usps rural mail count

junkpoet

ok. pardon me if i should not be on here. i am not a ups worker. i am a usps rural mail carrier. i am appealing to you guys and gals as fellow union workers.
we are doing mail count right now...two week evaluation of our route volume and miles etc...it determines a rural carrier's pay. prior to count, i was averaging 150-200 packages a day. during the count (past 7 days) I am averaging 60/day. This is less than half. Where did they go? management has many tricks they use to decrease mail volume. they "accidentally" send mail to the wrong office...hide junk mail, discourage companies from sending ads during count...push a lot out before count and hold as much as they can until after. but how are they decreasing the package/parcel count? are you guys getting more? we often carry some of your packages and i havent been seeing them. fed ex or dhl either. today i had 44 packages. this is b.s. any ideas?

oldngray

nowhere special
Are you a USPS employee? They get paid by the hour, not by the piece. The Post Office will play games with junk mail during time studies but that is another issue and doesn't direct affect pay rate.

Are you a USPS employee? They get paid by the hour, not by the piece. The Post Office will play games with junk mail during time studies but that is another issue and doesn't direct affect pay rate.
Rural route carriers get paid by the pieces and time allowance in some rural areas and they are union.

ok. pardon me if i should not be on here. i am not a ups worker. i am a usps rural mail carrier. i am appealing to you guys and gals as fellow union workers.
we are doing mail count right now...two week evaluation of our route volume and miles etc...it determines a rural carrier's pay. prior to count, i was averaging 150-200 packages a day. during the count (past 7 days) I am averaging 60/day. This is less than half. Where did they go? management has many tricks they use to decrease mail volume. they "accidentally" send mail to the wrong office...hide junk mail, discourage companies from sending ads during count...push a lot out before count and hold as much as they can until after. but how are they decreasing the package/parcel count? are you guys getting more? we often carry some of your packages and i havent been seeing them. fed ex or dhl either. today i had 44 packages. this is b.s. any ideas?
I would call your business agent and run this by him/her. Ups also can manipulate volume.

junkpoet

us rural carriers are paid by route evaluation...not hourly. city carriers are paid by the hour

So they are contract employees and not USPS.
Some might be as other areas very but the ones I've come in contact with are all union. The rural areas get kind of screwed but they have the security of a government job with a stable pension and benefits. The rural carriers for the most part are paid on a time study basis. I know not very union of them.

i called a state steward. just wondering if you guys noticed any difference in your volume the past week or so.
We see volume fluctuations where I'm at Tuesday's through Friday's. Monday loads get held back in hubs like Cach. This helps ups cut routes down to bare bones on Monday to service pickups. Gotta love Wall Street.

10 point

i called a state steward. just wondering if you guys noticed any difference in your volume the past week or so.
The rural carriers on my route have been going through evaluation and I have seen no surepost volume change in what we drop at the po (on my area) and there's been no extra "proximity" stops (not that we get many now) added to my delivery area that would show UPS canabolizing your system to help out the po.

rod

Retired 22 years
As far as I know the rural carrier routes around here are all put out for bid to independent workers about every 5 years or so. Whoever says they can deliver a certain route for the least amount of money gets it. Next time I talk to my mail lady I will ask.

As far as I know the rural carrier routes around here are all put out for bid to independent workers about every 5 years or so. Whoever says they can deliver a certain route for the least amount of money gets it. Next time I talk to my mail lady I will ask.
I deliver to my mail lady on my route. We both get a good chuckle out of it.

onehandsolo

I deliver to small post office, they have 4 carriers. The sure post has been heavier than normal and the carriers told me they have been heavy. As a matter fact they did not run any of there smart or sure post deliveries yesterday.