Vacation pay question

Steamer

I have been a RPCD for 1+ years now. My vacation pay was showing 50 hours of vacation and 50 hours optional just last week online at upsers.com. Now it says 0 hours for both. I am going on vacation starting in 3 weeks; taking both the vacation and optional time off. Do they pull the hours this early for the advance payment?

JustDeliverIt

I have been a RPCD for 1+ years now. My vacation pay was showing 50 hours of vacation and 50 hours optional just last week online at upsers.com. Now it says 0 hours for both. I am going on vacation starting in 3 weeks; taking both the vacation and optional time off. Do they pull the hours this early for the advance payment?

You get paid for it the Friday before your final week of work. Basically, 3 weeks before you should be paid for the week of work. Not 100% sure why they do it this way, just always been done this way.

You get paid for it the Friday before your final week of work. Basically, 3 weeks before you should be paid for the week of work. Not 100% sure why they do it this way, just always been done this way.
Because back in the day of paper checks, it wasn't cool to make someone come in go get their check while on vacation. And you can pay your bills in advance if you're out of touch with society.

Big Rigger

It was probably donated to the United Way drive.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
No romance...

Without finance.

Helping.
index.jpg

JustDeliverIt

Because back in the day of paper checks, it wasn't cool to make someone come in go get their check while on vacation. And you can pay your bills in advance if you're out of touch with society.
I guess, but I would think that you do it then the Friday before you have vacation. Not 2 Fridays ahead of time. Whatever, not really a big deal but always thought it was weird. I just stick it in savings and “pay” myself the week I would normally get it.

AKCoverMan

I guess, but I would think that you do it then the Friday before you have vacation. Not 2 Fridays ahead of time. Whatever, not really a big deal but always thought it was weird. I just stick it in savings and “pay” myself the week I would normally get it.
Exactly. By contract it’s due no later than the Friday before vacation but usually they do it week early probably make sure they don’t miss deadline because there are penalties involved if late.
I know in this day and age of electronic direct deposit it doesn’t make sense but think about days when lot of people got their paper pay checks and turned them into cash every Friday. This “pay vacation early” thing is a holdover from the past.

Sidebar: any FT who had vacation first or second week in August and had vacation pay issued prior to Aug 1 you probably got paid at the wrong rate. My sweetie and I (both regular full time drivers post progression) didn’t get the 90c GWI and the 33c COLA for our week for vacation this week. Yet another “payroll inquiry” is born.

Steamer

They sent the direct deposits to my account Friday. I thought it was just unusual to remove the hours two weeks before the checks were issued. Now I know it's the normal routine more than likely.