listening to a cd and not the radio, I put the radio on and the first word I heard was terrorism and that they were closing all bridges. I drove about 110 miles an hour back across the Gothels bridge and looked back and all you could see was smoke in the sky. I lost some friends that day

I'm sorry for your loss Scotty.

[SIZE=+1]A Prayer for USA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]David Cohen
[/SIZE]

I pray for the survivors of the attack on September 11, 2001.

I pray for the families who have lost loved ones.
I pray for the rescue workers and police on the scene.
I pray for the doctors and nurses caring for the hurting.
I pray for the reporters who work through intense emotion to bring us the pictures and news of the day.
I pray for the President and other elected leaders who so desperately need wisdom from beyond themselves.
I pray for the pastors in Washington and New York who care first-hand for the spiritual needs of those who have experienced this great tragedy.
I pray for the military and intelligence agencies who seek to find out who would do this so they might be brought to justice.
I pray for our nation -- that this event will bring us together and turn our thoughts toward helping each other to fight and VANISH the terrorism out of the world.
I pray for all those who might be tempted to think that violence accomplishes anything of lasting value. We've seen too much of it in the recent years.
Lastly, I pray for every peace lover in this world.
May God break the cycle of violence to make a difference for His Peace and Grace in this sinful world.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.

bbsam

Staff member
You have never served in the military and should leave the discussion on this particular topic to those who have.

Just a bit of friendly advice, but I think you may have dropped the ball on this one. We were all attacked on September 11, 2001 and have been and will be spending our blood and money for years to come. Sadly, we leave the fighting to very few in the country and hopefully more conversation will either end the fighting or get the entire nation fully invested. The time to "go shopping" has ended.

LOL. You certainly miss no opportunity to pile on, do you?

Tad disrespectful of the lady so I saw fit to question Captain America about his tour of duty. I give him respect for serving his country but the motor pool doesn't have quite the chest puff as say a Navy Seal or Army Ranger does it?

(Read in John Waynes voice) "Listen here little lady. Unless you've smashed a fingernail changing a spark plug you better keep that purty mouth shut."

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I was at the ice rink, planning on spending the day playing hockey and lifting weights. I was in the skate shop talking with a friend of mine when he got a call from someone in the building. He changed the channel on the T.V to the news. Smoke was flowing out of one the towers. We started talking that this might just be a terrorist attack. Just as we had noted this the next plane came in and hit the other tower. I automatically said, " we are going to war, sooner or later ".

I saw so many people crying and leaving the building. It brought people to their knees and obviously made people feel sick. No planes in the sky for days.

A few weeks later, I had a conversation with my father about the trip he was planning. Didnt realizing the destination was to be New York. He was originally from Brooklyn, and he wanted to take us up there to see family and tour the big apple. I didnt really want to go, hearing all the stories of how rude, brash and populated New York is, just isnt my speed. So he was planning on taking my brother along. The date they were to land in New York was September 8, 2001.

The plans fell through and they didnt end up going.

It took me a few weeks, and the conversation to bring this to my attention. But my father and brother could've been right in the middle of the whole event. Whenever it be on the plane, or near ground zero. I even recall my father speaking about being at the WTC either September 9, 10 or 11 taking a tour, if they did that there, I have no idea. I still think of this conversation today, and it always brings me the shivers.

One person within the framework of the US military cannot change a thing. It is only as a group can we hope to effect change.
Dave, every group is made up of individuals, each are "just one". Texan may not have been able to go fight on the front lines, may not even make a difference in the out come of any particular operation. But, what about that one person that he could have released from an office job to save the life of a fellow soldier? That was make a huge difference to man that was saved.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dave, every group is made up of individuals, each are "just one". Texan may not have been able to go fight on the front lines, may not even make a difference in the out come of any particular operation. But, what about that one person that he could have released from an office job to save the life of a fellow soldier? That was make a huge difference to man that was saved.
​Trp, I love your signature line!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I made a point of thanking Texan for his patriotism. He would be the first to tell you that everything in the military is done as a team and that no one member is greater than the team.

cach, you are right---the closest I ever got to the front lines was when I did perimeter security on a C-141 crash site in Sicily.

The point I was trying to make was that Texan would not have been able to sign out a M-16 and ammo and hop on the next transport to Iraq.

Overpaid Union Thug

I live pretty close to an Army base so things were pretty weird around here for a while. Too much to type really. What really amazed me was that most of the SF (Special Forces) guys disappeared from the public eye within days. Some sooner.