Vacation/weekly bid

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
We have some weird drivers that like to come in a few days and work while they are on vacation, don’t ask me why I think that’s stupid. My question is if I sign the weekly bid to run a said route for that while and the driver decides to come work a few days who has the right over the route? Thanks in advance friends

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our district no longer lets drivers work their vacations.

To your question----yes, you should be allowed to run the route that you bid and the driver who was supposed to be on vacation should be put on an unassigned route. That is what should happen----what will happen is he will run his route and you will be put on an unassigned route. Sucks but that's they way it goes.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Should never be able to work your vacation
Absolutely right! Think of the guys who might have wanted a certain time but couldn't get it because it was already full. Then come to work to see JoeDickhead working when he was supposed to be off. We have had guys lose their anniversary time, kid's graduations, weddings, and other big events.

542thruNthru

We have some weird drivers that like to come in a few days and work while they are on vacation, don’t ask me why I think that’s stupid. My question is if I sign the weekly bid to run a said route for that while and the driver decides to come work

Sorry man but I believe you're in the southern correct?

The southern sucks ass.

Screenshot_20191105-191519_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

OKLABob

Absolutely right! Think of the guys who might have wanted a certain time but couldn't get it because it was already full. Then come to work to see JoeDickhead working when he was supposed to be off. We have had guys lose their anniversary time, kid's graduations, weddings, and other big events.
I totally agree. We have a 35 year safe driver who works all 6 weeks of his vacation and request 12 hour days must hate his family life. Also have a guy who is out on injury 8 months out of the year has 0 weeks and still posts weeks of vacation.

scooby0048

Also have a guy who is out on injury 8 months out of the year has 0 weeks and still posts weeks of vacation.

That could be avoided if they didn't make us pick vacations the year prior. This company does some backassward things everyday but the vacation selection and advanced pay are probably the most ridiculous way to do things. Even the Federal and State governments aren't that friend*d up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That could be avoided if they didn't make us pick vacations the year prior. This company does some backassward things everyday but the vacation selection and advanced pay are probably the most ridiculous way to do things. Even the Federal and State governments aren't that friend*d up.

Actually, this would all be avoided if they changed the vacation selection process as such:

First round------all eligible drivers chose two weeks in seniority order.

Second round-----all remaining drivers chose two weeks in seniority order.

Third round-----all remaining drivers chose their remaining week(s) in seniority order.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Sorry man but I believe you're in the southern correct?

The southern sucks ass.

View attachment 270889

In reading that article, I doubt that applies to someone working part of a scheduled

vacation, but probably if you are coming back after an absence of some sort.

ie: workers comp, short-term disability, call-off, sick days.... etc.

The reason being, is because of their vacation language;

"In lieu of time off, employees, at their discretion, may take the pay for said weeks. However, the employee must notify the Employer during September of each year of this request."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18southernsupp.pdf

There is no provision that allows them to break it up into single days or the

ability do it "on the fly" like the Central Region language.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Actually, this would all be avoided if they changed the vacation selection process as such:

Third round-----all remaining drivers chose their remaining week(s) in seniority order.

that’s not how seniority works

scooby0048

That's exactly how it is done here minus the third round. The problem with us is that we are a smaller center and there are only so many slots available to take off and some of the higher seniority guys take two at a time.

I know, not practical or feasible, but there should be a stipulation that people cannot work through their vacations.

542thruNthru

In reading that article, I doubt that applies to someone working part of a scheduled

vacation, but probably if you are coming back after an absence of some sort.

ie: workers comp, short-term disability, call-off, sick days.... etc.

The reason being, is because of their vacation language;

"In lieu of time off, employees, at their discretion, may take the pay for said weeks. However, the employee must notify the Employer during September of each year of this request."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18southernsupp.pdf

There is no provision that allows them to break it up into single days or the

ability do it "on the fly" like the Central Region language.

I don't know. You're probably right but I didn't see anything that prohibited them from working a vacation week. Also that sentence being in the same paragraph as covering weekly vacant routes without excluding vacations makes it seem they can.

Personally I would get clarification from my BA on the issue.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I don't know. You're probably right but I didn't see anything that prohibited them from working a vacation week. Also that sentence being in the same paragraph as covering weekly vacant routes without excluding vacations makes it seem they can.

Personally I would get clarification from my BA on the issue.

They can work their vacation, but they have to declare it in September (for the year)

and there is no provision for them to break up a week into separate days.

But.... I'm not the expert on the Southern Region. ;)