Using DEX 010 ~ inspection required

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
On 2 separate occasions I had big boxes of bloody frozen wild turkey hides shipped by Charlie Redneck and Billy Joe Sixpack good ol boys from down Old Fart way. By the time I got there they were thawing out , stinking beyond description with blood running under the bulk head door and down the door steps, dripping onto the floor.
Another time I had a bed designed for an invalid/handicapped person . They claimed that it weighed the magical 149lbs...yea right. it was clearly damaged beyond repair but I was told to attempt to deliver . Dragged it off the truck down through the snow to the guys house showed him what was wrong and of course he refused it. What does the terminal do? Of course they would try to bandage it up make it look different and ordered me to go through the same process again. Again the guy simply wasn't going to have X force a now useless piece of junk onto him.
There are simply no limits to how far ground will go to get out of having to pay a claim.

These a just two of the countless examples of the profound difference in the quality of the daily work experience between an Express letter carrier
and the human Towmotor known as the Ground delivery driver.
I used my brain, and required the recipient to accompany me to my truck to inspect this type of shipment.
Refused? No problem, until I get back to the station. Then I get someone to assist.

It's not rocket science, people.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Lol, this is a ground discussion, not express

No on time deliveries. If it's damaged, it's getting sent back

Undeliverable Shipments

An undeliverable shipment is one that cannot be delivered for reasons that include, but are not limited to, any of the following:
  • The shipment's contents or packaging are damaged to the point that rewrapping is not possible.

Shipments will be returned via FedEx Ground service at no additional charge if the shipment is undeliverable because of damage to the shipment caused by FedEx.

Our money-back guarantee policy does not apply to undeliverable or returned shipments.

From your FedEx link... they can't force me to deliver damaged items to the final destination.

With Wal-Mart deliveries, though, they will salvage whatever isn't broken & repack that to be sent out

bacha29

I used my brain, and required the recipient to accompany me to my truck to inspect this type of shipment.
Refused? No problem, until I get back to the station. Then I get someone to assist.

It's not rocket science, people.
Wild animal blood is considered to be hazardous substance and those hides still had some blood in them. . This shipper had sent a couple of other shipments out the same day to other locations and XG was all over the guy. Just think of the possibilities.....Rabies, CWD, West Nile, ticks etc etc. There's simply no comparison between Express and Ground especially in recent years with the kind of business Ground is signing up. The heavier it weighs the more money they make and that's why contractors will not too far in the future have to keep straight trucks with hydraulic tail gates and two men in the truck around in order to safely move that stuff around.
That in turn
makes you wonder what kind of stuff ADP's will have to try to haul and move with those little panel vans.

OrioN

No wonder you are so jaded... your terminal management are a bunch of a holes. My qa clerks agreed that this box should be rts from that ground terminal.

As far as Amazon's panel vans, I'm sure they'll pass the iregs to FedEx and UPS still.

I'm still seeing about 10 Amazon boxes per 100 in my pile

It will be fine

No wonder you are so jaded... your terminal management are a bunch of a holes. My qa clerks agreed that this box should be rts from that ground terminal.

As far as Amazon's panel vans, I'm sure they'll pass the iregs to FedEx and UPS still.

I'm still seeing about 10 Amazon boxes per 100 in my pile
QA at my terminals would just put tape over the hole and send it out.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Otherwise, just quote Policy. I've refused overweight (175#) and won. I've refused Radioactive in drums with dented chimes, and won. But I've had to take out shattered glass, shredded fabric, even empty boxes... because it's not our right to decide for the recipient what is or is not acceptable.

Some business recipients always want packages delivered, even if damaged, because they have a procedure to deal with damaged product.

Some small stations will call the recip, describe the issue with the package, and ask them if they want an attempt.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Wild animal blood is considered to be hazardous substance and those hides still had some blood in them. . This shipper had sent a couple of other shipments out the same day to other locations and XG was all over the guy. Just think of the possibilities.....Rabies, CWD, West Nile, ticks etc etc. There's simply no comparison between Express and Ground especially in recent years with the kind of business Ground is signing up. The heavier it weighs the more money they make and that's why contractors will not too far in the future have to keep straight trucks with hydraulic tail gates and two men in the truck around in order to safely move that stuff around.
That in turn
makes you wonder what kind of stuff ADP's will have to try to haul and move with those little panel vans.
In my earlier days, I was unloading cans, when we all gagged at the odor from a J-can. Found a RAW 10-point rack from a buck with blood and maggots dripping from the root end.

