Vacation pay question...

Sandydog

Why do we receive vacation pay 2 weeks in advance? Wouldn't it be better to just issue payment weekly with no interruption? What is the thought of advance payment? So people could use that money for vacation? Then if that is a yes, then they will fall short the returning week. If they require that money in advance? then they will surely be short the week after returning to work. I would think issuing a weekly none interrupted weekly pay check would be much easier in a long run.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Why do we receive vacation pay 2 weeks in advance? Wouldn't it be better to just issue payment weekly with no interruption? What is the thought of advance payment? So people could use that money for vacation? Then if that is a yes, then they will fall short the returning week. If they require that money in advance? then they will surely be short the week after returning to work. I would think issuing a weekly none interrupted weekly pay check would be much easier in a long run.
I’m guessing you fell short the week after vacation Steve-O?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Put the entire check in to your savings account. Then, the Friday after your vacation, transfer it back into checking. It'll be like the vacation never even happened.

Sandydog

No... Didn't fall short... Simply went to bank and made a withdrawal..... Just figured there must be a reason why they do it this way. UPS normally doesn't do anything unless it benefits them in a positive way, one way
or the other.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Why do we receive vacation pay 2 weeks in advance?

It's a contractual requirement to provide it before you leave for vacation.

"All employees must receive their vacation pay in a separate check before taking vacation. Vacation checks for an employee, who is taking a properly scheduled vacation in accordance with the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum, will be at the operating center on Monday of the week prior to the employee’s vacation week(s). This is to ensure that the employee receives his/her pay prior to taking his/her vacation. The employee will be shown his/ her check upon request, but will not receive the check until the regular scheduled pay day."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

UPS provides it 2 weeks in advance to avoid penalties, in case of any payroll

or accounting errors that would have to be rectified before your vacation leave.

-Bug-

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
for years it was only on week in advance. problem was the many screwups with payroll and guys not getting there check before they go away. they switched it to two weeks maybe 5 years ago to give them a extra week to correct

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
No... Didn't fall short... Simply went to bank and made a withdrawal..... Just figured there must be a reason why they do it this way. UPS normally doesn't do anything unless it benefits them in a positive way, one way
or the other.
It’s always been that way. It was one week in advance when I started then they moved it to two about five years ago. Are you new?