Using DEX 010 ~ inspection required

CJinx

• The shipment's contents or packaging are damaged to the point that rewrapping is not possible.
Shipments will be returned via FedEx Ground service at no additional charge if the shipment is undeliverable because of damage to the shipment caused by FedEx.

Catch-22. It has to be re-wrapped to return to sender, therefore eliminating your escape clause.
In the case of the photo in the first post; if the item itself was damaged (scratched up, bent, etc) a damaged package report would be completed and the box would be patched up, then usually returned to the shipper. Some shippers have dispositions on file to deliver regardless of damage, remove damaged contents and deliver the balance, or scrap the shipment entirely.

Otherwise it would be patched up, an inspection sticker placed near the shipping label, and sent back out for delivery.

I should also add that this is how it should be handled; your mileage may vary based on the temperament of your station's personnel.

Last edited:

CJinx

Wal-Mart is a major one that I noticed
Wal-Mart and Sam's Club seem to be in the process of switching to 'remove damaged product; deliver balance' instead of simply RTS. It is hit or miss because they have hundreds of shipper account numbers.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yup I like how the detergent leaks all over the other items in a box... lately, though, I've seen them isolate the liquids in clear bags before packing them in with dry items

Jinx, u home delivery? Day off on a Monday... finally caught up with the volume

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Do you actually believe this or what? What does the size of the station have to do with how damages are handled? You really don't have any idea about station operations do you? You can't make a blanket statement about how stations handle damages.

I didn't make a blanket statement.

Please don't quote policy.

I didn't quote policy.

That third grade reading comprehension isn't doing you much good.

Oldfart

I didn't make a blanket statement.

I didn't quote policy.

That third grade reading comprehension isn't doing you much good.
You mentioned smaller stations called to see what they wanted done with damaged packages. Why do you THINK only small stations call about damaged packages? Well for 1 thing, we realized a long time ago you have very little knowledge of station operations. That has been proven over and over.

I posted for you not to quote policy. You like to quote policy when your personal knowledge fails you. Anyone living in reality knows policy and reality are 2 different animals.

The company ran you off 3 or 4 months ago yet you continue to hang around this forum. Very sad.

Last edited:

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I'm guessing UPS will not accept a shipment without some sort of outer packaging.
Considering some of the crap we get into our "parcel" system, like canoes, auto parts, train etd's, buckets of steer spum, and whatever else, I think we would take bags of food if we could make three cents. I'm sure now that I have discussed it and noted that it has not passed my way, I will get 15 bags of the stuff now.

dvalleyjim

QA doesn't want to repack this stuff. They'll put tape over the hole. Most of them are MIA and smoking in the parking lot. If it comes to my truck and I can load it without it spilling all over the place, and I think I can get it to the front door and escape before anyone catches me... it's driver released!

59 Dano

You mentioned smaller stations called to see what they wanted done with damaged packages. Why do you THINK only small stations call about damaged packages? Well for 1 thing, we realized a long time ago you have very little knowledge of station operations. That has been proven over and over.

I mentioned that some smaller stations make those calls. I didn't say that "only" small stations call about packages, and I don't know if or why other stations make similar calls. Don't know why you have such a tough time grasping this.

I posted for you not to quote policy. You like to quote policy when your personal knowledge fails you. Anyone living in reality knows policy and reality are 2 different animals.

I like to quote policy when I want to say what the policy is.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Oldfart

I mentioned that some smaller stations make those calls. I didn't say that "only" small stations call about packages, and I don't know if or why other stations make similar calls. Don't know why you have such a tough time grasping this.

I like to quote policy when I want to say what the policy is.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing.
A person quoting policy for a company he no longer works at. That is very strange.

CJinx

There is no policy governing calling customers regarding damaged packages. If smaller stations are doing it, I imagine they are trying to cut down on the number of damage claims filed by smoothing the customer over into accepting it. Smaller stations handle fewer packages (thanks captain obvious!), so their metrics are that much tighter as well.

I may call or just override the disposition to deliver regardless if the package is clearly a personal shipment (water damaged photo albums, picture frames with broken glass (remove the glass first!), etc). No policy telling me to do so but it's just good customer service.

59 Dano

There is no policy governing calling customers regarding damaged packages. If smaller stations are doing it, I imagine they are trying to cut down on the number of damage claims filed by smoothing the customer over into accepting it. Smaller stations handle fewer packages (thanks captain obvious!), so their metrics are that much tighter as well.

I may call or just override the disposition to deliver regardless if the package is clearly a personal shipment (water damaged photo albums, picture frames with broken glass (remove the glass first!), etc). No policy telling me to do so but it's just good customer service.

The stations referenced in my post were typically in smaller markets and it was seen as a courteous thing to do, much like the way you view it. It wasn't unusual to hear that a call was placed because "Joe recipient thinks the world of Sam the courier and would hate to have him drive all the way out there only to refuse the package." Ideally, FedEx or the intended recipient would call the shipper and arrange for a replacement to be sent. If the call was early enough in the day then the replacement would be sent out that same day. I think it's courteous and can be very efficient in certain situations.

Oldfart

The stations referenced in my post were typically in smaller markets and it was seen as a courteous thing to do, much like the way you view it. It wasn't unusual to hear that a call was placed because "Joe recipient thinks the world of Sam the courier and would hate to have him drive all the way out there only to refuse the package." Ideally, FedEx or the intended recipient would call the shipper and arrange for a replacement to be sent. If the call was early enough in the day then the replacement would be sent out that same day. I think it's courteous and can be very efficient in certain situations.
Nice explanation. Too bad you didnt have the same logic when you got all confused about Emery and Airborne. LOL. Totally lost on that subject. BUMMER

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well while it can, reality comes a' callin' and most recipients aren't even gonna think of saving a courier a trip nor are service agents gonna call a shipper unless some customer is really yelling and cursing.