Voluntary layoffs

Ghost in the Darkness

Better yet, go into management. You can do nothing all day and still get paid.... and you can still show the part timers you care by vacating a job and showing them how they should be treated by management.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Better yet, go into management. You can do nothing all day and still get paid.... and you can still show the part timers you care by vacating a job and showing them how they should be treated by management.
Uh, you have the wrong guy there. The dude has guts. You just have a difference of opinion at the moment.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I said that I'd be willing to take a layoff to allow somebody else to work who may need the money.

And you equate that to me quitting, or me going into management.

Nobody ever accused you of being too bright, did they?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Works for some, but not most. That's why one should only get into it if they have a viable plan not to end up like most drivers, and they have few other options. Then it makes sense.
Works for at least 120,000 current drivers at ups.
Some dont even have to work every day because of the money they make.

Ghost in the Darkness

They would get money for unemployment, part timers aren't getting rich working just at ups. I worked 2 sometimes 3 jobs to earn an adaquate income. You make a choice and make it work as so many other part timers do. Many stay part time and work another job instead of driving at ups. This has been done before. When i was on vacation i would work more hours at the other job.
You prbly don't even know the people you claim you are helping... its just a chance to get out of work.
Are you and the other high seniority lining up and arguing over who gets to sit home? What a place to work that must be. Maybe if its such a sacrifice for you, maybe you should have to use all your optional, sick and vacation to do it... then we can decide if you are the Hero you think you are.

Last edited:

wilberforce15

Works for at least 120,000 current drivers at ups.
Some dont even have to work every day because of the money they make.

No, it doesn't work for most current drivers.

Our parking lot is full of beaters because they all have two exwives eating up their paychecks, so they can pay off their mcmansion for the exwifes boyfriend. Eventually, they'll retire with two blown knees so they can't even build trinkets in their mancave carpenter shop. And then die at 68.

Ive seen that story too many times.

I've never seen such a large group of poor, pathetic, depressed creatures making 100k in my life.

Over70irregs

Our parking lot is full of beaters because they all have two exwives eating up their paychecks, so they can pay off their mcmansion for the exwifes boyfriend. Eventually, they'll retire with two blown knees so they can't even build trinkets in their mancave carpenter shop. And then die at 68.

I've never seen such a large group of poor, pathetic, depressed creatures making 100k in my life.
Screenshot. Automatic classic.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

Or maybe some people choose not to pay a mortgage on a car. Hell for me it's a monthly hobby to buy tools,go to the junkyard and find a piece to swap out on my old high school (backup beater) vehicle.

wilberforce15

Or maybe some people choose not to pay a mortgage on a car. Hell for me it's a monthly hobby to buy tools,go to the junkyard and find a piece to swap out on my old high school (backup beater) vehicle.

Sure, some are like that.

But most of them are driving beaters because they're still paying for bad decisions, bad luck, and a stressful job that messed up a lot in their lives.

wilberforce15

The hate you have for drivers is hilarious.

Pity is not hate.

It's admiration, in a sense. I can't believe how much they put up with, and yet we don't have people going Parcel every week. I suppose that would be our version of going postal.

Have you ever seen two drivers walking away from work at the end of the day, and they're not bitching to each other about their day?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The beauty of leasing a brand new car is not having to spend time at the junkyard on the weekend finding parts to fix it up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sure, some are like that.

But most of them are driving beaters because they're still paying for bad decisions, bad luck, and a stressful job that messed up a lot in their lives.

Yeah, we had a few of those-----we even had one guy who retired and was served with divorce papers within a month-----but for the most part we had guys who liked their new toys.

I lived a fairly frugal lifestyle but do like my new cars.

542thruNthru

Have you ever seen two drivers walking away from work at the end of the day, and they're not bitching to each other about their day?

Um I see it all the time. I also don't know many drivers that are divorced. I do know many drivers that driver beaters to work because they car pool or because they are more gas efficient.

Are there miserable drivers. Yes of course but I see as many or more miserable PTers.

Either way, your views are jaded because you were hurt by some FT driver at one point and now you feel the need to act superior. Was it when you were a supervisor?