Voluntary layoffs

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I guess that makes sense but it still doesn't pass the smell test.

For us the company had to put in something like $.50 for each hour worked. When fully funded it supplemented unemployment to pay 95% of a 40 hour week. When the funding was low people would only get like an extra $125 every 2nd or 3rd week because it had to be at a certain dollar amount to pay anything.

It sounds like you are mistakingly thinking unemployment is like welfare but it isn't, it's a corporate tax.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I do see your logic and admit that I did not think of it from that perspective; however, that being said, I personally would not feel right sitting at home when I am fully capable of working.

Fair enough.

I realize that; however, it still wouldn't sit right to turn down work and to sit home and get paid for doing so.

But, by bumping 2 part timers, you are forcing them to sit home and get paid for doing nothing. And, you may be able to afford it, whereas the part timers may not. Somebody is going to be laid off and paid for sitting at home.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Respect seniority. You work... let them file for unemployment. It makes you look lazy and it should hurt your pride to take a handout when you don't need to. That is an integrity issue.

Someone else who cares only about himself and no one else. Screw the part timer. I can afford the lay off, and they probably can't, but I'm going to force them out of work just so I don't look "lazy."

This is not an integrity issue. If I can afford the lay off, and the part timers can't, I will let them work. Apparently, you don't care about anyone else but yourself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Someone else who cares only about himself and no one else. Screw the part timer. I can afford the lay off, and they probably can't, but I'm going to force them out of work just so I don't look "lazy."

This is not an integrity issue. If I can afford the lay off, and the part timers can't, I will let them work. Apparently, you don't care about anyone else but yourself.

...and your point....?

This is (was) my career. This is just a PT job for them. Damn right I am going to take care of me first.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
...and your point....?

This is (was) my career. This is just a PT job for them. Damn right I am going to take care of me first.

My point?

My point is that it is fine for you to look out for yourself and bump 2 part timers, but you seem to have an issue if someone else elects to take a lay off and let those part timers work. I believe you referred to it as "laziness."

I am pretty well off and can very well afford a few weeks laid off. I know some of these part timers can't. And no, some do not live on a part time job. This is their 2nd job to help support their family. They are not as lucky as you to have enough seniority to be a driver yet, or to have another well paying job. I know, I was there once.

And this is the job that provides their insurance. Until 3 days ago, Teamcare would have cut them off if laid off, and the COBRA payment was more than their unemployment check.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Maybe not where you are but the "leaders" around here definitely make the buffet people nervous when they waddle in. I'm glad you supposedly do the right thing. Not here.

The members have the opportunity every 3 years, to make a change.

If they don't.... I'm sure "some people" might take advantage of the position.