Come to think of it, that was another delivery that didn't go out on a FedEx truck.

FedGT

My old terminal would instantly bring it back and a TM would say put some tape on it and take it. If I 10’d it they would instantly change it to a 27 and have a talk to me about it. Also they would charge me for it if a customer complained that the driver damaged the package.
I bitched about it the first time and they said they wouldn’t charge me for something like that again..........guess what happened the next time, yep charged again so after that I told all QA and management they could blow me and rebox it before I took it out. They always did after that.
Long story short most Ground terminals are not okay with a 10, And most contractors aren’t okay with a 27 that it got changed to.

Oldfart

Some business recipients always want packages delivered, even if damaged, because they have a procedure to deal with damaged product.

Some small stations will call the recip, describe the issue with the package, and ask them if they want an attempt.
Do you actually believe this or what? What does the size of the station have to do with how damages are handled? You really don't have any idea about station operations do you? You can't make a blanket statement about how stations handle damages. Please don't quote policy.

bbsam

Staff member
My old terminal would instantly bring it back and a TM would say put some tape on it and take it. If I 10’d it they would instantly change it to a 27 and have a talk to me about it. Also they would charge me for it if a customer complained that the driver damaged the package.
I bitched about it the first time and they said they wouldn’t charge me for something like that again..........guess what happened the next time, yep charged again so after that I told all QA and management they could blow me and rebox it before I took it out. They always did after that.
Long story short most Ground terminals are not okay with a 10, And most contractors aren’t okay with a 27 that it got changed to.
I’ve had the same run around. Even told them they could keep hitting me with a 27 every single day. They really start getting nervous when you talk “scanner integrity” with contractor relations after the change status codes.

FedGT

I’ve had the same run around. Even told them they could keep hitting me with a 27 every single day. They really start getting nervous when you talk “scanner integrity” with contractor relations after the change status codes.
I wish ours would have. Our contractor relations didn’t even try to not show they were 100% company men. I liked the guy for the most part but he had a big mouth when someone was trying to sell letting other know and also didn’t ever do much of anything to help a contractor. We had many lost jobs for “scanner integrity” but I brought up their integrity multiple times to pretty much be questioned to “what are you going to do about it”?
Only went above TMs head once to contractor relations but next day I was called into the office telling me not to do it again.......good system

bbsam

Staff member
I wish ours would have. Our contractor relations didn’t even try to not show they were 100% company men. I liked the guy for the most part but he had a big mouth when someone was trying to sell letting other know and also didn’t ever do much of anything to help a contractor.
Definitely have to press them hard. Blow up their phone 4 or 5 times a week. Generally let them know it’s not just going away.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Chewy gets angry when damaged boxes get delivered (leaking pet food, kitty litter, etc).

Maybe if Chewy would stop loading 100lbs of dog food and 80lbs of cat litter into the boxes, they wouldn't have that problem. I hate them almost as much as I hate Wayfair, PB, and Amazon.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
From your FedEx link... they can't force me to deliver damaged items to the final destination.

With Wal-Mart deliveries, though, they will salvage whatever isn't broken & repack that to be sent out
  • The shipment's contents or packaging are damaged to the point that rewrapping is not possible.

Shipments will be returned via FedEx Ground service at no additional charge if the shipment is undeliverable because of damage to the shipment caused by FedEx.

Catch-22. It has to be re-wrapped to return to sender, therefore eliminating your escape clause.

OrioN

Nope, you read that wrong.

they slap a piece of cardboard over the hole and shipped it back to Wal-Mart...

Your express ops are a different matter, since it's time sensitive.

I'm the last person of the delivery chain so I maintain my service to the customers higher than the lowly ground driver that gets peanuts as their salary

Last edited:

OrioN

You talking about those white plastic bags? If you are, those actually seem to hold up better.

I've seen those plastic white bags...usually when the dog food are in paper sacks.

sucks that I can't stack stuff on top of them though, which is why I think they cram them in boxes.

Easier to make walls in a trailer and stack em up to four-high... then use lighter boxes to top-load & finish the wall.