Vandalism on UPS Property

Sammie

I was wondering about the security surrounding your various UPS facilities. Are your UPS sites fenced in and entered with UPS ID only? Or are your sites unprotected? Most of our locations don't happen to be in the best parts of town as we need to be close to the rail and the highway.

We have an ongoing problem with employee vehicle break ins and thefts so I was curious....

Depends on the location. The bigger facilities here are fenced in with electronic i.d. entry. The small ones aren`t much more than a morton building thats locked up at the end of the day.

disneyworld

Our parking lots are not fenced in but they supposedly (or for some people-supposubly) have cameras. But I doubt the people in the guard shack even look at them.

over9five

Staff member
"...problem with employee vehicle break ins and thefts.."

I'm curious. Do the management people park in the same location/Do their cars get broken into?

Channahon

Every large hub I have worked in is fenced in with an employee entrance that requires a UPS ID.
Some employee lots are fenced, however, not the deterrent for thieves, as the are not gates for entering the lot.
One may ask why?
Imagine 200 employees coming in for a sort, and if card access or a guard is used to verify if the employee should park in the lot, a major traffic problem. Employees would have to plan wait time to get in the lot.
And every district I have ever worked in management parks in the same lot. Can't speak for the entire country, only 4 regions and 5 districts.

As far as cameras in the employee entrances, don't discard the idea that they are not reviewed.

Sammie

"...problem with employee vehicle break ins and thefts.."

I'm curious. Do the management people park in the same location/Do their cars get broken into?

Probably without exception, all employees mgmt or not, park in the same lot. It is just unfortunate that although UPS generally own their center locations, the employees are responsible for costs incurred when their vehicles are stolen or broken into on UPS property. We have experienced two break ins in this manner just within our family. This is the way it is, but it doesn't seem fair.

If someone's car was smashed into on my property, would I not be responsible???

upsdude

No security of any kind in my center. We've had a couple cars broken into in the last couple years. Management PCM'd we should lock our cars etc etc. I leave mine unlocked, I'd rather the radio be stolen than a window broken and the radio taken.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
we have an electric fence with barbed wire and armed ss storm troopers in towers around the entire camp!! if you try to go home early or go home paid over or ni' d a stop on purpose they send the dogs after you! but if you had an accident or rude complaint you are shot at the exit gate!! they pile the bodys weekly,put them in a 48 foot rail box and send the to the Chicago Cache,don't know how they get rid of em there sorry!!

Sammie

we have an electric fence with barbed wire and armed ss storm troopers in towers around the entire camp!! if you try to go home early or go home paid over or ni' d a stop on purpose they send the dogs after you! but if you had an accident or rude complaint you are shot at the exit gate!! they pile the bodys weekly,put them in a 48 foot rail box and send the to the Chicago Cache,don't know how they get rid of em there sorry!!

.......Should have known better......

We probably have a monthly incident where someone walks out at night to their car being caved in or no just car at all....
We're in a crummy area with a high crime rate anyway and anybody can wander in. I didn't know if this was the norm
or if other places were more difficult for public access. If you had to pay a couple of grand for repairs when your wheels were finally located, well, never mind!!!!!!!!!
:sad: :confused:1 :ohmy:

In the cafeteria,Soylent Green is people! Yum!

And by the way it`s the Chicago CACH. Cache is french for collection while CACH is french for toilet.

HazMatMan

Let's see, we have to swipe our id card at one turnstyle, once it scans and gives me the green light,(no green light turnstyle won't turn) I walk through the turnstyle, then I go through a metal detector,(security guard standing there checking your id) if it doesn't ring I am good to go. We have employee parking underneath the building, only some employees can park there, done by seniority, the parking is run by an independent company and we pay weekly for the parking.. never heard of any break-ins.

raceanoncr

I was wondering about the security surrounding your various UPS facilities. Are your UPS sites fenced in and entered with UPS ID only? Or are your sites unprotected? Most of our locations don't happen to be in the best parts of town as we need to be close to the rail and the highway.

We have an ongoing problem with employee vehicle break ins and thefts so I was curious....

Got security entrances to building access only. Get metal detected inbound and outbound. I don't have problem with it except for the Rambos that wanna strip search when the beeper goes off in the middle of summer...95 degrees...yer almost in yer skivvies walking through with no apparent hidden contraband and...BINGO! Come on! Be reasonable! OK, I know you can hide TV in unmentionable places, but TODAY?

Also, the employee parking lot? Fenced in but not patrolled. Sign says you're responsible for car and items. OK. Can we have maybe another Barney Fife on patrol here too? On same lot as Customer Counter and most administrative offices.

Oh, but one of our DM's had a RESERVED parking spots, in front of building, within easy walkin distance, in eyeshot of guardshack, so, NO PROBLEM! "NOTHING TO SEE HERE, PEOPLE, KEEP MOVING"

HazMatMan

Got security entrances to building access only. Get metal detected inbound and outbound. I don't have problem with it except for the Rambos that wanna strip search when the beeper goes off in the middle of summer...95 degrees...yer almost in yer skivvies walking through with no apparent hidden contraband and...BINGO! Come on! Be reasonable! OK, I know you can hide TV in unmentionable places, but TODAY?

Also, the employee parking lot? Fenced in but not patrolled. Sign says you're responsible for car and items. OK. Can we have maybe another Barney Fife on patrol here too? On same lot as Customer Counter and most administrative offices.

Oh, but one of our DM's had a RESERVED parking spots, in front of building, within easy walkin distance, in eyeshot of guardshack, so, NO PROBLEM! "NOTHING TO SEE HERE, PEOPLE, KEEP MOVING"

The guards usually pull that crap with the strip search when a superior is standing there. You know, No superiors, a relaxed atmosphere, Superior standing there and it gets like Fort Knox.

over9five

Staff member
We once all signed a paper demanding to be paid untill security was done scanning and searching us.

It never happened, of course, but they did stop the nonsensical stuff.

Something to try....

Raw

Raw Member
Why are you people at a drop of the hat explaining your centers security flaws to a complete stranger! Obviously " Sammie " is a terrorist looking for another terrorism avenue!