Volume this week

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Seeinghabits, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:18 PM.

1. Seeinghabits

Seeinghabits New Member

Anybody else’s station get caught off guard by the volume the past couple days?

I’ve only been here 4 or so years but I’ve never seen it this busy the week after thanksgiving

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

If only there had been some indication that this may have been a possibility.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  3. bbsam

bbsam Moderator Staff Member

I have a feeling the company got caught (again).

The numbers given us to plan for help are way off. I was at 99% of max capacity yesterday and 100% today.

Am I surprised? No. Station management half-heartedly suggested I should have planned for higher. But they concocted the numbers, not me.

4. 59 Dano

59 Dano This is 1980, can't you afford a f***ing haircut?

Are you obligated to take out everything that falls within your routes or just a certain number of stops/packages?

5. bbsam

Certain number of stops.

6. 59 Dano

59 Dano This is 1980, can't you afford a f***ing haircut?

Do they offer any incentive to take out anything beyond that number?

7. robdabanks

robdabanks Member

I don’t know what happened today but I was basically cut in half from a normal day. Not sure if they ran ahead on Monday or if had to due with the weather in some spots in the country.

8. bbsam

No. The incentive begins at about 80% of that number.

And yes, it becomes lucrative and I wish I could take 3 times that number.

But when they give me a max number to plan on, it’s kinda crazy to staff and prep for 2 or 3 times that number.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. McFeely

McFeely Huge Member

Yep. Our station was hammered the last two days. Our mgmt didn’t schedule any of the 4x10 drivers to work their day off so we’re very short staffed for the volume.

Tomorrow is gonna be another goat rodeo I’m sure.

10. instiches

instiches Member

Surprised to hear some of you guys are getting close to the projections. We're about 25% less than the projection they gave us for today before peak started.

11. Purplepackage

Purplepackage Well-Known Member

Ground or Express?

We got hit pretty hard today accompanied with the fact that every flight was late for the second day now.

But don’t worry, we were assured it would be lighter tomorrow

12. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Thank God we don’t have Amazon and Target.

13. Purplepackage

We definitely have target over here, but yeah if we had amazon I’m not sure what we would do.

Co worker showed me a picture from his old station in San Jose, a guy was showing 550 stops today

14. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I wonder what his projected RTB time was? Lol.

15. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

If Christmas didn't change days every year this wouldn't be a problem .

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. instiches

instiches Member

I thought you don't sign the schedule K?

17. bbsam

Didn’t used to. Not sure if I’m glad I did this year or not.

18. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

Express here We were told that we have less volume, but we are running more routes than last year.
    But our overflow routes are topping 100stops, many ~70-80 stop routes going out 120+ this is a week earlier than normal.

19. McFeely

McFeely Huge Member

We have 6 less days this year between Thanksgiving and Xmas compared to 2018, I’m sure we’re gonna feel it all thru peak.

20. Purplepackage

They are absolutely telling us we have less volume, which apparently doesn’t matter with a week less before Christmas.

We are also getting the “it will be lighter tomorrow” every morning. As though the more they say it they kind of hope it will come true