Vacation picks

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
See Upstate, there is a reason we were born with two ears and one tongue. That's because if you're doing it right, there is always twice as much to learn than there is to say. A concept lost on a know it all.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree, and my point is the same as it always is. This forum is a terribled place to solicite contractual advice. Contact your LOCAL union officials and have them show you the applicable language. I contend that upstate is wrong, like many others, for assuming they know the answer when they don't have enough information. Hell, even within my building in the morning, ask 5 guys a contract question and your're liable to get 5 different answers. Ask the people who are paid to know, and even then, have them show you the language.

If there is no language, then what does the union show him/her? The door.

50/50 chance? No way. It's basically clad that there are seperate lists for inside FT/PT inside, FT driver, feeder, TCD, etc...

It is not in our contract, that's just the way it is. No steward or BA can show anyone language, it is just how it's done.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If there is no language, then what does the union show him/her? The door.

50/50 chance? No way. It's basically clad that there are seperate lists for inside FT/PT inside, FT driver, feeder, TCD, etc...
It is not in our contract, that's just the way it is. No steward or BA can show anyone language, it is just how it's done.
What?
Not sure what that rant was about.
Sleeve meet heart?
More like *****************.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 705 your driver vacation pick is based on your full time seniority date. 20 years in driving and haven`t seen a June,July,August vacation since leaving package car. Deal with it.

NHDRVR

Im a full time package car driver in the North Jersey district.
I started preload in 1999.
Started as a cover driver 2005.
Went full time with my own route in 2007.

What senority/hire date should management be using for my vacation pick? Currently they are using my 2007 date.
I have not had a summer vacation yet since 2005 and Im starting to get pissed. Especially hearing that they might be using the wrong senority list.

Thanks guys.

We use hire date up here...

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In our area, PT seniority date is hire date. FT from the street seniority date is hire date. FT from PT gets 2 dates. First one, hire date, is used for eligigibility for number of weeks and anniversary holiday. Second one is an agreed upon combination date between hire date and FT seniority date of the FT seniority year. Say you were hired pt on 01/01/2000 and went FT on 07/07/2007. You would get a combo date like 03/15/2007. Confusing? Yes! It seems to be different everywhere.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What?
Not sure what that rant was about.
Sleeve meet heart?
More like *****************.

I am saying , here in the northeast, there is no language on how many lists, or etc. It's always been done outside the contract.

what region are you working in? Where is it in your supplement regarding how many lists are maintained by center or buildling?

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Down here, we bid in our classification- All feeder drivers have a list, all PC drivers have a list, PT local sort have a list, so on and on.....However, we are awarded our vacations on our hire date, and we bid our vacations by our hire date. Now when we bid on runs, you have to use the Full time hire date for that. I am 2nd in company time in feeders, but 3rd on the full time list... So when Vacations time comes up, I bid second, but on the biaunnal bid for feeder runs, I bid third. The guy that is 2nd in full time service bids 4th in vacations, because the coverage driver has more company time then he does.
I really wish they would do everything by hire date- since that is the date that means the most-ie your vacations and retirement plans

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here we use our FT seniority date for both the number of weeks and for selection. I have seniority over several drivers who were hired before me, as I was an off-the-street hire, and get to choose my vacations before them.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Here we use our FT seniority date for both the number of weeks and for selection. I have seniority over several drivers who were hired before me, as I was an off-the-street hire, and get to choose my vacations before them.
I think you are partially correct. Your full-time date determines when you get to select your vacation in relation to the other drivers. If you had a part-time seniority date, that is what is used to determine the number of weeks you get. I know you were not part-time originally, but there are others that work with you that were. In YOUR case, your full-time date covers everything. For OTHER people that work with you, that may not be the case.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think you are partially correct. Your full-time date determines when you get to select your vacation in relation to the other drivers. If you had a part-time seniority date, that is what is used to determine the number of weeks you get. I know you were not part-time originally, but there are others that work with you that were. In YOUR case, your full-time date covers everything. For OTHER people that work with you, that may not be the case.

This is how it works in our Center. As an off the street hire also, I have people below me on the Drivers Senoirity list that have more vacation time then me but I pick before them.

P

pickup

You should have written "and get to choose my vacation before they.". Or you could have phrased it differently so that you could have been grammatically correct and still not have ruffled anyone's sensibilities by phrasing it this way ".... and get to choose my vacation before they do.". But to use an pronoun that is an indirect object is wrong.

Okay that was payback for me in retaliation for a post that you seemingly corrected a few weeks ago. The last time I corrected you was payback for Rod.

If you have absorbed the lesson and if you become a substitute school teacher, then I will have eventually helped hundreds of students in bettering their writing and speaking skills. One day you will thank me, young man.

P

pickup

Darn it! , someone pm'd me and told me that I typed "an pronoun" when I should have typed "a prounoun". Horror ran through my spine as I realized that I missed the edit deadline(barely). Oh well, in my defense, all I can say is that I did some pre-post editing and moved a few things around in that sentence and didn't manage to catch that.

Oh well, thank you anonymous person for trying to help me out.

Today, I also put on a new adaptor that connects my monitor to my computer and while the resolution is much better, the letters that I see seem to be smaller. Also, I am on a new bid which has a much different start time than I have been accustomed to. Too many things to adjust to.

NHDRVR

So there is only one vacation list for the whole center?

(sorry, I'm a few days late in this...)

Yeah, we use a master list for the center, and #1 gets his 7-8 weeks, #2 follows, then you get down to #100. I can't remember the number of drivers we have in the center but the last 30-40 have a hard time getting a summer vacation. We all went through it. I take the entire month of July off and my other 2 weeks sometime in the winter. If you ever take a couple in a row you usually will do it for the rest of your career.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
(sorry, I'm a few days late in this...)

Yeah, we use a master list for the center, and #1 gets his 7-8 weeks, #2 follows, then you get down to #100. I can't remember the number of drivers we have in the center but the last 30-40 have a hard time getting a summer vacation. We all went through it. I take the entire month of July off and my other 2 weeks sometime in the winter. If you ever take a couple in a row you usually will do it for the rest of your career.
At least part of Mass is the same way. Big B's ctr has a master list for everyone. Here, ours are a little different. We don't have one seniority list. The drivers have there own seniority. Preload is seperate. 22.3 is seperate. etc.

As far as bidding, we have the same problem getting summer vacations. I am fairly low and I rarely get any time during the summer.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Cant find anything in master agreement or local supplement for the following situation: PM air driver vacation schedule consists of 2 part-timers (highest part-time seniority is 1991); and 3 22.3 airdriver/insiders (highest part time seniority is 1987 with full-time seniority of 1995).

We can't have 2 schedules because air runs must be covered and only 1 can be out a week.

I think the selection order should go by part-time seniority, regardless of part or fulltime.

Can someone give me some information on this situation???

705red

Browncafe Steward
Are the 22.3 drivers home centers the Air job? If not than the part timers pick seperate and you will have to cover the air routes with package car drivers if 2 get the same week off.

Full time seniority over rides part time seniority.