Vehicle Accessories (Off Roading)

wkmac

Anybody got any experience with mobile cellphone signal boosters? We were off road today and had intermittent signal loss (AT&T) but wondering if an on board signal booster might make a little difference.

Ideas or experiences are appreciated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's a valid point. Put the damn phone away for a few hours and enjoy your new toy.

My son is coming home for a few days at the end of the month. He is on his phone constantly for work. I am going to do my best to get him to unplug while he is here.

wkmac

It's a valid point. Put the damn phone away for a few hours and enjoy your new toy.

My son is coming home for a few days at the end of the month. He is on his phone constantly for work. I am going to do my best to get him to unplug while he is here.

It has nothing to do with the phone. It is the ability of running navigation software for off road trails or in some cases of actually building a point to point map and then uploading to an open source for others to use the same map. Some of the soft ware is stand alone and some uses Google Earth thus a good connection is needed.

This has nothing to do with a phone calls, FaceBooking or as you do all day during work, posting to BC. You really have no clue so at least be respectful of others and stay out of this conversation.

rod

Retired 22 years
Anybody got any experience with mobile cellphone signal boosters? We were off road today and had intermittent signal loss (AT&T) but wondering if an on board signal booster might make a little difference.

Ideas or experiences are appreciated.

My son-in-law just about cried when he had to spend 4 days camping with us at a place where NOTHING connected to anything. He apparently took for granted that you could be connected everywhere. That's what living in the big city does to a person I guess. I'm sure someone will be glad to take your money and sell you something they say will boost the signal---but I would be wary.

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
My son-in-law just about cried when he had to spend 4 days camping with us at a place where NOTHING connected to anything. He apparently took for granted that you could be connected everywhere. That's what living in the big city does to a person I guess. I'm sure someone will be glad to take your money and sell you something they say will boost the signal---but I would be wary.
Any place that sells you a booster knowing it won't work is shoddy at best as you will just return it when it doesn't work

rod

Retired 22 years
Any place that sells you a booster knowing it won't work is shoddy at best as you will just return it when it doesn't work

I haven't checked any Tech magazines (imagine that) but I would bet if you looked in the back pages there would be a dozen fly by night companies trying to rip people off with miracle boosters. Can I interest you in a miracle antenna that allows you to watch "free" tv?

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
I haven't checked any Tech magazines (imagine that) but I would bet if you looked in the back pages there would be a dozen fly by night companies trying to rip people off with miracle boosters. Can I interest you in a miracle antenna that allows you to watch "free" tv?
I mean these days you can get free tv via the internet

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
ANTBOOSTER-LG.jpg

wkmac

Some of you may be arguing from ignorance.

From the Department of the Navy, Chief Information Officer.

Take Precaution Before Use of Cell Phone Signal Boosters

"Recent changes in Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations governing signal boosters enable the sale of certain types of these boosters within the United States. Signal boosters are devices that can improve cell phone coverage in areas where they do not get a good signal."

As I asked earlier, anyone with direct knowledge or direct use of cellphone signal boosters?

wkmac

There are Sat phones and Sat internet hot spots far cheaper than that. Signal boosters are still cheaper.